Tomorrow = excitement!

SpinningJenny
SpinningJenny Posts: 889
edited June 2009 in Women
I spent my spare time last night planning my route tomorrow on my trusty OS 122 map - yay!

Off to Shoreham, pick up the Downs Link to Botolphs, then pick up the South Downs Way, then on a nice big circular route back to Brighton - or somewhere....

I'll probably get lost, or it'll rain, or something.... but....

:D I don't care!!!!!! :D

No idea how long it will take, but I plan to be out for a good 4 hours minimum.

Sexy Sadie is itching to get going... she was straining against the bike lock this morning :wink:

Food
Water
Mobile
Money
Pump and other odds and sods

Happy days.... :D
Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08

Comments

• Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Set alarm clock. Check. ;)
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • cheeky..... :D

jumbo-alarm-clock-detail.jpg

d'ya think this is big enough....? :shock:

• XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    it would be more fun to leave the maps and not have a route thats how i do it
  • Ditch Witch
    cheeky..... :D

jumbo-alarm-clock-detail.jpg

d'ya think this is big enough....? :shock:

10 past 10! :shock: That's half the day gone :roll:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • SleepyLea
    SleepyLea Posts: 127
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    it would be more fun to leave the maps and not have a route thats how i do it

Tried it once, got totally lost, then realised I was much closer to home then I reaslised. I thought I had gone for miles!!!!!
  • genspain
    genspain Posts: 43
    I spent my spare time last night planning my route tomorrow on my trusty OS 122 map - yay!

Off to Shoreham, pick up the Downs Link to Botolphs, then pick up the South Downs Way, then on a nice big circular route back to Brighton :D

I've cycled to Shoreham by Sea a couple times using the Downs link . I started in Epsom. The first time i did it it rained the whole way and it took me 7hrs. :( I did it again a couple of weeks ago, was so happy that the sun was out. it took me 5hr 30min it was fab!! :D

I hope you have good weather for it. Tell us how you get on. What ever happens have a great time :wink:
    Cheeky, Cheeky
  • Ditch Witch
    You cycled to Shoreham from Epsom?

blue.gif
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • genspain
    You cycled to Shoreham from Epsom?

blue.gif

yes twice all off road but I did get the train back!! :lol:
    My friends think I'm a bit of a nutter :wink:
    Cheeky, Cheeky
  • Jetlag
    Jetlag Posts: 29
    All off road? That's awesome! I really fancy that. It never occurred to me that you could do that, but it's obvious when you think about it.

How did you find your route?
  • Ditch Witch
    Doh, posted as old account. I didn't realize you could change your name :roll:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • genspain
    Cycled to Newlands corner and from there followed the Downs link it's sign posted most of the way.

found this route:
    http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/leisureand ... eGuide.pdf

it's not a hard ride just long. First time i did it, I used my old bike (and i mean old it had 15 gears but only 2 worked, no breaks and it weighed a tonne) I now have my super Trek full suspension and i love it! :lol:

you should try it it's fun :wink:
    Cheeky, Cheeky
  • Ditch Witch
    It does sound fun, actually :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Ditch Witch
    Looks like there's some big climbs in there, though.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • genspain
    Not really, you don't notice them as they are gradual. it's mainly disused rail way track which is pretty flat.

There are a couple of hills but nothing strenuous. If I could do it on my old bike then anyone can do it trust me :wink:
    Cheeky, Cheeky
  • Woooooooohoooooooooo!

I had a wonderful, wonderful day :D

Up at 6am, on the way by 6.30 (yea, DW, that alarm clock was rubbish :wink: ). It was a bit cloudy, but warm.

Down from The Level, all along the front from the Pier, up through Shoreham, only just missed the turning onto the Downs Link and realised before I'd gone too far up the busy, busy, busy A road. Cut across a field with horses in (lovely soft noses :D ), popped Sadie over a stile and was back on track.

Took the Downs Link as far as Botolphs, made friends with several dogs on the way (including a massive Rhodesian Ridgeback who was soft as a brush!) and joined the South Downs Way. My first full on experience of gradient plus loose flint track combined - so much fun! Met quite a few other MTBers on the way - aren't we a friendly bunch :D . In the end, due to realising I was getting rather seriously knackered, I turned back rather than doing a loop - especially as it was getting really hot and sunny out there! Had an awesome descent, tested Sadie's brakes big time (I LOVE disc brakes!) and was very pleased with my looking ahead, checking out the best route etc. Probably nothing to an experienced rider, but I felt so happy at the bottom, looking back up at the track I'd just managed!

Had to take the main road back rather than cutting back through the wharves at Shoreham as the lock was going to be locked for ages, but the traffic, although busy, gave me loads of room, which was good!

