Bingo targets stages?

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Just flicking through the comic in Tescos and "Bingo" says he's going to aim for stage wins at the Tour and not the points competition. So after his "non" attempt at Milan San Remo, looks like he'll be going for an all out green jersey then...

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Of course he wants to win the Green Jersey - no matter what he says publicly. And stage wins will go a long way towards that.

The article basically does the math and works out that he'll need at least 4 stage wins plus several intermediate sprints to get the jersey.

If he somehow manages to get MORE than 4 stage wins, or gets several in the first half of the Tour - he might be able to put the competition out of reach early on and then won't have to contest the intermediates as much.

But I believe him when he says the priority will be to finish the Tour first of all, win stages second of all and the Green Jersey will be a huge bonus if he gets it.

Don;t think this one is him playing dead as much as MSR was.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd just like to see him get round the full tour TBH.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    I thought that he'd been working with Zabel for a while now on the green jersey assault?
  • millar time
    millar time Posts: 392
    To be honest if he does get round the whole distance I'd imagine he'll be there or thereabouts for the green jersey anyway.

I'd love to see him hand out a beating to Boonen et al on the Champs and seal the green jersey into the bargain.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    He's practised the Ventoux so I think that's his intent.
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    To be honest if he does get round the whole distance I'd imagine he'll be there or thereabouts for the green jersey anyway.

I'd love to see him hand out a beating to Boonen et al on the Champs and seal the green jersey into the bargain.

He won't be there so it won't happen.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    avalon wrote:

Yes he will... :wink:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    teagar wrote:
    avalon wrote:

Yes he will... :wink:

Who are we talking about here, Bingo or Boonen :D
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    I am really confident about Cav for Green this year. I know it's his intention and it's et up so it's more about the finshes than the intermediates this year,

FFS there's two sprints half way up Andorra!!!! If Cav don't win green I'm a Dutchamn winngin Polkadot!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    As long as Cav works on his consistency he should be odds on for the Green Jersey. He can't afford to go AWOL on too many stages, as someone coming top 10 in all the sprints plus some of the intermediates can rack up a fairly big points total even without winning a stage.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    With no credible GC contender, Colombia can afford to patrol the breaks, & send people off the front to scoop up points, so I think the finishes will be way more important than intermediates. Also, if they tell the last lead out guys to keep pedalling after he's launched, there's a few more points potentially denied to Freire et al.

Strava is not Zen.