Folding bikes.

syncro
syncro Posts: 120
edited September 2009 in Road general
I'm thinking about getting a folding bike but as i'm a keen cyclist already i dont want to make do with a cheap and nasty bike i want a decent quality one such Dahon, Mezzo, Brompton etc.
Anyone got any recomendations?
Cheers.

Comments

• helene
    helene Posts: 30
    Depends what you want it for, bromptons are great for commuting, cos they pack really small and neat. Plus you can pretty much always retro-fit any new things onto the old ones...

If you want something that rides more nicely try a birdy, really good range of long distance folding bikes and they are much nicer to ride than even the superlight bromptons.
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    Use a folder to go to train station every day.

Owned a Dahon first. Cr*ck of sh1t. Too many issues to list. swapped to a Brompton and never looked back. Three years later and 6000 miles no major issues.
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    If you want a folder which rides like a road bike then go for a Airnimal Chameleon. This folds but uses 24" wheels and components which can be found anywhere. Very light and nimble but can be used for light touring.
  • syncro
    syncro Posts: 120
    I like the Airnimal bikes but they're a bit more than i want to spend really. I Went into On Your Bike in Birmingham yesterday and spoke to one of the guys in there. They do Dahon, Brompton and Mezzo. He didn't really rate the Dahon's much. He advised a Brompton or a Mezzo which were both nice looking bikes. Especially the Mezzo, any thoughts on those?
  • Brompton if you're riding around town in all weather. I'd make sure you've got mudguards. Airnimal if you've got some country miles you can tag onto the end of your ride. I spend quite a bit of time hanging around, waiting to pick the kids up. If I've got the Airnimal in the boot I can always sneak in an extra unplanned 30 mins of riding. When I'm on the Airnimal I can do some training. When I'm on the Brompton, I'm not slow but I'm just commuting.

The Brompton can fold up small enough to fit between the seats of the commuter train. With the Airnimal I have to stand it by the door.

Tyre choice for the Airnimal is a bit limited there doesn't seem to be a winter tyre available.
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    How small does it have to fold? I wanted one to keep in the boot of my car and found that the Dahon Cadenza which is a 26" wheeled hybrid with a single fold in the frame met my needs. It's been reliable for over 2 years now and will get a run out at lunchtime today.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Nothing folds smaller than a Brompton..Sat it on my knee on the airport bus in New york cos the Luggage hold was full..When it comes to buses its usually at the discretion of the driver subject to room and sometimes bagging it..Brompton is the best if putting it on the bus is important to you
    jc
  • bazzargh
    bazzargh Posts: 45
    Re the Dahons: a couple of friend of mine had their touring folder (Speed TR I think), and had terrible trouble with the handlebars twisting round while riding it - so it looks like you're turning at 45 degres when you're going straight. Apparently they have since added a locking mechanism to that part of the fold, but it didn't inspire confidence.

I thought about the bike friday/airnimal route but went for a brompton because I have other bikes, and realistically, this one was just about the commute. Got an S2L nearly 3 years ago now, love it.

If you're getting a brompton, and you're over 5'10", you need the extended seatpost BTW. I'm 5'11" and it really hurt my knees pedalling this thing every day with the standard post.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    you have got to decide how much you want to compromise ride for folding convenience and smallness.

I have real bikes and also got a dahon jetstream xp some years ago . I have been pleased with it. It folds quickly to fairly samll, or I dissemble it to put it in a standard size suitcase for flying..I need an extra stem to increase the reach. Easy to fit but complicates the fold when on.
    I have done audaxes etc up to 100miles and lots of ctc day rides. max speed in a moment of madness over 50mph, and it did not feel bad. handling seems good.
    Suspension mostly unnecessary complication.

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... ahon36.jpg

TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Brompton.

Next question?
  • I'd also like to recommend a Brompton!

I had the "pleasure" of trying a Brompton and a Dahon for a week with a choice of which one I wanted. The Dahon was a reasonable ride- whereas the Brompton is more of an acquired taste.... but when it comes to folding, Bromptons win hands down.

I take my Brompton onto the bus (don't have much trouble, but do keep it in a cheap bag from a sailing shop called Force 4 Chandelry), and have found out recently that I can fold it in about 9 seconds with a copy of the Metro wedged between my knees!

Birdies also fold well- the Dahon is a nightmare to fold!

You have a lot of choice with the Brompton too. I am lucky enough to have the use of a 6 speed, with a front pannier and back pannier rack. You can fit *loads* into the pannier- I bought cake for the whole office on my birthday, and fit cake for 50 people in it!. The gearing is well ratio-ed , and the little 16inch wheels still move some.

You do find that the back wheel spokes tend to go if you ride it rough- I often meet cattle grids and pot hols on my travels and have broken a few spokes that way! Otherwise, they're very robust, easy to fold, easy to carry and come in brill colours.

I would say to make sure you get the nice retro Brookes saddle though-the old standard Brompton saddle is an a*se ache and a half! Mine's finally started to break up so I can justify a new one! Woo!
    ~I like to bike~
  • Best Brompton Bag is from IKEA - £3.95. I think it it is for storing clothes but has two carrying handles, is tough and exactly fits. Find it in the clothes accessories area.

I live in London where the threat of bike theft dissuaded me from using my road bike if I had to park it in a public area too long. But with the Brompton I can keep it about me at all times. Oh and if I have a puncture I can bring it home on the bus! Saves pump/puncture repair kit etc. So weight and compactness rules - ymmv.