Time out: 6 hours door to door.
    Best bit: all of it
    Bit I'm most proud of: the downhill!
    What would i do differently: take more food! and sunblock - I have panda eyes this morning and stripey arms, as I pushed my sleeves up throughout the day!!
    Next time out?: More of the Downs Link. I got the same booklet as genspain a while ago and had no idea it was only 37 miles from Shoreham to Guildford - so doable in a day! We used to shop there when we lived in Weybridge. And I've even persuaded my OH that it would be a good thing for both of us to do..... YAY!

Ooh, I've just had a thought.... how close is everyone to it.... it would be a great place to meet up somewhere along the route :D

Final verdict: The best thing I've done in a long time :D Sadie has been well and truly tested, as have I!!

• Ditch Witch
    YAY!! Well done on the looking ahead ;)

Thanks to Genspain, we're seriously looking at that trip now, too. We should all meet on one end and cycle it together!

Either we could train down and cycle back or you could. Don't know if one direction is easier than another? I've never cycled 37 miles in my life :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • I've come to realise that in road cycling, it's all about the distance and time, in MTBing it's all about the terrain.

I'm not sure how far I went yesterday all in - maybe 20-25 miles, but I could be wrong! And quite honestly, I don't really care! In two weeks, I'll be doing 60 miles, but it's all road, so it'll probably take me less time than I was out yesterday - especially as I'll be on slicker, 700c tyres! I truly noticed the difference when on the road yesterday, it felt like really hard work, rather than the skimming along feeling I get on less knobbly, larger wheels.

Anyway, 37 miles should be no problem. The track is nice, nothing technical. Simples!

Yes, let's look into the Link a bit more - sounds like it'd be a great day :D

• genspain
    Woooooooohoooooooooo!
    I had a wonderful, wonderful day :D

I love to hear when someone has a good ride makes me happy :) Good for you, gad you enjoyed it :wink:

If you like this you might like Thames Path Reading to Hampton Court all along the river, there is a little on road but it's well worth it :lol:
    Ooh, I've just had a thought.... how close is everyone to it.... it would be a great place to meet up somewhere along the route :D

This is a good idea.

I haven't been on my bike for 2 weeks :cry: due to studying for exams. I really miss it but like hearing others enjoying it! can't wait till it's over so I can get on my bike and go for a long hard ride, I'll probably collapse after 2 minutes :lol:
    Cheeky, Cheeky
  • Ditch Witch
    Yes, I really like this idea :D

Can we bring boys (if they promise to behave?) Mine is very well trained :D
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • genspain
    Yes, I really like this idea :D

Can we bring boys (if they promise to behave?) Mine is very well trained :D

I did this with my BF and he knows the route really well :) I just follow him this way I get to enjoy the ride more :wink:

There is a really nice farm shop half way where you can buy snacks if you need to!
    I would definitely do this again if you're up for it. :P
    Cheeky, Cheeky
  • Ditch Witch
    I am really, really up for this. Sometime in August, maybe??
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Boys! What? :shock:

:lol::lol: Of course. I like boys that are well-trained :wink:

August sounds good - would have to be first 2 weeks as I'm on holiday in the second half...

Am i the only one at the arse-end of the track? :lol:

This sounds like a fantastic idea!!!!!!!!

• Ditch Witch
    I suspect you may be. Do you want to come up by train then cycle home? I have to admit to liking the idea of cycling towards the sea :)
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Ditch Witch
    Oh, and poss dates:

25th July
    1st August
    8th August
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Right, will check the 'family' diary and see what's going on... i can't think of anything off the top of my head, but i have been known to 'forget' things that have been arranged when something more exciting (to me) cmoes along :wink:

will look at getting up to guildford - must check train providers' bike policies :D

i will be back :D

• elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Woooooooohoooooooooo!
    very pleased with my looking ahead, checking out the best route etc. Probably nothing to an experienced rider, but I felt so happy at the bottom, looking back up at the track I'd just managed!

[proffessorial voice]
    Don't like to be too judgemental, but if I could just bring over twenty years of off-roading experience to bear, you are utterly wrong - the track you're looking back at just gets steeper/looser, and it feels as good as it ever did knowing you nailed it with just your hard-won skills, trusted steed and a bit of luck - it certainly ain't nothing!
    [/fake lecture]
    :wink::lol:
    I have to admit to liking the idea of cycling towards the sea :)

That's because it's downhill and there's ice-cream at the end of it - what's not too like!? :D
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • great lecture, Professor Pedro!

ice-cream? brighton? :shock:

really?! :D:wink::lol: