Prudhomme`s Double Standards

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Is it just me, or is anyone else baffled by his statement that Tom Boonen is welcome at the Tour - but on the other Hand Alejandro Valverde is not !!! so it's ok to dope as long it`s for recreational purpose`s. . i understand the case regarding valverde and the alleged operation Puerto.
I Understand Boonen wanting to Cross the WHITE line 1st - but its obvious he likes other WHITE lines :D

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The Tour briefly goes into Italy, where Valverde is banned - that seems to be the main problem.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    RichN95 wrote:
    The Tour briefly goes into Italy, where Valverde is banned - that seems to be the main problem.

Not really the problem from the viewpoint of Prudhomme. Valverde's team asked if he could start the race and drop out when the race reached Italy - but they said no. They just don't want the negative publicity, etc.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Neither are going to ride the Tour de France, the French Sports Ministry wants to ban both of them from racing in France.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    er, Valverde is a cheat and Boonen isn't
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    so it's ok to dope as long it`s for recreational purpose`s. .

From a sports regulation point of view, yes it is. At least, it should be.

What civil authorities or his employer does with him is another matter.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Pokerface wrote:
    They just don't want the negative publicity, etc.

Failing to see what is wrong with an organisation protecting themselves from negative publicity. As others have said the white line isn't a PED in terms of sports, though it could be said in these terms this is negative publicity.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pokerface wrote:
    They just don't want the negative publicity, etc.

Failing to see what is wrong with an organisation protecting themselves from negative publicity. As others have said the white line isn't a PED in terms of sports, though it could be said in these terms this is negative publicity.

I don't disagree with you in the slightest. Their race, their rules.
  • preeby
    preeby Posts: 22
    Something else that puzzles me -

Given confirmation of the DNA evidence yesterday from Italy re. Valverde's blood being confirmed to be in one of the bags in Fuentes' lab, why is he being allowed to continue in the Dauphiné??

Maybe I'm speaking too soon, but surely if they want to maintain any credibility, Caisse d'Epargne should pull the cheating little **** from the race now!?!

Do you know the five lamps ?
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    The Ittalians have evidence that had the rules been follwed properly would not have been available.
    So the Spanish havent yet banned him and they would need to for the global ban to take effect.
    This doesnt mean Valerdi is innocent of doping, it just means hes not been found guilty by the right body. Much like Armstrong hasnt been found guilty but has taken EPO cortosoids etc.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    As for double standards, having Armstrong there and banning Boonen would be a very good example. After all Armstrongs done epo a banned substance and a ped. Boonen has got caught taking coke which is not a PED or banned. Clearly there is a legal and moral issue with both though.
  • sergen
    sergen Posts: 39
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Is it just me, or is anyone else baffled by his statement that Tom Boonen is welcome at the Tour - but on the other Hand Alejandro Valverde is not !!! so it's ok to dope as long it`s for recreational purpose`s. . i understand the case regarding valverde and the alleged operation Puerto.
    I Understand Boonen wanting to Cross the WHITE line 1st - but its obvious he likes other WHITE lines :D

As others have mentioned, neither the governing bodies nor ASO would not be obliged to ban a rider who has tested positive for an 'out of competition drug'.

The real double standard is allowing Boonen to race this year after they had banned him for the same 'offence' in 2008. In terms of consistency it's absolute nonsense and also runs contrary to Prudhomme's earlier statement that Boonen's participation would be "out of the question".

Their race, their (very muddled) rules.