New to MTB - first bike advice

dmpraider
dmpraider Posts: 2
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

New to the forum and MTBing. I am looking at getting a Trek 4300. Have tried the bike, for about an hour, and I like it. Will be paying about £340 for it, new 09 version. Can I ask what other people think of this bike and is it worth paying an extra £30 for disc brakes?

Are there any other good hardtail alternatives in this sort of price range? Don't really want to go over £370 due to lack of finances!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    thats not a bad bike and yes, its definetly worth the extra for disc brakes.

have you looked around for sale bikes? you might get lucky and find a bike in your range that was double that a few months back. the giant yukon springs to mind, if theyre still going.
  • keirtristan
    keirtristan Posts: 296
    Make a cup of tea and have a full read of the "What Hard Tail" thread under the buying advice section.

Then contact all your local dealers and draw up a list of bikes that fit your price range, go test them and buy the one that feels right. Also no harm is asking for advise once you have your list.

The Trek will be a decent bike but this is no definitive answer as to whether discs are worth the extra £30.
  • Klein XC
    Klein XC Posts: 35
    I'm not familiar with the bike, but personally I wouldn't bother with disc brakes on a bike in that price bracket, they'll just add extra weight and no more stopping power.

The Gary Fisher Wahoo is highly rated:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... ahoo-10162

This year's model is available at £370:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gar ... e-ec017163

It has a different fork from the 07 model in that review, but it still has the Deore rear mech which is fantastic value at this price point. And it's a very smart handling bike. As a first mountain bike, I reckon this would get you hooked on it :-) Plus, it's a Fisher, which is always good for 'trail cred' ;-)

Most important though is that you like the fit and feel of the bike. I would advise to try out a few before you buy, and then go with the one that feels right. Parts like brakes and gears etc can be easily upgraded at a later date if you think you need better ones.
    "Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." Spike Milligan.
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    it depends on the brakes. unless theyre utterly crap,and they wont be on a trek* they will almost always be better than V's, unless theyre XT or similar.

* yes, I know theyre not Hope 6 pots or whatever, but theyre still gonna be usable and better than V's. especially in the winter.
  • Klein XC
    Klein XC Posts: 35
    it depends on the brakes. unless theyre utterly crap,and they wont be on a trek* they will almost always be better than V's, unless theyre XT or similar.

Merlin Cycles are selling some complete Deore and LX V-brake kits for around £35, and it wouldn't cost much to get a bike shop to fit them.

However, as a first bike, I would concentrate on getting the bike that rides and feels the best, and think about components second.
    "Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." Spike Milligan.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you like the 4300, you'll love the 4500!

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/109767.html

Better fork, 9 speed drivetrain, fully disc ready - and a great price. One of my favourite bikes of 2008.
  • Try and get an 08 version of the bike you like (whatever that may end up being). It is likely/possible you'll get a better bike for less money than you'd spend on an 09 bike.

And this (unlike lots of things) I know from experience :D

Good luck with your search!
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08