Duffield and Carlton Kirby - lets get them off Eurosport !

Lucyliu
Lucyliu Posts: 16
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Is anyone else out there having the Dauphine Libere ruined by these 2 twerps ? The Giro d'Italia was absolutely fantastic and I was glued to the tv for 3 weeks...with Duffield still commentating I am having to mute the sound !

http://uk.messages.eurosport.yahoo.com/ ... rt=1&off=1

Read this by another viewer it sums up their incompetence fantastically.

I have already written on the Eurosport message board about Wednesdays stage commentary and lots of other viewers complained also. David Duffield and Carlton Kirby made so many mistakes it really must be a sackable offence ! Carlton Kirby was replaced yesterday by Anthony Mccrossan thank goodness !! Its good to know that Eurosport took note and got rid of him.

Lets get Duffield off Eurosport. Yesterdays commentary (Thursday) was slightly better because Mccrossan was there to give us race commentary but the FOOL was still blithering on about anything other than the race. How annoying is it to be listening to Duffield describing the "twists and turns" and "Valverde is waiting, waiting, waiting...for tomorrow" type comments when on screen you can see theres important riding goin on !!
PLEASE COMPLAIN TO EUROSPORT AND HE WILL HAVE TO GO!
lucy Woodward

Comments

• dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I agree. It reminds me of the olympic road race commentary last year (I think that was porter). As viewers we are looking for insights in to the race, but in cycling, all toooften the viewer understands more about what's going on than the commentator.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I don't mind Kirby - as a combination they don't work but with a pundit I think he'd be OK - even Duffers is acceptable with someone that knows what they are talking about.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Lucyliu
    Lucyliu Posts: 16
    Anyone that can support the ludicrous commentary that was on Wednesdays Stage shouldn't be watching a cycling race because they are obviously from Outer Mongolia and dont speak English.
    lucy Woodward
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    Anthony Mac is very good, I listened to him a lot on that online tv channel last year.
    He is very precise in his judgement and observations, it gets in your head and you understand as you watch/listen, your not left wondring if the rcipe was for the front wheel with wine or the deraileur with olive oil on the chain. "Up the Duffers" is a a campaign I wont be joinijng as he, although not on telly, is harmlessy nice in the most F*****G annoying fashion.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    I just think that if the commentary is good it adds a lot (a la Giro) but if it's bd, it doesn't take too much away. It doesn't spoil my viewing because it's still the same race.

Harmon and Kelly aren't gonna do the Dauphine so if we want it on our screens then we just have to put up with it, otherwise Eurosport will say "Well, they don't like the commentators and we haven't got a replacement, we'll just not bother showing it"
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Duffers just doesn't shut the feck up. Drives me insane. He just needs to leave some space in there and he'd be 100% better.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Kirby's been ditched for cycling.tv's Tony Mc. He's at his favourite motor GP, now.

I'd be more concerned about the quantity of Dauphine British Eurosport is dishing up.
    Yesterday, they gave us a wopping 20 minutes coverage, where as the same duo, did one and three quarter hours on Eurosport International.
    Today, it's recorded highlights, while International are live at 2-30pm.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I don't think that Carlton is that bad considering he's the Eurosport gopher. But old Uncle Buck is just down right awful!

A
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    never was a fan of duffers but he did have a degree of comic charm in 1994!

he is bearable as the pre race pundit for british eurosports tour coverage (who watches that c..p anyway)..

but you have got to get him off the commentary.. for his own sake. this is going to end in tears

kirbys promotion sideways is a good thing
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Somebody please put the old duffer out of his misery!
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    Somebody please put the old duffer out of his misery!

Get a life you sad prat.
    Quite Frankly you are the one who needs exterminating.
    Tosser
  • That did go a bit far yes :lol:

But yeah, surprised he's still commentating. Get Anthony Cross and Brian Smith over to Eurosport.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Carlton's fine, Duffers should be slaughtered and made into burgers.
  • avalon
    AndyRubio wrote:
    He's a fockking site more entertaining than you
    Bet you never noticed :roll: .
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    avalon wrote:
    AndyRubio wrote:
    David? David Duffield, is that you? :lol:

Duffers can be a laugh though. It just depends on you're sense of humor weather you like him or not.
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    I like Brian Smith, didnt he do the tour of california thought that was very good... As for Duffers, maybe they should think to do something like the old test match special cricket style commentary, have a couple of guys doing 80% of the nuts and bolts and have duffers interjecting with little stories, first time viewer Q&A, stories about cakes, cheese and fine wine ?
  • avalon
    Murr X wrote:
    avalon wrote:
    AndyRubio wrote:
    David? David Duffield, is that you? :lol:

Duffers can be a laugh though. It just depends on you're sense of humor weather you like him or not.

Weather?
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    isn't that all the rubbish he goes on about anyways...
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Avalon has a bit of a temper...

Probably drives a white van in his spare time :lol:

Just joking.... :wink:

Having said that, I do find the Duffield style giganticly irritating. He seems increasingly ill informed, and his constant drone-without-a-single-breath-suddenly-changing-sentance-and-tense-like-this-church-on-the-left-which-bytheway-is-where-i-had-a-great-sausage-a-bit-like-cycling's-chess-on-wheels-oh-no-is-that-rain? style.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    his constant drone-without-a-single-breath-suddenly-changing-sentance-and-tense-like-this-church-on-the-left-which-bytheway-is-where-i-had-a-great-sausage-a-bit-like-cycling's-chess-on-wheels-oh-no-is-that-rain? style.

Wonderful! Sounds a lot more interesting than the racing.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Birillo wrote:
    his constant drone-without-a-single-breath-suddenly-changing-sentance-and-tense-like-this-church-on-the-left-which-bytheway-is-where-i-had-a-great-sausage-a-bit-like-cycling's-chess-on-wheels-oh-no-is-that-rain? style.

Should try some of the flemish commentary then!!

There's always something happening, even when the bunch is pootling along and they sure as sh!t notice it!

Can't beat a bit of Michel Wuyts and Tom Steels!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    teagar wrote:
    Birillo wrote:

Should try some of the flemish commentary then!!

There's always something happening, even when the bunch is pootling along and they sure as sh!t notice it!

Can't beat a bit of Michel Wuyts and Tom Steels!

I would fuckin love Tom Steels commenatating!

Their pronunciation of "Spartacus" on Saturday was amazing!
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    Duffers - Out, Out, Out and take your silly jackets with you :D
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Got to say was a fan of Duffield,but now he`s past it i think. you got to love his enthusiasm for the sport - will miss his classic one - liners tho.

1. Hold on to your hats
    2. it`s a bit black over the back of bills mothers
    3 Sack cloths and ashes.
    4 . A Box of tricks.
    5. In English Money.
    6. My Union Jack Underpants
    7. Lock them up and throw away the key. :lol:
  • huret
    huret Posts: 62
    Lucyliu wrote:

Apart from the request for Hugh Porter to be recruited :!: He's just as useless at Road commentary.
    Savoie between the Glandon and the Madeleine.