Limiting steering?

josiej
josiej Posts: 2
Hi all
New here and new to bikes so hoping for a bit of help if at all possible please. My DD is nearly 6 and never been into bikes, more of a scooter addict. After riding bikes without pedals at school and liking it, we have bought her a bike. Due to her size (she is really tall) we have gone for the Islabike Beinn 20 Large. However, the handlebars kinda spin all the way around which I think might make things more tricky whilst she is mastering really riding a bike. is there anything I can do to limit them please? I did ring my local bike shop, but as they hadn't even heard of Isla bikes, didn't feel too inspired! (he also had no clue what I was on about saying a lot are toy bikes like from Toysrus etc ?!?!)

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The bars won't do a full 360 cause of the cables etc, max rotation will be about 270 degrees which might be disconcerting for a young 'un. Short of puting a reflector on the fork crown and making sure it hits the downtube, suitably protected with an old innertube, there isn't a lot I can think of.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Don't worry, she'll pick it up pretty quickly if she's already been on a "walker" bike. We've taught several hundred kids to ride over the years at our Saturday Club and this hasn't proved a problem.

The only time it may cause any difficulty is when she perhaps loses her balance and jerks the bars round to recover and over-corrects. Then it's likely she'll have a bit of a fall but nothing serious. She'll ahve the odd prang from time to time and there'll be a few tears and some grazes/bruises, but fall-less learning is not given to man/woman/boy/girl, I'm afraid.

Good luck
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/