Will second place in the Dauphine end up being first?

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited June 2009 in Pro race
If Valverde wins the Dauphine but is subsequently banned for 2 years in the next week or so - will it negate the result of the race?

If so - is the rest of the field just racing for second place at this point?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Surely he'd have to test positive at the race to loose the result.

Just like Rebellin will keep his last win.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    Pokerface wrote:
    If Valverde wins the Dauphine but is subsequently banned for 2 years in the next week or so - will it negate the result of the race?

If so - is the rest of the field just racing for second place at this point?

No.
    No.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Whether he wins or not and he keeps his final placing, for me his participation is spoiling what has been a very good weeks racing.

Valverde of course is highly motivated as this may well be his last major race for a while, but I wonder how do the other riders feel about him being there?

Brian
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    hommelbier wrote:
    Whether he wins or not and he keeps his final placing, for me his participation is spoiling what has been a very good weeks racing.

Valverde of course is highly motivated as this may well be his last major race for a while, but I wonder how do the other riders feel about him being there?

Brian

According to Kohl, probably not at all...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    His participation is a joke basically.
  • Why is Valverde's participation a joke? The real joke is CONI not turning over "evidence", not involving other agencies (UCI, WADA, et.al). Before he's condemned, let's see some actual evidence of his wrongdoing.

That said, he deserves the win in the Dauphine. And unless CONI has some REAL evidence Valverde deserves to race wherever he wants. Until CONI makes public their evidence, none of Valverde's accomplishments are in doubt.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    It's easy to blame CONI for Spanish indifference. The fact that it looks ridiculous, three years down the line, is because the Spanish judiciary chose to sit on the evidence.
    Whether this was to protect riders such as Valverde and Contador is debatable.

The more likely explanation is to cover for their top soccer teams and the odd tennis super star.

As for CONI making the evidence public. Again, why is the onus on them?
    Surely, the Spanish could have done their part during the past 3 years?
    Then CONI would only have to provide their Tour test samples.

However, come in bag number 18, your time is up.
    The jungle drums are reporting that the evidence has been turned over.

Oh and if anyone "deserves" to be Dauphine winner, it's Evans.
    A reformed character, if ever there was one.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Further to this and ignoring previous speculation about Contador and OP -

How would a UCI ban of Valverde rub off on Contador given the his visible assistance he gave to Valverde today?

Probably not much at all ...

JPM
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    Well given the assistance given by Contador and with no Valverde in the Tour I reckon Contador will be getting more help from Caisse than he will from a divided Astana !
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    Valverde is banned for 2 years as i understand it, by Italian cycling authourities (Olympic), because he is a cheat...
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    So ... on that basis i do not see this as a fair win...
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    isn't that the beauty of cycle racing .... it holds a mirror up to life... and who said that was fair either !
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    mgcycleguy wrote:
    Well given the assistance given by Contador and with no Valverde in the Tour I reckon Contador will be getting more help from Caisse than he will from a divided Astana !

...or, maybe after Lance's 'big announcement' Contandor will be looking for a new team and he's playing with his new team mates?! :wink:
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    In fairness to Valvarde, he's playing by the rules. Can't really do much more than that.

He was allowed to race, and (barring a positive test in the Dauphine, which is unlikely) he hasn't tested positive, so he's obviously going to ride to win. Why not?

He's banned in Italy, not France..

And how often have the French anti-doping lot been praised when compared to the Italian equivalents?
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Valverde is possibly my favourite rider ever since Courchevel '05, he was probably juiced then but I know he changed July '06 with OP and in that Vuelta he put up a good performance against a rider he knew was on drugs.

As for this year's Dauphiné, he knew it was a slim chance he'd be allowed in the Tour, which has been his motive for this year so he's going for everything he can get. It woudn't surprise me to see him win the Vuelta, so long as it doesn't go through Italy.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    teagar wrote:
    In fairness to Valvarde, he's playing by the rules. Can't really do much more than that.

He was allowed to race, and (barring a positive test in the Dauphine, which is unlikely) he hasn't tested positive, so he's obviously going to ride to win. Why not?

He's banned in Italy, not France..

And how often have the French anti-doping lot been praised when compared to the Italian equivalents?

+1 ; can't argue with the logic teagar has applied here. Not a fan of Valverde; but he has everyright to race and hence every right to try and win.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    pettachi has all his wins taken away for the period he had his ban suspended during appeal....with Valverde can they date when he attempted the removal of blood...likely they'd take away two iimportant years with a ban is say mid 2004. valv should accept the ban and be back in 2 years time ...at the moment he will be back for the TDF 2011
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Poor Valverde's calling it an "injustice" that he might not be able to ride the Tour. Poor lad, banking all that blood in a Spanish clinic, it must have been a reserve in case he needed supplies following a crash or other trauma, no?

Sadly the non-cycling media in Europe are giving the race only light coverage because the result lacks credibility, two line pieces like "Valverde wins Dauphine but the Spaniard has been banned for doping by the Italians and could see this suspension applied internationally", once again the doping headlines drown out the sport. Especially since guys like Mouncoutie and Fedrigo had great days.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I see the weekly saying Valverde's CAS appeal could take months to be heard, but if so, why did Vinokourov get his appeal at CAS heard in a case of weeks start to finish in June 06 as he fought to get the shell of the Liberty Seguros into the 06 TDF as Astana?
  • FOAD
    Why is Valverde's participation a joke? The real joke is CONI not turning over "evidence", not involving other agencies (UCI, WADA, et.al). Before he's condemned, let's see some actual evidence of his wrongdoing.

That said, he deserves the win in the Dauphine. And unless CONI has some REAL evidence Valverde deserves to race wherever he wants. Until CONI makes public their evidence, none of Valverde's accomplishments are in doubt.

Being as the UCI received the documents last Wednesday how long should it take to at least suspend him? And I think every result he has had since the CONI findings, ie. 2008 Tour are in doubt, not proven, but definitely in doubt.

And I was kinda under the impression that the teams were signed up to a charter whereby any rider under investigation would be pulled.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    I think due process needs to take place before you all start on your high horses.

He not guilty till found guitly properly and at this stage properly might not have happened. I notice some Pro Lance posters are baying for blood on this issue which is a bit rich.
  • FOAD
    markwalker wrote:
    I think due process needs to take place before you all start on your high horses.

He not guilty till found guitly properly and at this stage properly might not have happened. I notice some Pro Lance posters are baying for blood on this issue which is a bit rich.

I am anti-Lance most firmly :lol:

However, to say not guilty until found guilty, lol. CONI have banned him. We are not talking some local club, we are talking the Italian bloody Olympic Committee. I would think the burden of proof was well and truly satisfied there, and the only reason the Spanish appear to be bitching about it is because they seem to think they should get the chance to see the documents and ban him first.

If CONI are satisfied, I think the uci will be (unless he can come up with a similar donation as LA once did :lol: ).