Where to go in France

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Not sure this is in entirely the correct section as we will be "touring" by car and cycling from a base but...

We will be heading across to Mont Ventoux for the TDF, leaving the UK the night of the 20th and returning the 28th. Whilst at Ventoux we will be having a crack at the Cingles so will want to be there on the Thursday or Friday, leaving us just 2 days to make our way down to Ventoux. Along the way I'd like to do a warm up ride and take in some of the sights of France. I've been to the Alps before and to the Pyrennees and want to see something new.

So, suggestions please as to where to go?

Comments

• CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Hi Clanton

You could always do the Route des Grandes Alpes, that starts off near Geneva, and finishes in Nice, but you could amend the route to take you to the Ventoux region.
    It takes you up over many of the famous Alp climbs, like the Col de L'Iseran, the Galibier and the Izoard.

Try this link
    http://www.grande-traversee-alpes.com/e ... trail.html

Good luck in whatever you decide. :D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • clanton
    That looks fantastic! Its probably a bit more than we'll manage for this trip but definitely a great option for the future. Thanks.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Try the Vercors, immediately W of Grenoble
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    andrew_s wrote:
    Try the Vercors, immediately W of Grenoble

Couldn't agree more. A beautiful and little visited area and not too far from the Ventoux. In fact we cycle camped from there to Sault the first time we rode the Ventoux.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • clanton
    Thanks for the advice! Looks like it might be just the ticket.
  • marmitecp
    marmitecp Posts: 203
    I'm staying in Aubignon (not far from Bedoin) the week before the tour stage so I'll be having a crack at all 3 routes up the Ventoux. No way I'm trying all 3 in one day though, certainly not in July!
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I've just got back yesterday from doing the Route des Grandes Alpes, and it really is a fantastic route, it's the best weeks cycling I have done...
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • clanton
    We only managed one night in the Vercors in the end but enjoyed it hugely. We stayed in Gresse-en-Vercors and cycled from there, doing two shortish rides but with some great climbs and descents. Definitely heading back that way! Thanks for the advice.