change from rim brakes to disc, please help

jondi
jondi Posts: 152
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
I have a Gt avalanche 1.0, without disc brakes, I was wondering will disc brake rotors go on my standard wheels that came with bike ? I can't see any holes for attachment.
Do i need different wheels or is there a connection needed ?

:?: this may sound dumb :?:

Comments

• Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    you need disc hubs as the rotors have a standard 6 bolt pattern.

as luck would have it, Im selling a front wheel with that very thing.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what are the hubs?

also consider that both the frame and the fork need mounting points for the calipers.

and if you are thinking about hydro brakes you will need to make sure the gear shifters are separate from the brake levers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jondi
    can disc hubs be attached to regular wheels or do i need new wheels ?

Jesus christ are you selling front wheel and disc brakes ? , what wheel is it ?
  • Banned!
    the avalanche has tabs on the frame, of the fork doesnt you can aleays buy adapters.

if you want hydros you'll need a whole new set up on the bars, but if its mechanicals youi can use the existing V brake levers.
  • jondi
    it has attachment holes on front and back of bike , it is where you attach the rotors onto wheel is my concern, no holes for attachment to wheels
  • nicklouse
    jondi
    what are the hubs?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jondi
    edited June 2009
    shimano deore i think , can't go and have a look, in work at mo.

SHIMANO DEORE DH - M530 VIA.M, JUST CHECKED
  • Banned!
    they are non disc hubs by the sound of it. its really obvious jondi if you have disc compatible wheels. theres a big fitting platform on the left hand side

see the classified for my wheel. its just the wheel,no brake with it.
  • nicklouse
    ok when you get back. take a picture of the non drive side of the rear hub and both ends of the front hub.

Or if you can see a part number on the hub that will be good.

as shimano can have a spline fitting for discs.
  • jondi
    Its kinda thought that, just wondered if the was a special atthment i could of used first to change over.
  • Banned!
    nope, you cant buy a retro fit hub adapter for disc brakes im afraid, it has to be new hubs.
  • nicklouse
    Jesus_Christ

actually you can but it is not worth it.

jondi
    lets see what the hubs are and when we know that, we can give you your options.
  • jondi
    So i'd better off getting new wheels and new disc brakes ? costly mmm
  • nicklouse
    jondi
    why?

lets see the hubs they MAY be disc compatible. :roll:
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    ^listen to Nick, he knows what he's talking about and I think I know what he's getting at.

Shimano wheels often use their own disc attachment system called Centerlock. This is quite a low profile system and that's why he wants to see a pic of the left side of the hub.

More than this, the alfine disc hub I bought last year actually had a rubber cap that you put on top of the CL attachment if you're not using it, which would further hide it from view.

Upshot is; there's a good chance that the hub can take a disc, but Nick needs to see a pic of it to tell you for sure.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • nicklouse
    bomberesque

in one.
  • jondi
    edited June 2009
    It's a SHIMANO DEORE DH - M530 VIA.M,

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x49/ ... elhub1.jpg
  • nicklouse
    unfortunately the 530 are not disc ready.

so it is new wheels/hubs.
  • jondi
    Oh well , cheers for the help. Can you recommend a good set of wheels and disc brake set for around £200 or less ??
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    you could start at Merlin Cycles all look like good sets, here's a couple in your budget

Deore discs and Deore on Maxic XM317s for 200

or

Hayes Stroker and Deore hubs on Mavic 117s for 175

I'm not familiar with 117 rims but they're Mavic so I'm sure they're fine. 317s aer a common choice and Deore owns at this pricepoint (although I've not tried Deore brakes, but they'll be fine, I'm sure)

I got teh XCOnes and XTR brake kit form these guys and they were delivered fast and fine. Mate of mine got a set of custom wheels from them and was similarly satisfied.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • jondi
    are these any good - Mavic XM317 rims and the •Front and rear 2009 Deore hydraulic disc brakes. I would like some kind of review, if possible.
    Or should i wait and spend around £250 to £300 at a later date ?
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Merlin have a few deals on at the min on brake/wheel kits....Mavic crossrides and hayes stroker trails for£227 if you stretch the budget a bit.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... rake-kits/