Pyrenees in the big chain ring?

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Anyone here who has ridden in the Pyrenees believe it's possible to climb these in the big chain ring? I'm asking because a few years ago Rudy Pevenage said that Jan Ullrich was doing exactly that to prepare himself for the Tour. Take the Col de la Madeleine: South side over 19 km, ave. gradient 8%? That's an emergency sprocket job! Maybe Pevenage was exagerating Ullrich's strength. And please, no "I could do it if I took what he took" comments. Here in Germany you don't hear about cycling anymore, just doping. Besides, my opinion is that a pro can do what he can do anyhow and the dope simply makes him do this faster.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ullrich ist der Kaiser. That's why he can do it. The man is a legend.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Big ring + mountain pass = duff knee.

Wounded knee ends Ullrich's Tour hopes :idea:
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    I rode some of the climbs in the Pyreness and the alps on the big ring.
    well to say I rode them was an understatement, i but it into the big ring on parts of luz ardiden, aubisque, alp d'huez, etc.. but i was going so slow, a line of ants smoked me on the hair pin.
    can it be done, yes.
    will you have kness that bleed afterwards, yes.
    can you power train on them, yes.
    can you go like a motor bike and race up them if you are full of gear, probably.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Am sure there was a regular on these forums not long ago who said he was spinning out all the time on a 53/11 and needed bigger gears or summat.
    Can't remember who it was but am sure he would make Ulrich look like ein OAP riding a zimmer frame up these climbs.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I guess that is how he built these beasts:

n788116797_1098217_4120.jpg

Still I think the small ring is pretty much mandatory unless you are Virenque.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Madeleine is a bit east of the Pyrenees, but an interesting question. There are certain climbs that start steady and become progressively steeper only nearer the end -- e.g. the north side of the Marie-Blanc, which is relatively flat initially but progressively steepens and ends at something like a 12% average in the final kilometre. It would be like doing some kind of VO2 test to big ring it all the way.

I would guess it was just headline-targeted fighting talk from Pevenage, though it does sumarize the Ullrich style of racing -- all strength, no tactical cunning.