Litter thrown by cyclists on sportifs.....grrrr!

2»

Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Well, not exactly. After one of the big granfondos there is often a lot of litter, especially at the beginning of a descent after a long climb, but these organisers have a small army of volunteers who follow the route during the evening and clear up everything.
  • I've always found there to be plenty of room up a lycra shorts leg for used wrappers, this does however often mean they end up on the floor at home.

Better there than out on the hills.
  • bprice
    bprice Posts: 61
    Cheers Fellas. I started this debate and Ive been amazed at the response. Personally If I had seen anyone throw litter I would have certainly said something.
    Ive just done the Dartmoor Classic and there was nowhere near the amount of litter dumped as the Dragon. I did notice a sign at the registration tent instructing riders on the dos and donts and that included littering. So it may have worked.
  • Bolshy
    Bolshy Posts: 1
    I'm thrilled to hear that I'm not the only cyclist disappointed to see fellow cyclists dropping litter...

There's no excuse for dropping litter anywhere - even when riding the biggest bike race in the world - Le Tour De France. I've been dismayed by Tour riders dropping litter.
    Surely, the UCI should be making a stand here and setting an example to cycling fans young and old watching the race, by penalising participants that litter the beautiful countryside that makes this race so spectacular!
    If it's stopped at this level, then there's a chance that events in the UK will also be cleaned up....

Please take your litter home so we can ALL enjoy our beautiful countryside for many years to come..!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    One thing I have noticed is the number of inner tubes being left at the roadside - went on a 20k ride today and noticed 4 inners by the side of the road
  • sudholz
    sudholz Posts: 69
    Hello everyone. This thread is one that chimes with me as well.

I did the Maratona dles Dolomites a few weeks back and was staggered by the amount of litter thrown by loser wannabe pros. The funny thing was that the guy who finished 2nd (it is actually a race like most of the continental events) was diqualified for chucking a bottle. Generally though, it was on a scale that was way beyond anything I have seen on a British sportive (not that it makes us any better of course). I saw a couple of poor sods sweeping the valley road in the pissing rain the next day and gave them the big bravo as we drove past.

A fellow club member has also recounted a fairly hair-raising story of a recent event where a member of the public attempting to remonstrate with a littering cyclist ended up in a roadside brawl...great for the public image! :shock:

Anyway during the ride, to take my mind off the pain of climbing the Giau I started to think about a food wrapper barcoding scheme that sportive organisers could employ. All participants would get a load of adhesive barcode labels linked to their ride numbers that they would be required to stick on to their food (and bottles?). Spot checks of pockets at the start would ensure compliance (or disqualification). The barcode would also have instructions for members of the public to report found litter to the organsiers as well.

Any rubbish found on the route would mean instant disqualification and a fine to help pay for the cleanup...no excuses...no exceptions. That'd learn 'em.

It is a shame that cyclists can't be relied on t do this voluntarily...compulsion seems to be the only way.
    Well. Certaintly...
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    sudholz wrote:

Anyway during the ride, to take my mind off the pain of climbing the Giau I started to think about
    a food wrapper barcoding scheme that sportive organisers could employ.

***All participants would get a load of adhesive barcode labels linked to their ride numbers
    that they would be required to stick on to their food (and bottles?).

Someone would have to pay to produce the adhesive barcodes, a cost that would
    probably be passed on to the rider. If a rider has his or her food in their back pocket,
    who's going to force them to stick the barcode labels on?

***Spot checks of pockets at the start would ensure compliance (or disqualification). The barcode would
    also have instructions for members of the public to report found litter to the organsiers as well.

How many people do you spot check? Do you think members of the public will
    voluntarily pick up litter?

***Any rubbish found on the route would mean instant disqualification and a fine to help pay for the cleanup
    ...no excuses...no exceptions. That'd learn 'em.

Who would administer the fine? Would they have the legal authority to do so?

Just thinking out loud.