riding in gloucestershire

avijmc
avijmc Posts: 4
edited June 2009 in Routes
hi, looking for some help or knowledge. going on holiday over the summer to a timeshare near stroud in gloucestershire, would like to take my bike but its a hassle to get it in the car so would like to know if anyone knows of anywhere to ride in the area, its pretty hilly so hopefully should be somewhere. like all mountain and a bit of light dh. if theres somewhere to ride ill make the effort tot ake the bike
cheers.

Comments

• starsky007
    starsky007 Posts: 185
    yep, loads of places mate, there not to far. try the forest of dean only at the most 45mins away. great single track, downhill and fire roads. cumcarn isnt to far away just up the m4 to newport.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    bring the bike, loads of good riding and masses of hills in all directions
    check out randwick woods and cranham woods which are both only a few miles from stroud. a little further out u can try cleeve hill in cheltenham or better still goto the forest of dean
    noahs ark bike shop is in brimscombe GL52TA they should be able to point u in the right direction if u run out of ideas
    enjoy ur stay
  • tri-sexual
    when u get to stroud, have a drink in the ram pub in bussage
    ask for john the landlord, a small group of mountain bikers meet up there
    he can tell u the best rides locally
  • avijmc
    avijmc Posts: 4
    cool, thanks guys, was pretty sure there'd be some stuff cos its quite hilly.
    anyone know the area more in depth, the place were staying is called stouts hill, near dursley and uly. they're very small.
    should be a good holiday after all.
  • tri-sexual
    stouts hill near uley is a nice steep climb, i ride it on my road bike
    frocester hill is very close
    there are a few tracks which go from stouts hill to frocester off road and leads to selsley common (heading in the direction of stroud) its quite short- but when u get to selsley common there are loads hills to play on, look on google earth satellite- some of the routes can be seen but just go out explore and enjoy.
    its worth trying some road riding in that area, its a challenge and some the climbs are a real test.
  • glosboy
    glosboy Posts: 2
    Funny just joined forum today and can help.

PM me you email and I'll forward you a route that will almost certainly start almost at your door.
    If you'd rather not then have a look at the maps on the MB magazine website that is not one of above.
  • CustomReign
    CustomReign Posts: 185
    Does anyone use Cranham Park? I have heard it used to have 'north shore' but is still a great place to ride for XC.

Any info?
  • alitodd
    alitodd Posts: 104
    If you're near the forest of dean, try the FODCA trail.
    It's a medium difficulty single track with some nice features.
    the website is http://www.fodca.org.uk
    Great for an afternoon, and if you get bored, there's lots more close by
    (about 10 other set routes and loads of small woodland tracks)
    Have fun!
    I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

Giant Reign X1 2009 (With shiny bits)
  • cluffy
    cluffy Posts: 27
    i have only just joined and by pre coincidence am from stroud to!!

been looking for some guys to ride with to.

i know there is a local club called bigfoot who do rides around standish, cranham and cleeve which are all within 10 mins of stroud (apart from cleeve which is in cheltenham, bout half hour away)

id be interested in knowing the route you mentioned glosboy.

could meet up when you here mate for some rides, what sort of riding do you do?