Most important: Frame or Groupset?

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
A friend has asked for some help in buying a new bike around the £1k mark. What is most important when making your choice - frame or groupset?
I'm inclined to go for frame but my husband is focusing on groupset. I've seen some nice carbon frames with shimano 105 for around that price - my husband is looking at alu frames with ultegra? is there such a massive difference between 105 and ultegra?
What you say? Any advice (including recommendations on bikes would be welcome)

Cheers
Karen

Comments

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Frame is more important! Not necessarily the material, but the quality. A groupset can be upgraded bit by bit relatively cheaply, a frame can't.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Carbon is not necessarily better than alloy. For around the 1K mark I'd be looking at something like a CAAD9.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    frame without doubt
  • guilliano
    Think about it this way....... would you put a Dura Ace groupset onto a frame from a £250 halfords jobbie and say it must be a great bike cos it's got Dura Ace?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    The frame is the heart and soul of the bike.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • popette
    Thanks for your quick replies :D
    How would you determine a good quality frame? Would a Focus Cayo qualify?
    I always fancied cannondale synapse or specialized roubaix - because they are supposed to be more comfortable rides? can you just trust the big brands or is there something else that one should be looking for when looking for a good frame?

Thanks in advance
    x
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Frame of course.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    edited June 2009
    popette wrote:
    I always fancied cannondale synapse or specialized roubaix - because they are supposed to be more comfortable rides? can you just trust the big brands or is there something else that one should be looking for when looking for a good frame?

Thanks in advance
    x

It all depends on use and purpose, the Cayo is a good value frame, a couple of people at my club have them and seem pretty happy with it but they are quite young and flexible so might suit the more racier stance than say the Roubaix. I love my Orbea Onix and find it comfortable but again some find them quite stiff and quick steering, finish on the Orbea is great and its looks always gets commented on. Maybe a bit out of the price bracket but certainly worth a look is the Cervelo S1 it might be ali' but the ride and handling are raved about by those that have them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    For 1k I'd be straight to my local Cannondale dealer and poichasing a CAAD9 105.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I'd be straight onto Planet X website to see what deals they have on an SL carbon
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Planet X SL carbon with Ultegra and decent wheels for £1200. Over budget, admittedly.
  • popette
    yeh, I like the look of that planet x. I think it would be worth pushing the boat out just a little bit further.

Cheers all
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    Frame, then wheels and tyres.
    The rest is dependant on your wallet and weight.
  • Big Dave
    Big Dave Posts: 85
    I'd definitely check out some of the smaller British and European frame brands if I were you as brands like Cannondale always carry a premium because of the name. To be honest though, if you're looking around the £1k mark for the final build cost you would probably be better off looking to buy a complete bike. Unless you are totally ruthless in going after decent quality components at knock down prices it could be quite pricey. A single speed MTB I built over the winter was knocking on £1k by the time I'd finished it even after scouring the internet for the best possible discounts. Damn thing doesn't even have any suspension!

My Surly Cross Check is now nearing completion and that will end up fairly pricey by the time I'm done as well.

I ain't fat, merely optimised for gravity.
  • Talking to one of our club riders and he has an Italian framed Casati (of considerable cost) then later bought a Ribble Scuro framed carbon bike as a winter hack. When he compared frames he found they were identical yet the cost of the whole Ribble with Ultegra spec was cheaper than the frame and forks of the Casati :shock: There's paying for the name. He says there is no difference in the ride quality between the bikes and thinks the Ribble's great.
  • CAAD 9 - awesome!!
  • guilliano
    Trek 1.7 also worth a mention...... same frame and fork as the 1.9 that so impressed the reviewers in the C+ bike of the year test
  • I've had a ribble nero corsa for about a year now & its fantastic. Very light & performs very well. for about 1k it comes with Ultegra.

I think the best place to spend your money is to get the best wheels possible - Neutrons for example. I've just upgraded the wheels it came with to Fulcrum Racing 1's (some money burning a hole in my pocket) and the difference in the quality of the ride is very noticable - much less road vibration through the handlebars which is great for sportives - and an extra 1 or 2 kph average speed.
  • crabstix
    crabstix Posts: 61
    popette wrote:

Thanks in advance
    x

I bought a Focus Cuelbro last year(Alu frame and SRAM Rival GS) and have just popped for a Cayo (Carbon) with Chorus 11.

I think they are both great value.

The Cuelbro is, despite being the same size as the Cayo, somewhat longer/reachier. Being alu it is very sensitive to the road and somewhat twitchy so isn't a fully relaxed ride. The Cayo in contrast is somewhat more relaxed and smoother over the road... steers like its on rails. The Chorus 11s is great, but so is the SRAM! I would guess that neither would be first choice for a sportive but I have done 80's on the Cuelbro through rain, snow, sleet and gales and it seems comfy enough for me... and I am 52 years old and not that flexible.. Not a snake, more a bear! I have only had the Cayo over 100 miles so far but it fair skipped uphill (and I am no climber, believe me) and I put this down to the package being more efficient overall.... stiffer frame, BB, crank etc. I certainly went up gradients on smaller cogs than usual... but that could have been the 'new' effect.

In answer to your question, FRAME. But the entire package is the thing.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes, the frame but get the components you want at the point of purchase rather than paying more to upgrade later. You have to strike a balance.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'd go frame - though I think there has to be some degree of matching the quality of components - no point in buying a 3k frame and then sticking Sora and a set of £100 wheels on it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.