Descending in a sportive

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
I’ve read a few comments recently about the „Numpties“ one finds on some Alpine Sportive descents. I’m very fortunate to be able to see the Alps from our nearest hill and am fairly confident descending on training rides. The smaller events I’ve undertaken in the Alps have thinned out by the time of the big descents so there haven’t been too many people heading for the same bend at any one time. I’m heading off to La Marmotte in a few weeks, where I expect there will be some more packed roads. Does anyone have any advice on descending in a pack and avoiding the „Numpties“, and how to avoid being one yourself?

Comments

• Hi there - well you're absolutely right - reason to be concerned as I've personally witnessed 2 deaths in 2 separate editions of la marmotte caused by over zealous descending.
    Don't mean to frighten you! Put simply, the marmotte should be closed to traffic but its not and so its like full scale suicide descending en mass if you're in the 'laughing' group!
    Best advice i can give is to do your best to start further up the field where the standard is higher. It might mean you going a little faster to start with in the valley and even on the first climb to ensure you're comfortable in the size of the group you're in etc. but thats all well and good - on the road on race day its v. difficult to do in practice. The real danger hotspot tends to be on the descent of the glandon (upper slopes) and mid sections - thats when riders try to make up time but really we're talking seconds here! I would say do your best to be with a quality group nearing the summit of the glandon and then space yourself apart from the guy in front as best you can - overtake when in doubt! the first few km's are technical with lots of hairpins but fine if you're a good descender - watch out also for tired legs on the run in to alpe d'huez at the end of the day - small incidents can occur in what is a very easy / main road descent due to fatigue. Descending the galibier is fantastic - often riders are very spread out at this point so should just need to think about yourself at that stage.

all the best
    Martyn
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I'd advise you don't take the "racing line" in the bends as inevitably some plonker will try to pass you on the inside, aim to leave room on both sides so if some Dutchman the size of a bison wants to come past he can. But just do your own thing, the accidents happen when you try to race someone else down and overcook it.