Valverde joins Astana...

SpaceJunk
SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Well kind of.

Today's CN:

The first of them, Alberto Contador, clearly assisted Valverde at the Dauphiné every time that Cadel Evans attacked. Valverde denied there was an agreement between them but their cooperation was obvious. "If I can help him at the Tour de France, I'll do it," Valverde said to a question about the possible help that Contador could look for in case of an offensive by Lance Armstrong.

Perhaps Valverde might think that the ASO/UCI will have their appetites whetted by the thought of the two Spanairds ganging up on LA, and he won't get ban???

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/jun09/jun15news[/b]

Comments

• Can i just ask as a newcomer to cycling, why was it so obvious that Contador 'clearly assisted' Valverde every time Evans attacked? Could somebody explain to me how he did this tactically as i doubt it was that obvious to someone who is quite new to the sport.

Thanks.
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    He leant him a syringe full of "vitamins" on each stage. :lol:
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Having watched Europsort's coverage of today's stage, VV did give AC a big pat on the shoulder towards the top of the last climb!
    The were certainly never any delayed response from Contador, whenever Evans attacked, he was straight after him, no waiting for VV to do it.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Don't see,for a minute,how he can assist contador at the TDF.
    One stage ventures into Italy,& Valverde is BANNED in Italy,so,a bit of a lame offer,really
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Contador did a lot to help to help Valverde during the Dauphine, no searing attacks but steady pacing to bring back Evans or Gesink. The idea is that if Contador gets the cold shoulder from Team Armstrong, he can perhaps count on Spanish support from Caisse d'Epargne in July.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Don't see,for a minute,how he can assist contador at the TDF.
    One stage ventures into Italy,& Valverde is BANNED in Italy,so,a bit of a lame offer,really

It's an "if I'm allowed to ride" offer Nick! Valverde is still making optimistic noises (in public at least) that they might change their minds.
  • Unsheath
    Unsheath Posts: 49
    Why not, they shared the same clinic.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Anyone else think Contador is helping out a future team mate now that Astana might be f*cked
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Timoid. wrote:
    Anyone else think Contador is helping out a future team mate now that Astana might be f*cked

Not sure of the details of the Astana case but i had wondered that too
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Timoid. wrote:

I think he'll join them next year if not this year.

Contador never attacked Valverde or counter attacked Evans. He had no real reason to be up there if he didn't make any attempt to attack Valverde. Unless he was helping Valverde that is.

It would have seemed more obvious if the commentary team had realised/admitted what was happening. It was only when Contador got a pat on the shoulder that they even mentioned it. And even then, they put it down to being Spanish.

It's far more likely that Contador realises he might be without much team support and Caisse d'Epargne might be without their GC contender. Caisse d'Epargne have 2 reasons now to help Contador in the tour if he needs it. Firstly for his work helping Valverde and secondly so that when they sign him next year, he's the reigning TDF champion.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Being an Aussie ill be strung up for this, but i loved the fact that there was such an obvious pact made. This is what i love about cycling what other sport would have two rivals making such an obvious play and it not be looked at twice. Also it made Evans attack and hopefully he now realises he can blame others for not helping him to win stages but in the end you have to make your own plays.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • SpaceJunk
    Being an Aussie ill be strung up for this, but i loved the fact that there was such an obvious pact made. This is what i love about cycling what other sport would have two rivals making such an obvious play and it not be looked at twice. Also it made Evans attack and hopefully he now realises he can blame others for not helping him to win stages but in the end you have to make your own plays.

I totally agree Richard. And you never know, one of the repercussions from all of this could be that Cadel has learnt that he has the ability to attack.
  • Im not holding my breath but you can hope cant you? :wink:
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Cadel was awesome - two of the best climbers in the world and he still attacked and made them suffer. it can only bode well for July.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    i loved the fact that there was such an obvious pact made. This is what i love about cycling what other sport would have two rivals making such an obvious play and it not be looked at twice.

Me too. There's just so much going on in a stage race. I can't think of another sport that is similar to it
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • SpaceJunk
    dulldave wrote:
    i loved the fact that there was such an obvious pact made. This is what i love about cycling what other sport would have two rivals making such an obvious play and it not be looked at twice.

Me too. There's just so much going on in a stage race. I can't think of another sport that is similar to it

Well the cynics believe there may have been a bit of collusion between Toyota and McLaren last year in the final F1 race to allow Hamilton to win the championship. :wink:

But I agree, its one of the things that make this such an engrossing and unique sport.
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    If Astana still make it to the TdF I'm sure Armstrong and the rest of the team will give full support to Contador if he shows he has the form to make it into Paris wearing yellow. I can't see Armstrong on the podium this year from his performances to date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy