Dauphine Stage 7 *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Doffs cap to Mr Evans.

Nice attacking sir!
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Evans attacked a lot on the last climb and Contador's saying he is just here to train....but IMO he doesn't look super...slightly gapped again nr finish line...wonder if it is a game?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Evans attacked a lot on the last climb and Contador's saying he is just here to train....but IMO he doesn't look super...slightly gapped again nr finish line...wonder if it is a game?

gapped!

hell awaits you.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    He's just not killing himself and his team before the Tour. He'd have to put in a massive effort to get back the time he needs, and losing a couple of seconds at the end of each stage isn't the worst thing in the world.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    edited June 2009
    one mountain too far for Millar
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Good Evans! - he attacked and attacked Albert and Valverde over the last 4km - and 'stuffed' Contador by 14 secs. Well done Sir.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Lets not forgot the winner. Excellent ride by Moncoutie.

If cycling had not been as filthy, how much better would his palmares be?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That last climb was fantastic, truly very exciting. If you didn't follow it, definitely watch the replay, but for now, here are the points to note:

Moncoutié SUPER SMOOTH from top to bottom. Didn't look too hurt at the finish, although he had difficulty lifting his hands for long for his victory salute. He was 120km in the break I think. Great ride by a great rider. Last time he won in the Dauphiné was 10 years ago!

Cadel attacked with 10km.

At 6km, Gesink attacked, Cadel reacted about 20m later and flies past him. Valv and Contador momentarily droppped but then Contador comes back on him so fast I thought he would crash into Cadel's wheel!

Gesink comes past them soon and stays out in front of them for the rest of the ascent, coming 2nd.

Contador tries a harsh attack and gets 10m in a couple of seconds. Cadel responds, gets to him then attacks straight away. Contador and Valv jump onto his wheel.

Cadel attacks again.

Cadel attacks again!

Cadel attacks again!!

Cadel attacks again!!!

Cadel attacks again!!!!

Cadel attacks again!!!!!

Yes, Cadel attacked six times after that!!! Each time he hardly got any gap on Contador or Valverde.

In the last 500m, Valverde and Evans sprint on opposite sides of the road, with Evans coming in before Valverde but with no time difference.

Contador didn't respond and cruised in.

Valverde looked shattered at the end.

Millar came in on Martin's wheel.

Fantastic stage.

Now watching Tour de Suisse, Hincapie currently leading. Hoping Cancellara can win for once!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Bravo Cadel, reckon Bertie is holding his cards close to his chest before the TdF.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    i wish i would just stick to my first pick in my head on this PTP, i would've won.. pah!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That was good attacking riding and has changed my opinion of Evans to some tune!
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    indeed, some of evans doubters are going to have to remove the word "never" from their sniping.

It was a really entertaining stage, especially considering it basically ended with no change to GC.

It was nice to see Evans the last man with help for a change, and he paid it back nicely.

Looks promising for the tour.

I still have mixed feelings about valverde's participation, but I have to admit he does the best yellow jersey outfits around.
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    It was definitely a good stage and great to see Cadel go on the attack. He might benefit from some more originality though: as Duffers observed he kept trying to go off the front rather than dropping back, riding around etc making it harder for Contador and Valverde to get his wheel. Perhaps he should review the drubbing Saxo Bank gave him on the Alpe last TdF for ideas...

I'm also suspect he and Valverde are going for it as they might only win the Dauphine while Contador can hold back and not go deep as he expects to walk all over the tour
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    I didn't see the stage, but according to Cyclingnews "Alejandro Valverde (Caisse d'Epargne) found an ally in compatriot Alberto Contador (Astana)". Could this be a sign that Contador is leaving Astana for Caisse d'Epargne?
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Chapeau! Mr "thebongolian", for spotting the nice attacks from Mr Evans which were obvious to all contenders behind. Even Mr Moncoutie may have spotted Evan's attacks from a mile up the road. No one attacks like that and wins; surely. :roll:
    Mr Sastre; when on the last climb of the day of a big race, goes to the expense of tailing off the front group and looking as though he has popped, to then rejoin the group and attack from behind. That's how you should attack. Some riders would drop 3 or 4 bike lengths back to look as though they've cracked, to then give themselves a good run up to shoot off the front at full speed.

Also, this is Mr Valverde's Tour de France so no holds barred for him; The Dauphine is a must win race.
    Mr Contador is getting the miles in before his peak in July and I hope this isn't Cadel's peak as he will find a tougher battle in a month's time. More hissy fits in July for hm maybe-
    "Stand on my dog and I'll cut your head off!!" :lol:
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    edited June 2009
    Watch the final kilometres of the climb of the Col De Madeleine here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJa49HjNOJM

Note the attacks from Evans at 2.21 - 3.01 - 3.30 and the final smashing of Bertie at 6.31.

Valverde looks totally spent at 7.09
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    I too wondered why evans only tried one tactic. (see also di luca vs menchov in the giro). But I concluded he isn't stupid. i'm guessing he had some reason to persist with that tactic.

my wife suggested that as this is a rehearsal for the tdf, maybe he was only willing to use tactics that will work then. and dropping 3 or 4 lengths behind contador in july might be taken as an invitation to steam off up the hill.

a change of tactics may well have dropped valverde yesterday. but it may be that riding off the front is the only way to safely guard against contador's more explosive style in july, and evans is getting in the groove now.

