A few questions pls :)

Mimix
Mimix Posts: 24
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
Hello all :)

I found a lovely club - even if not my nearest - and they are really a lovely bunch so after a couple of tries I have decided to join them. I have acquired a few points and read about this on the British Cycling Association. However I still have quite a few unanswered questions which I hope you can answer.

From what I understand joining the Club allows me to race on the road. Is this the only 'perk' of joining the club?
What are the benefits of becoming a member of the BCA?
When I work my way up the categories do I get a card/certificate???

I am also thinking of getting bike insurance, I am concerned about falling off and also causing damage to my or other riders very expensive bikes. What do you suggest?

Thank you!

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    If you want to race BC (British Cycling, not BCA) you need to join BC and get a BC licence, just being a club member isnt enough. This membership also gives some third party insurance.

If you want a cheaper route into racing, try googling TLI or The League International - cheaper to join, cheaper race entry, and see whats on where you live.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Mimix wrote:
    Hello all :)

I found a lovely club - even if not my nearest - and they are really a lovely bunch so after a couple of tries I have decided to join them. I have acquired a few points and read about this on the British Cycling Association. However I still have quite a few unanswered questions which I hope you can answer.

From what I understand joining the Club allows me to race on the road. Is this the only 'perk' of joining the club?
    What are the benefits of becoming a member of the BCA?
    When I work my way up the categories do I get a card/certificate???

I am also thinking of getting bike insurance, I am concerned about falling off and also causing damage to my or other riders very expensive bikes. What do you suggest?

Thank you!

The perks of joining a club are more training-based. If it's a good club it will hold regular rides and events just for club members.

Joining a club doesn't allow you to race. In fact - you can race without being in a club at all. But you need a silver or gold membership from British Cycling - and a racing licence. You can either buy a full-year racing licence or just pay to get a day licence on the day - if you aren't going to race much.

You will start as a Category (Cat) 4. If you get 10 points, you move up to Cat 3 - and they automatically send you a new licence to reflect the change.

Insurance is probably a waste of time unless you are prone to accidents. A British Cycling membership will cover you for some things anyway.

Hope this clears up a few things...
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Pokerface wrote:
    The perks of joining a club are more training-based. If it's a good club it will hold regular rides and events just for club members.

I thought the benefits of being in a club was being able to go:

"Sorry, mate, can't do any work, Joe's there in the break."
    or when in a break
    "Sorry, mate, can't do any work, team wants a sprint this week."

Even if the reality is you're just too knackered to do anything...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    got to be in a club to do a TT
    You can join BC as a private member so no club needed to RR
    You compete at your own risk
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Pokerface
    sub55 wrote:

I'm not in a club and do my former club's TT each week. It's open to anyone. Maybe they should be 'technically' checking to see if everyone participating is a club member....
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Pokerface wrote:
    sub55 wrote:

I'm not in a club and do my former club's TT each week. It's open to anyone. Maybe they should be 'technically' checking to see if everyone participating is a club member....

yes thay should sheck and i bet you fell smug but if you have a crash your not insured
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Mimix
    hi all and thanks for your replies albeit late I dont get all that time to browse the net!
    Anyway I dont think i mentioned and dont know if this is relevant to your replies but I am doing TT's. Do TT's fall in the road racing category then?

Cheers
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Mimix wrote:
    Do TT's fall in the road racing category then?

Mimix, you seem a bit (mi)mixed up:

In the UK:

Time Trials
    Governing Body = Cycling Time Trials
    Points / Category System = none
    Racing Licence required = no
    Need to be a member of a club affiliated to governing body = yes, but only for "open" events. You can ride "club" events without being a member of any club

Mass Start Road Races (ie all riders start together in a big group)
    Governing Body = British Cycling
    Points / Category System = yes
    Racing Licence required = yes
    Need to be a member of a club affiliated to governing body = no
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    edited June 2009
    Need to be a member of a club affiliated to governing body = yes, but only for "open" events. You can ride "club" events without being a member of any club
    Not strictly true. The promoter of a 'club' event may let you ride a 'private trial' but not on a regular basis unless you are in the area temporarily and are a member of another club. You can then ride as a guest rider.
    You can ride in 'Come and try it' events while not a club member.
  • Mimix
    Bronzie, that sums it up quite clearly thanks a lot! Is just that when I get the TT results there are points assigned so I am wondering what they are for?
  • Pokerface
    Mimix wrote:
    Bronzie, that sums it up quite clearly thanks a lot! Is just that when I get the TT results there are points assigned so I am wondering what they are for?

The points may be your club's own ranking system. My club, for instance, has a season-long competition, and points are assigned to your finishing position each TT. Points are added up at the end of the season to determine an overall club TT champion, etc.

The points have no significance outside the club.