Routes In The Dark Peaks - Jacobs Ladder

MartinGT
MartinGT Posts: 475
edited July 2009 in Routes
Hi Guys

A friend and I are biking in the Peaks at the end of the month. The only time I have biked there was around Ladybower.

I wouldnt mind doing a ride that takes in Jacobs Ladder as I have been informed its a good area.

So guys, over to you :)

Can you please reccommend me a loop that takes this in? A link maybe?

TIA

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    We usually start in Edale, climb up to Hollins cross and on to Mam Torr, down the right flank of that and onto Rushup edge... down Roych clough and up Mt Famine and down to Coldwell clough, then on up to Edale cross over Swines back and down the ladder. This brings you out in Upper Booth and a short section of road to Edale.
    Free parking is available in Barber Booth, but its only a layby and fills up quickly at weekends.
    Main advantage of Edale parking? Nearer to the pubs. :)
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • big_tex_uk
    big_tex_uk Posts: 183
    I would recommend that route also. It has some of the best decents in the peak and some of the biggest climbs also. Probably best tackled in decent weather as it can be pretty grim up on top of Rushup and Jacobs in bad weather.
    If i am going out on one i am happy, If i am out on one i am happy, If i have just been out on one i am happy, otherwise miserable!
  • tomclark21
    tomclark21 Posts: 17
    Not sure if you've seen the link below. We've used a few of these routes and haven't been let down yet. We did Doctors Gate by Ladybower, was awesome!!!!!

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/index.htm

Happy riding!!!
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    tom thats a quality website.
    martin if you click on this website, click the jacobs ladder route and that is pretty much what ratty and tex have recommended and is a great route, only done cut gate as an out and back which is also a mint ride
    enjoy 8)
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Some good video as well, slow server tho' so can take a while to download. Shows you what the trails are tho'. The route I gave is out of the Dark Peak Mountain Biking (True Grit Trails) guide book, lots of routes in there, always more to ride! 8)
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • sargar_uk
    sargar_uk Posts: 9
    Hi All,

Last week I was in the Peaks firs time in my life. I was really amazed how good it is.

In WMB or MBUK I read about Ladder. How chalanging it is, and if you are able to clear it out dab free you can consider yourself demi-god.

I was there, standing at the bottom of Ladder and realized that it is imposible for me to even try...
    Latter on I met few local guys (while fixing puncture), had a little chat and they said that they do not know anybody who was able to clear out Ladder from the Edale side. They said it is only possible from the oposite side (Hayfield I guess...) but still very, very difficult.

Can anybody cast a little bit of light for this?

Cheers!
    I.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Liam Killeen tried a couple of years back to climb it from the Edale side for a magazine article and failed,he had to carry on the last 15/20 metres..I have heard of people who say they can but i've never actually seen anyone clean the climb.The long pull up Oaken Clough from the Hayfield side is doable for the fit rider.
    IMO Jacobs Ladder is best as a descent,and many riders still don't clean the 1st 15 metres :lol:
  • sargar_uk
    Cheers ibbo68!
    ibbo68 wrote:
    IMO Jacobs Ladder is best as a descent,and many riders still don't clean the 1st 15 metres :lol:

I know what you mean:) I was just standing near the stone with "Jacob Ladder" plate and I was thinking to myself: "What am I doing here???".
    And you are right. 15, max 20 meters :lol:

Regards
    I.
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Hmm that site with the route has it down coming down Jacobs Ladder. For some perverse reason I want to ride/walk up it when I go that way in a couple of months. Do you think their loop will still be fun doing it anti clockwise?
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    We used one of these:-

http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/peak_district_edale.htm

Worth the money and a quick despatch.

Order today you'll get tomorrow hopefully.

BJB
  • Giggsmaster
    Giggsmaster Posts: 632
    breezer wrote:
    Hmm that site with the route has it down coming down Jacobs Ladder. For some perverse reason I want to ride/walk up it when I go that way in a couple of months. Do you think their loop will still be fun doing it anti clockwise?

I have done that route twice anti clockwise and still found it to be a good ride, with some great long descents. I have never done it clockwise yet. I think it is a good laugh trying to ride up the ladder....
  • sniper68
    breezer wrote:
    Yes but the climbs are bigger and apart from 1 long descent(from the top of Jacobs) the others downs are shorter ant-clockwise.
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Thats for the comments. Sounds like it might be better clockwise but I want to ride jacobs so anti clockwise it is. If I was fitter I could do it clockwise riding down it, then ride back up then ride down again heh
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Good luck working your way through the walkers.

They have every right to be there, but what a pain!
  • sargar_uk
    BigJimmyB wrote:

I was using same map. Seems to be qute good but a little bit to focused on the loop. If you want to go outside of it you need to experiment.

Not 100 per cent sure which way is clockwise and anti-clockwise...

I made it starting from Edale and went straight into the Ladder.

This saturday I want to keep Ladder for the final descent :twisted:
    So which one would be which :lol: ?

Walkeras... Last week weather was veeery good and I had no problems with walkers. Meet no more than 20-25 people on the whole loop (towns not included).
    Quite a few bikers more :)

Cheers!
    I.
  • sniper68
    sargar_uk wrote:
    BigJimmyB wrote:

I was using same map. Seems to be qute good but a little bit to focused on the loop. If you want to go outside of it you need to experiment.

Not 100 per cent sure which way is clockwise and anti-clockwise...

I made it starting from Edale and went straight into the Ladder.

This saturday I want to keep Ladder for the final descent :twisted:
    So which one would be which :lol: ?

Walkeras... Last week weather was veeery good and I had no problems with walkers. Meet no more than 20-25 people on the whole loop (towns not included).
    Quite a few bikers more :)

Cheers!
    I.
    Up Jacobs-anti-clockwise
    Down Jacobs-clockwise
  • Hi, im on holiday in the peaks from the 25th july and are looking for someone to show me some trails, as i will get lost! hehe.

thanks, mick
    Cinelli saetta
    Giant talon 29er
    Dolan e'tape
    Gt zaskar
  • sniper68
    Hi, im on holiday in the peaks from the 25th july and are looking for someone to show me some trails, as i will get lost! hehe.

thanks, mick
    We're doing this route on the 25th,9am start.
  • I may be able to make that. How far is the ride and how fit are you lot? Im a southern pansy! hehe :lol:
    Cinelli saetta
    Giant talon 29er
    Dolan e'tape
    Gt zaskar
  • sniper68
    I may be able to make that. How far is the ride and how fit are you lot? Im a southern pansy! hehe :lol:
    Its either 16 or 19 tough miles,4000ft of ascent,steady pace,set by the slowest rider.Its about having fun 8)