Weirdly, though, I thought di luca was an idiot for being so one dimensional in the giro battle with menchov, so I am a bit inconsistent in this.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    edited June 2009
    Evans' weakness yesterday was the same as his weakness in the finale of hilly classics - he's got no kick. At no time yesterday did he really look like breaking Valverde - in fact Valverde responded to most of the attacks sat in the saddle pushing a pretty big gear. Rather than vary the pace so much I really think Evans would be better just getting his head down and powering on for a couple of Ks and see if he could crack the others that way.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    That last climb was fantastic, truly very exciting. If you didn't follow it, definitely watch the replay, but for now, here are the points to note:

Moncoutié SUPER SMOOTH from top to bottom. Didn't look too hurt at the finish, although he had difficulty lifting his hands for long for his victory salute. He was 120km in the break I think. Great ride by a great rider. Last time he won in the Dauphiné was 10 years ago!

!

I read somewhere once that Moncoutie isn't very good at riding no-handed, and struggles when it comes to putting on rain-capes etc.
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    Evans gave it his best shot but the others came back at him, I think Contador is riding well within himself and will fight much harder in the Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • dave_1
    Evans gave it his best shot but the others came back at him, I think Contador is riding well within himself and will fight much harder in the Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree Keith, having thought about it....ACs strategy of letting go yesterday, sitting on during Ventoux, never showing his hand,,, is a confidence trick played on Evans that's got Johan Bruyneel's fingerprints all over it...Evans will go into the TDF thinking this dress rehersal is accurate as a form prediction and he'll be dropped by AC
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I think if we can work it out, so can Evans.

Strava is not Zen.
  • dave_1
    calvjones wrote:
    true...but Ullrich and Pevenage were fooled by Lance A back in 01...it's possible...but I think Contador letting go at the end yesterday was too obvious....he backed off on purpose

Tony Rominger rode the 1994 Tour de Suisse with hear rate monitor and would not allow his heart over 150-155 bpm i remember...he simple let himself drop off the back when he got there...even though he had huge reserves of power to call on when he wanted
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Dave_1 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    true...but Ullrich and Pevenage were fooled by Lance A back in 01...it's possible...but I think Contador letting go at the end yesterday was too obvious....he backed off on purpose

Tony Rominger rode the 1994 Tour de Suisse with hear rate monitor and would not allow his heart over 150-155 bpm i remember...he simple let himself drop off the back when he got there...even though he had huge reserves of power to call on when he wanted

Again, it was obvious that AC dropped off intentionally at the end. As just as obvious is the fact that Cadel knows the Dauphine and TdF are two completely different races - he is a pro afterall. Just as Evans is aiming to peak come July, he realizes that AC will likewise not be at 100%.

I don't think this can be compared to the JB inspired 'Look'.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Just looked again at the you tube footage of the madelaine stage and Evan's attacking off the front is just a no go'er. I think it's either an arrogance that he can burn anyone who is wheel sucking or it's just daft. He should faint a bit of tiredness, drop a few lengths back which would make the other two either attack or be vulnerable to attack. Evans can build up speed from a few lengths back and fly past the other two. I think Sastre hasn't got the best kick on him but he is a lot wiser when getting the right moment to attack.
    -Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Chapeau! Mr "thebongolian", for spotting the nice attacks from Mr Evans which were obvious to all contenders behind. Even Mr Moncoutie may have spotted Evan's attacks from a mile up the road. No one attacks like that and wins; surely. :roll:

Astonishingly, I think Duffers said it first...

And I suppose Cadel's still learning this attacking thing :wink:
  • giner1961
    giner1961 Posts: 135
    "It's unjust, but I'm convinced that sooner or later things will be resolved in my favour.

Who said this, bye bye Valverde, no tour for him regardless. what gets me is the ordasity.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Again, it was obvious that AC dropped off intentionally at the end. As just as obvious is the fact that Cadel knows the Dauphine and TdF are two completely different races - he is a pro afterall. Just as Evans is aiming to peak come July, he realizes that AC will likewise not be at 100%.

I don't think this can be compared to the JB inspired 'Look'.

"Reserves of power"???????????????

I wasn't even around then and I know what was going on....

And I have to note there's a correalation forming here.

Evans: '07- Dauphine - 2nd, Tour - 2nd, '08 - Dauphine - 2nd Tour - 2nd, '09 Dauphine - 2nd Tour.........................??????
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157

And I have to note there's a correalation forming here.

Evans: '07- Dauphine - 2nd, Tour - 2nd, '08 - Dauphine - 2nd Tour - 2nd, '09 Dauphine - 2nd Tour.........................??????

re: Correlation

I think Cadel will have done extremely well if he can continue the pattern of finishing second.

I don't think he was the second best rider at the TdF last year; and even in 2007 one could argue that both Levi and Sastre finished the race with better form.

Then again, maybe he reallises that wheelsucking won't do this year; and hence he has started to dabble in the art of agressive riding.
  • dave_1
    Evans looked really good at points...a tougher course over days will perhaps see him in yellow at TDF
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I was impressed by Evans - it's about the only time I've seen him attack...
    As has been mentioned, his natural style seems to be to ride at his own pace, rather than to yo-yo about, so it was good to see him try something different, even though he never looked like getting away. It's cheered up my hopes for the Tour - as a major contender you look for a bit of excitement. Chapeau!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs