i'm new to this....

andy46
andy46 Posts: 1,666
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
hello everyone, i've just got into mtbs just over a year ago as i never learnt to ride a bike as a kid :oops: (mind you through no fault of my own) some lads at work got me interested so i thought i'd give it a go and got myself a cheap hardtail. However i've been bitten by the bug and have just got myself a scott spark. Now i always ride on my own but the lads where i work want me to go with them to dalby or some other trail centre during the summer months, however they don't know just how "new" to this i am. if i decide to go do you think that i would be biting off more than i could chew and risk looking an idiot because i know that they are a bunch of good riders and are always on about this red route and that black route. I ride to work some days and i'm quite confident on the road and i am quite fit it's just i don't know what to expect, any advice would be really appreciated, thank you.
2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    tell them.

sorted.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Dalby Red is a long, but fairly tame course.
  • andy46
    tell them.

sorted.
    would you want a newbie slowing you down. i ride for fun :D but these guys take it pretty serious.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If they ask you along, then complain, then they are not very good riding companions really! Go at your own pace - they should wait where applicable.
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    say this;

guys, Ive not been riding long and Im not comfortable with this trail. if you feel I will slow you down then go on without me or go at my pace. I would prefer it if at least one of you stayed with me, but the rest of you dont have to. thanks,
  • keirtristan
    keirtristan Posts: 296
    Just be straight with them and advise that they may have to stop and wait at several points.

Went to Sherwood Pines this Sunday and there were people of varying ability levels, one guy who had done a bit of DH racing and another who isn't very ft. We just were just patient and waited for the slowest rider, no bad feeling and everybody enjoyed their day.

I've also been snowboarding for 7 years and rarely get to finish a run without stopping and waiting for someone, even those who take seriously and doing it because it's fun and when you're riding with people it's as much about the social aspect as it si the thrill of riding.

If they don;t ask you back again then find some more forgiving riding buddies.
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    yeah, if they are your mates they will (or should!) wait for you.

If Im riding with friends, or walking up Snowdon, we all wait for each other, or go at the pace of the slowest person. Its no fun to see a pal struggling.

Tell them the situation. You never know tho, you may be fitter and quicker than they are!
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • andy46
    Si78 wrote:
    yeah, if they are your mates they will (or should!) wait for you.

If Im riding with friends, or walking up Snowdon, we all wait for each other, or go at the pace of the slowest person. Its no fun to see a pal struggling.

Tell them the situation. You never know tho, you may be fitter and quicker than they are!
    now that would be funny :lol: i normaly do about 30-35 miles on my usual sunday morning ride it's only the technical stuff thats bothering me... what the hell i'll give it a go!
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Si78
    Good on ya!

Just go your own pace, dont get forced to go down anything you dont fancy going down, and build up your confidence.

I think fatigue is the biggest problem for us beginers. It affects your concentration, judgement, balance. Everything!

If your are happy riding 35 miles, then you are 90% there. The rest just comes down to experience and practice I reckon.

As my fitness has improved Ive found that I am much more confident.
  • andy46
    out of them 35 miles there's only about 6 miles off road through some woods and local farm tracks the rest is on the road, i know its not really what my bike is designed for but thats why i got a mtb so i could do a bit of everything :)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Si78
    andy46 wrote:
    out of them 35 miles there's only about 6 miles off road through some woods and local farm tracks the rest is on the road, i know its not really what my bike is designed for but thats why i got a mtb so i could do a bit of everything :)

I do 12 miles to work and back on the road / cycle path most days (with semi slick tyres fitted). Then swap my wheels over for the weekend in the forest.

That is why mountain bikes are the best in my opinion. Jack-of-all-trades!

Doesnt matter where or on what you are riding...Time on the bike is all good experience and practice.
  • andy46
    i have thought about getting some semi slicks, don't know if i should put some on my hardtail or sell it and get another set of wheels for my other bike, any suggestions?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Si78
    The scott spark is a full sus aint it?

Will be harder to ride on the road than a hardtail. Takes a lot more effort.
    Maybe buy some cheap slicks for the hardtail and use it when you ride on the roads. Keep the scott for off roading.

I bought some wheels, brake rotors and a cassette and fitted my semi slicks to them. Kept my knobblies on the nice Ritchey wheels which came with the bike.
  • andy46
    yes the scott is full sus but it does have the remote lockout on the rear, i've heard some people complain about a bobin when locked out but i have not experienced this as i am not that heavy
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Si78
    What make/model is your hardtail?

Is it worth keeping to use as a hack bike?

All Im thinking is that it might be good to have a cheap hardtail for popping to the shops on and just generally 'messing' about on, without you having to worry about damaging it, or it getting robbed.

Keep the new bike for best, and for showing off! 8)

What model is the scott spark by the way?
  • andy46
    the hardtail is a 2009 specialized hardrock sport and my other is a 2009 scott spark 50, she's my pride and joy :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Si78
    Both nice bikes mate! The way you were talking I thought 'the cheap hardtail' would be an apollo or something lol

Personally, I would keep the specialized, bang some slicks on it and use it on the roads / cyclepaths etc

Depends if you have the room for both, or want to sell the spesh to get some cash to spend on the new steed.

The choice, as they say, is yours.
  • andy46
    i got an apollo first but everything went wrong on it,and that put me off for a while. then i got the spesh. i think i will hang on to it, i am quite fond of that bike! what slcks do i go for do i need to get some that are more narrow?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Si78
    lol, yeah apollos do that!

I would post the question about which slicks in the 'buying advice' section.

Ive got some Michelin semi slicks. I got them cos they had a punture prevention layer in them, and they were cheap. £10 each on CRC.
    They are quite heavy tho :cry:

Im sure there are lots of people on here who can recommend something better.

The narrower they are, the less rolling resistance they will have. Also you can pump them up more than knobblys. I have mine pumped up to about 70-75 psi.

I wouldnt go below 1.4 wide. I think if you stay above 1.6 you can use the same inner tubes as a 2.1 knobbly tyre. I may be wrong tho!
  • andy46
    Si78 wrote:
    lol, yeah apollos do that!

I would post the question about which slicks in the 'buying advice' section.

Ive got some Michelin semi slicks. I got them cos they had a punture prevention layer in them, and they were cheap. £10 each on CRC.
    They are quite heavy tho :cry:

Im sure there are lots of people on here who can recommend something better.

The narrower they are, the less rolling resistance they will have. Also you can pump them up more than knobblys. I have mine pumped up to about 70-75 psi.

I wouldnt go below 1.4 wide. I think if you stay above 1.6 you can use the same inner tubes as a 2.1 knobbly tyre. I may be wrong tho!

thank's for the advice i'll post the question like you say, cheer's
    2019 Ribble CGR SL