newbie first question!

Civvy
Civvy Posts: 3
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Just started back to mtb after 12 years or so. Got myself a boardman pro and love it! Brings a big smile to my face chucking it about on the fast forest trails around Burghead. Unforunately after 40 or 50 miles I got my first puncture, no probs with repairing, but in the review on the bike the tyres were mentioned as a choice we'd query!

"Conti Speed King 2.1 tyres are the only choice we'd query"

Can anyone advise me on an alternative tyre, I understand by their construction they maybe prone to punctures. The area is hard forest tracks with sections of sand and loose stones to boot! I realise that the review may not be particularly relating to punctures!

Thanks for your time and advice!
Broadman HT Pro (09)

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Get some slime tubes off ebay and fit them
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Seems to be an issue with the Boardmans, i'm looking to get new tyres, so many out there. Im thinking Maxxis High Rollers or Ignitors. There are some cheaper Michelin alternatives that get good reviews. Also, Shwalbe range which are a littler more pricey.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    My favorite combination is Schwalbe nobby nics up front and Maxxis High Rollers on the rear.

Not everyone likes NNs so each to their own. High rollers are one of the grippiest tyres I have ever used and the new XC ones are <500gr which is bloody light compared to their DH ones. I fitted an XC one for the first time last night, not ridden it yet but if it is anything like as capable as the DH ones I have on my Evil then we're quids in!

As for punctures, you getting pinchflats or thorns? My understanding is Slime tubes won't stop pinch flats, but then nothing short of going tubeless stopped me getting pinchflats!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    -1 for slime tubes!

Yeah, thats right, MINUS.

So, Civvy, how long you been out of the forces? What were you in? :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Civvy
    Civvy Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the advice, will look into my options!

bigchazrocks - 16years out now from the marines! Life's Good!!!
    Broadman HT Pro (09)