BC and Brian Cookson

markwalker
markwalker Posts: 953
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Do these people cooks socks really???

Why do we pay for a second rate national fed that doesnt support the pro road racing in the uk and abroad. Seriously other than trak medals where do the levies from race organisers and teams go? Why do we fund this second rate organistion.

What do they do to promote racing in the uk? what do they do to create the environment that enables road racing in the UK. Seems to me its down to individuals to pay them levies to putr on events for little in return.

Thank you rant over

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Wow. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the pram this morning.

There are so many errors in what you are trying to say that I don't even know where to begin. Starting with you probably posted it in the wrong forum.

What specifically is your problem with BC? As a former employee, I can probably answer some of your questions and assure you that BC is nothing but a FIRST RATE organization. Their job is to promote cycling at all levels in the UK and nothing more.

Medals are a bonus but not part of the remit.
  • I'd much rather blame the general public and the Police for not wanting bunch racing on road circuits, however it also seems like BC seem content to let races be cancelled and circuits closed down without much of a fight.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    BC gets its funding from the lottery based on medal hauls at world championships and the Olympics. Since there are only two road race titles, mens and womens, chasing a result here is near-impossible, especially since the winner will come from an established pro team and not from under the wing of a federation.

But by concentrating on wacky races on wood with bizarre events like the keirin and trivial pursuit BC can win medals where the gold can be cashed in for cheques. This isn't BC's fault, it's just told to jump through these hoops and it does it very well. All things considered, BC is moved a long way from the stone age days when it was based in Kettering.

Similarly it's the broader environment in Britain that means road races are suffering because of safety concerns and a lack of police support. If you have five minutes to spare, contact your MP and in two or three paragraphs explain how cycle racing in Britain is under pressure because of increased traffic and the unwillingness of the police to help without submitting a giant bill, how some minor Road Traffic amendments need parliamentary support and that you feel strongly about it. Do it.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    BC are lobbying the powers that be to change the Road Traffic laws to enable suitably qualified marshals to have the power to stop and direct traffic. This is already on trial in Essex and Wales I think, but it needs the support of the local Police Authorities, most of whom are probably not in favour of racing on the public highways at all. Unfortunately, this sort of thing (changing laws that most people couldn't give a fig about) is a very slow process. Until there is a consistent and reasonable national approach from the Police to this, problems will continue.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... update.asp

It would of course be really helpful if there was one governing body for cycle sport in the UK instead of the 4 we have at present, all pulling in different directions.

What makes you say that BC are not supporting pro road racing in the UK and abroad? The likes of Ben Swift would seem to contradict this.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I agree and disagree with Bronzie. BC are doing stuff as he says - the marshall scheme he mentions is one thing that could open up new circuits or guarantee the survival of existing ones. For the real grass roots racing where closed roads are never going to be affordable this is a potential race saver. The problem they have is that they can't just wave a magic wand and wish what they desire to be so.

On the other hand I don't agree we should have a single body for cycling. Having alternatives is a safeguard that keeps BC responsive to the average competitive cyclist. Would there be an LVRC in the first place if BC had been catering adequately for veterans? Ultimately if you can organise a road race to a certain set of standards you should be able to do so under any body you choose to organise under - having said that I choose to organise under BC and have found them supportive.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.