Where to upgrade

RichR2
RichR2 Posts: 131
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Shocks? Drivechain? Wheels? Where do you get the biggest return for your investment ie the most noticable difference to the ride.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on what you have now.

but often tyres.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RichR2
    Assuming you have basic entry level bike
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Sorry fella, but "basic entry level bike" does not help much, you need to be more specific about what kit you have on your current ride. some entry level bikes have a decent fork, but rubbish drivetrain, others may have decent wheels but a crap fork. Do you see?

Then there are the bikes which are so "entry level" you would be best binning it and starting from scratch.

So, what sort of bike do you have then?

Edit: A rough idea of budget for upgrades may be useful too.
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Wheels. Lighter wheels will make SOOOO much difference to your ride.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, need to know what we are talking about to give sound advice.

Also depends on your budget, and wheter is a one off upgrade or whether there will be more in the future to spend.

To put it simply, if you have just bougth a bike and are now considering upgrading lots of parts, then you bought the wrong bike.
  • nicklouse
    Wheels. Lighter wheels will make SOOOO much difference to your ride.
    not always.

it all depends on the bike.

Lighter wheels may not be a good idea on a DH or jump bike but better wheels could be an idea.

like i said it depends on what you have and then things can be suggested.

there are cases when there is no point in even updating anything as either "better" parts will not fit or just cost too much.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    is that a basic entry level DH bike for £1000

or a basic entry level xc bike for £700

or a basic pretend mountain bike from Apollo for £89

more info required.
  • nicklouse
    the OP seems to have problems stating the info required so here is which bike it may be.taken from a fork buying question but it maybe a different bike.
    RichR2 wrote:
    Going on a Claude Butler Cape Wrath Frame for general XC riding, nothing extreme or mountainous. Travel 100mm
  • RichR2
    Previous poster has answered the bike mystery, but its not really relevant to my original question.

I dont think I was very clear in my original question .

As a beginner I'm just curious in a very general way (not bike model specific), where do you get the most noticable improvement to your ride if you upgrade.

I realise that if you have a poor quality part, be it shocks, drive train, wheels, tyres etc etc and you change it, then you'll see an improvement.....but which upgrades gives the most noticable improvement?
    eg changing an uncomfortable saddle would be a modest investment for a huge return.

Hope that makes the question clearer.
  • supersonic
    It is still difficult to answer as the parts can vary so much - one budget bike may have a great fork and wheels, the next poor fork and wheels yet superb frame and drivetrain.

Tyres are usually heavy as originally fitted so always a good place to spend money is here - go for folding versions to save weight.

Often forks can be heavy, so another potential area.

But apart from that have to look at the parts individually. Comfort of course is important so tailor contact points.

Upgrading needs to be a carefully planned process looking at your budget, potential gains, value and how often the money comes in as well as parts wearing out. Also consider a new bike if you plan to upgrade a lot.
  • RichR2
    It is still difficult to answer as the parts can vary so much - one budget bike may have a great fork and wheels, the next poor fork and wheels yet superb frame and drivetrain.

I know, if you have a poor quality part, you change it, then you'll see an improvement

But for best return for your buck, I take it that tyres are a good call........any advance on tyres?
  • nicklouse
    Just to add to Sonics comments the area of best upgrade changes with different manufactures and also for different types of bikes even from the same makers.

there is no 100% answer as it all depends on what you have to start with.

but with reference to most of the upgrde questions on these forums it is a case of the wrong bike has been bought.

:evil:
  • supersonic
    Yep. We can't just say change the cranks as it might be the best part of the bike! Likewise for the derailers, brakes, wheels.

Quality, weight, performance, longevity, cost - so many factors.

If you want to save weight you need to weigh the bits you have. Bars and seatposts can hide a lot of lard.
  • nicklouse
    RichR2 wrote:

I know, if you have a poor quality part, you change it, then you'll see an improvement

But for best return for your buck, I take it that tyres are a good call........any advance on tyres?

Errr what tyres do you have now? and is it on the CB so for general single track use?
  • RichR2
    Michelin country rock on the CB, used on mostly forest gravel tracks and the road.
    there is no 100% answer as it all depends on what you have to start with.

I agree completely............

But, say you are starting with all equally poor quality parts, changing which one will produce the biggest difference to your ride, for your buck?
  • supersonic
    I'd get a new bike in that situation. For example you could spend 150 on new forks, 150 on new wheels, but selling it and getting a 500 quid bike would be money far, far better spent.

Buying 70 quid forks and 70 quid wheels would hardly be an upgrade and a waste of money. (assuming the bike cost about 200 to start).

If you look at the begginers FAQ sticky at the top of this section there is a link within on what I expect a 250 quid bike to have. It will give you some idea on a minimum standard that you can compare to what you have.