Recommendations in West Scotland, Skye etc

Finding attractive cycling roads among lochs, islands and mountains might indeed be as easy as falling off a log, but any specific suggestions for short or long rides would be very welcome.
I'm picking up my support vehicle (to be driven by my wife) and heading north/northwest from Glasgow. The bike can easily be popped back in the car for boring bits. We'll be there for a week.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nick

Comments

• I'm assuming going over the campsies and pressing on toward Callander is too central.

If you're headed up the coast toward Skye, you could do a lot worse than drive to Helensburgh, then cycle on the A814 past RNAD Coulport toward Arrochar. Then turn left onto the A83 and over the rest and be thankful, and onwards to Inveraray. Pretty flat route to that point. I ride it (and back) occasionally from Glasgow which is about 105 miles.

From Inveraray, take the A819 to Loch Awe. There you could chose whether to turn right (Tyndrum, Bridge of Orchy, Glencoe, Fort William) or left (Oban via slight detour, Connel, Appin, Ballachulish, Fort William). Either way would be nice, with the latter being much the quieter route traffic wise.

After Fort William you could either go to Maillaig on the A830 and take the ferry to the southernmost tip of Skye. I cycled this in the mid nineties, and it's flat as a pancake to Glenfinnan, and then it's up and down like a hoor's drawers!

Alternatively, from Fort William you could continue on the A82 to Spean Bridge before turning left up to Invergarry and left again to go past Eilean Donan castle (of Highlander fame) just before the Kyle of Lochalsh. Not cycled this bit, but having driven it for hillwalking, I think it might be quite tough at points.

Whichever route you take, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    The further north and west you go the better to be honest. Every road is the scenic route, however there can be a distinct lack of easy loops as most places only have one road in and out.

Get to Ullapool and cycle to Achiltibuie. The view over the Summer Isles is amazing.

The Bealach sportive is a great route. And you'll get to climp the UK's Alpe d'Huez :)

The roads around the North coast especially between Tongue and Durness and then down the west coast are brilliant.

On Skye, all the loops leave from Portree. You will want to go via the Quiraing. It's a lovely wee road - http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcollingridge/1589718737/

You can even do a coast to coast in a few hours. I did Alness to Ullapool in about 4 hours. Do look at elevation profiles before you go. A seemingly easy 60 miler can end up being a lengthy slog. Any coastal route will be lumpy. There are no flat rides around the edge.

Feel free to ask questions about more specific routes or areas, I'm a Higlander and only to happy to help show the place off :)
  • Sorry for delayed reply - thanks very much for taking the time to write the advice guys.
    Part the way through the trip at the mo. Have followed the advice re Skye and Quirang so far. Still aim to do more on Skye and some on the mainland.
    Also wonderful on Harris/Lewis.