Surry 100

cjms85
cjms85 Posts: 24
Hi all,

After yesterday's fun with the Northern Rock Cyclone 100 miler, I've decided to do another sportive event, and this time its the Surrey 100. Basically I'm trying to find out if anyone on the forums is planning to go, as my bike and I could use a lift to the event?

I live in the Orpington/Bromley area, and am happy to pay half the petrol costs if anyone fancies saving themselves some money. I'm not too bothered about the return journey as I will probably get a train home as I may be faster or slower than you and don't want to keep you waiting around at the end etc. If I could I would get the train there in the morning, but unfortunately the first one to arrive in Guildford from Orpington is after the last start time for the event.

If you can provide a lift leave a message on here and we can PM to sort out the final details

Anyway here's to hoping!

Chris

Comments

• cjms85
    cjms85 Posts: 24
    Sorry I don't like doing this, but ... bump.
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    Sorry Chris, cant help with lift!

But, better than starting another thread thought I would ask here.......anyone else doing this 100, looks to have a couple of well known hills on it???

Shane
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    can't help with getting there but i'm doing this event. it goes over part of the Hell of the Ashdown route I think and finishes on Box Hill which is going to be tough after all that hard work before hand.

After not finishing any of the events i've entered so far this year I really hope I can make it to the end of this one
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    pace yourself at the begining, I found that I was starting too quick and struggling for the last 20, once I 'slowed down' a bit at the start I enjoyed the whole 100 mile 'thing' a lot more........good luck

Shane
  • Arpy
    Arpy Posts: 8
    Just completed my first 100m sportive, great fun if a little bit frustrating at times given the three punctures I had enroute (compounded by the valve on one inner tube snapping just as i'd inflated it and the second tubes faulty valve).

A nice mix of hills and rolling flats, bonked just after Box Hill which made the last hill somewhat of a struggle...

Would just like to thank the two chaps from JP Morgan for the lend of a pump and the chap on the Kirin, who was a lifesaver with his puncture repair kit.

Great to see a route with a bike shop the way to stop on supplies (Southdown cycles)

Arpy

Trek 1.9
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    great event. Had troubling finding that start so didn't get off until about 9 ish. Took me about 8 hours 30 mins to cover the course with a bit of walking up some of the hills.

Really well organised and nice friendly people at each of the feed stops which was good. First time ever i've actually got to the end of the course so nice sense of achievement.

managed to get a better top speed than I did going down the Alps too. Some of the descents aren't great through the Ashdown forest though. First one on small lanes we took really easy. On one sharp bend we went really slow but it was so steep we could both feel the weight of the bike going to the front and almost tipping over the bike.

Look forward to doing it again next year