Spesh Myka FSR Comp 09

finlayson99
finlayson99 Posts: 213
edited June 2009 in Women
Good Morning Ladies,
A question please.
My lovely wife has taken the "if you can't beat them, join them" attitude and has consequently been bitten by the MTB bug. Both myself and the 2 sprogs are v keen MTBers. She rides an old skool 1995 GF Tassajara rigid :roll: at present but is obviously looking to change to something from the 21st century and more comfy. Budget £1000.
Anyone got a Myka FSR Comp ? It gets really good reviews and the price is right but I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has one.
Cheers.
SC Heckler
Chopper Mk2
Grifter
Merlin Malt-CR
Revolution Courier 2

Comments

• Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    If you're going to spend that kind of cash, I'd get her to try a few out for herself, then look for reviews when she's picked a couple she likes.

If it doesn't fitter, it doesn't matter how good a bike it is :)
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • finlayson99
    Couldn't agree more and of course the choice is hers but it is interesting to hear the views of people who ride bikes for real and not just the views of people paid to test them.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • Okay, I don't have a full suss (maybe next on the list...), but I did try out a Myka when buying my current Spesh hardtail, to see if I liked the feel of the women's specific bike better.

My personal viewpoint on the hardtail myka was that the fit was a little bit squashed up (front to back) and the handlebar grips were very narrow. Clearly you can change the handlebar grips for something more substantial, but the whole feel was of something a little less robust than the bike I eventually bought (whihc is still very light and an absolute dream to ride!). If I remember correctly, I tried the top range Myka, so as far as possible, I was comparing a similar level of bike to my final choice in the men's.

So, where does that leave you (your wife)? This is just my opinion of the hardtail, so i don't know how much use it will be to her. Whatever she decides, it sounds as if she'll get plenty of advice from the whole family!

Oh, and get her to join us on here... :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • finlayson99
    Thanks for that, any opinion is helpful.
    She is organising some testing.
    Her main prob is neck and back pain so the fit of the bike is really important. IMO a FS is easier on the neck and back too as I found out when changing from HT to FS a couple of years ago.

As for getting her on here, I can't repeat (in polite company) what she thinks of computers :wink:
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • that's interesting - i have back issues too - lower back - and i was really worried about the transition from my hybrid on the road to MTB, but really, *really* wanted to take part in the fun that is the south downs and so on.

i've been going to an osteo, getting massage and seeing a proper trainer in the gym - and all that has really helped.

maybe you're right, a full susser will be easier. like i said before, i'm not totally out of the market for one myself, but want to get some proper use out of my HT first, before splashing more cash...

as for the computers thing... *sigh*.... :wink:

• finlayson99
    Yea the chiro has sorted her out but the neck tends to jar a bit at times
    We do a lot of riding at trail centres but also use the bikes for getting into the hills particularly areas like Cairngorms in Scotland (anyone remember the days before trail centres?) so anything to make life more comfy has got to be good
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • Ditch Witch
    I have very serious back problems, mostly due to being double jointed and my pelvis slipping out of alignment. Whether by luck or judgement, I've not had any problems with my bike setup.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • :shock:

blimey - i'm surprised you can stand....

*in great awe of your 'balls' of steel in even thinking about getting on an MTB.....*

• finlayson99
    :shock:
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • Ditch Witch
    :lol: I have to do something to make it slip out, but it could be something as simple as bending over to wash my hands.

I do a lot of core work as this helps keep it stable. One of the reasons I love biking is that I can do it all day and not put my back out. :D
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Mrs DW (married you off early!) - it's funny you should say that about being able to bike all day and not have back problems - my back seems to be at it's best whilst i'm on the bike - i will assume that i am being a good girl and using my core muscles properly...

• Ditch Witch
    Yeah, I don't know why it is. I can't walk all day without serious back pain, but biking seems to be fine. Dunno.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • it's a bugger, that back pain. i totally empathise.