Best bike for little money

antix_v2
antix_v2 Posts: 9
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone - I'm new, be gentle... :lol:

Decided I'd like to buy a bike for short trips to work, afternoon cycles etc. Nothing over the top, worst case would be bridal path type terrain.

I know very little about bicycles. I get the basics of how they work and about the materials they're made of - I'm a lot more familiar with bikes with engines :wink:

So; the big question is - what bike to buy? At the moment I'm have seen and quite like the Giant Rock. Seems to tick the right boxes for me and is a reasonable price.

For a number of reasons I won't bore you with, I want to buy a new bike, and on the basis I like the bike above, let's say I have a £200 limit. Even this is more than I first thought about - when I went to the local chain stores and Halfords etc... Apparently £80-120 bikes are even worse...

So for £200 - what's the best bet? (and not buy used :wink: )

One's I have found are below - TBH, if nobody advised, I'd just buy the Giant -

Giant Rock
Pinnacle Source
Raleigh Glide
Apollo XC.26
Raleigh AT10
Diamondback M05
Dawes XC.01

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a read of the Beginners thread stickied in this section: has a FAQ and a link of what to look for on a budget bike.

The Raleight Glide, which Halfords are conning people with by saying is half price and was 320 is hardly worth the 160 really.
  • antix_v2
    Cheers bud - out of interest - given that list - which would you choose (if forced to of course :lol: )

Just wondering of my initial reaction to by the Giant is an OK choice...
  • supersonic
    Well I'd go and see what fitted nicest from a list of 3 that hit the right spot. I'd discount the Raleigh and Apollo: the rest are swings and roundabouts really.

If you want to look at the next step up, there is this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider ... -34963795/

Also the Carrera Vulcan at Halfords, and I prefer the Giant Boulder for a bit more.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    edited June 2009
    Things to look out for to ensure you will have durability/upgradability IMO are a threadless stem and a freehub rear wheel hub (easy way to identify is if it has 6/7gears on the back it will be a freewheel not freehub)

I personally bought the Pinnacle Source and found the following; the forks are useless and the freewheel axel snapped, both of these would probably not have been an issue if I was 8stone. I replaced both (and some other bits) and could not be happier with the frame.

Making sure that you have a threadless stem will ensure you can upgrade the front fork as the one you get on a £200 bike will be crap, and the freehub on the back will ensure the bike wont break on you :wink:

The rest I guess is personal preference.
  • antix_v2
    hmmm, not seen of the B'Twin - and it falls into my budget - yay.

Will go and have a try on a few...

Cheers again!
  • supersonic
    That B'twin/rockrider, in my opinion, is the best specced and lightest 200 quid bike out there, with a frame that shames so bigger brands and their 1000 quid bikes. Superb value.
  • antix_v2
    Cool - are they available widely or just from their own stores?
  • supersonic
    Just Decathlon - are a fair few about though.
  • antix_v2
    oh **** - we're about 70 miles from the nearest one :(
  • supersonic
    Might be worth half a day out. Such a good bike.
  • antix_v2
    Ok, I'll convince the other half with a Starbucks and a cake :lol:

Cheers again for the help.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Forget the travel, the coffee and the cake and you'll have another £40 to spend on a bike.
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Forget the travel, the coffee and the cake and you'll have another £40 to spend on a bike.

My thoughts exactly!
    Even better, selll the car and the other half... Could afford one hell of a bike then :D
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • antix_v2
    Believe me, if I sold those to buy a bike, that kind of budget would be buying a bike with an engine!
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    antix_v2 wrote:
    Hi everyone - I'm new, be gentle... :lol:

Decided I'd like to buy a bike for short trips to work, afternoon cycles etc. Nothing over the top, worst case would be bridal path type terrain.

I know very little about bicycles. I get the basics of how they work and about the materials they're made of - I'm a lot more familiar with bikes with engines :wink:

So; the big question is - what bike to buy? At the moment I'm have seen and quite like the Giant Rock. Seems to tick the right boxes for me and is a reasonable price.

For a number of reasons I won't bore you with, I want to buy a new bike, and on the basis I like the bike above, let's say I have a £200 limit. Even this is more than I first thought about - when I went to the local chain stores and Halfords etc... Apparently £80-120 bikes are even worse...

So for £200 - what's the best bet? (and not buy used :wink: )

One's I have found are below - TBH, if nobody advised, I'd just buy the Giant -

Giant Rock
    Pinnacle Source
    Raleigh Glide
    Apollo XC.26
    Raleigh AT10
    Diamondback M05
    Dawes XC.01

I had a look at the Giant Rock, ended up with the Sedona instead, and the Sedona DX for the wife. Doesn't sound like you want a mountain bike per se at all. Your bike will be much more useful (whatever its) fitted with a luggage rack and basket and other handy commuting accessories than super-knobbly mountain bike tyres.

You could get some kind of Dutch bike, very low maintenance.
  • I have just got a Saracen Element 2 which for £220 I am really happy with. Currently using it for 50/50 on road and off road. Got mine from Evans Cycles and they have about £80 off them at the moment.
    Weight on June 18th 129kg
    Target By June 15th 2013 - 100kg
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Weight July 1st - 127.3kg
  • antix_v2
    OK - firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their assistance. I will no doubt be back for more questions and to enquire about which shiny bits to buy - whether I'm a serious 'cyclist' or not won't matter - I just tend to buy shiney bits :wink:

But, I have now purchased a bike - yay. Went for a Giant Boulder - liked the Rock but decided the Boulder had a few extra bits for little extra money, and, well, it comes in a cooler colour scheme :oops: Had a ride around though and I think it'll suit me well.

I collect at the weekend. I have since found some trails through local woods and forests so I'm quite glad I went with the MTB rather than a hybrid.

Would it be a fair assumption that the first rides are going to be long, painful and damn hard work?

Cheers

Ant.
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    yip the first ride is always the worst. i got my trek 3900 the other week and i felt i had been r*ped by the saddle. but it wore off in time.

Probably doesnt help being overweight, but i guess thats the reason i got the bike. no pain no gain they say. all the best with your new bike.