Blob on a bike needs help and suggestions

mookboy
mookboy Posts: 39
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi there,

Basically I got my bike a year or so ago, had a brief spurt of fun on it, and then ended up turning into a lazy blob and let it gather dust. I've decided to stop being such a lazy couch potato and get out on it again and hopefully do some off road stuff in the summer with a friend.

My bike is a Carrera Fury from late 2007.

I have a pair of questions however:

1) I am a little overweight and very unfit. Is there a regime to follow out there, to help me structure how much I ride and how far? I want to do this properly and not put myself off from trying to do too much too soon. I'm hoping there might be a good guide on getting started off on a bike for a complete new starter with pants fitness levels.

2) I had a problem with the bike not going into gear properly when I engaged the biggest sprocket on the pedal end of the chain. I had it back to Halfords first, then a local shop to adjust the bike and solve it, but it's come back a third time. Any clues?

Thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    When you say 1st gear, do you mean the largest rear cog? You simply do not need to use this combination as the chain skews at an angle, can fall off the chainrings and wears stuff out quick. You can get the same ratio in the middle chainring and a middle sized cog.

As for fitness plans we have a some great inf in the Health section here - worth having a look back through the pages for people in simialr postions.
  • mookboy
    mookboy Posts: 39
    With the gears, no matter where the chain sits on the rear cogs, when I move the chain up to the largest cog on the pedal, it slips and clatters and doesn't engage properly.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like the cassette, cahin and probably chainrings are worn. Make sure that the cables are clean and smooth, and the derailer and hanger are not bent.

But as above, when in the large front chainring, only use the 4 or 5 smallest rear cogs.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mookboy wrote:
    1) I am a little overweight and very unfit. Is there a regime to follow out there, to help me structure how much I ride and how far? I want to do this properly and not put myself off from trying to do too much too soon. I'm hoping there might be a good guide on getting started off on a bike for a complete new starter with pants fitness levels.

I started off in a similar condition, I bedded in by doing a few brisk (but not flat out) rides of circa 5-10 miles on the road, building up with more hills and faster at times to get to a level of fitness to work from, I've now got a second set of wheels with road tyres (and put a rack on) and am cycling 7.5 miles to work when I can, its not a long journey but quite hilly! The benefits are already obvious and I've only cycled a total of about 100miles so far.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    mookboy wrote:
    With the gears, no matter where the chain sits on the rear cogs, when I move the chain up to the largest cog on the pedal, it slips and clatters and doesn't engage properly.

There's a little screw on the cable near your shifter. The front cog one should be on the left handlebar, just follow the cable to be sure. As you twizzle the little screw, the derailleur will move to the left or right. Give this a little turn until it stops rubbing on the chain while in the biggest gear and your moving the pedals.

I never use that ring, though, I'll be honest. Like Supersonic says, you can get almost the same effect in the middle ring with your cassette in the highest (i.e. smallest, furthest from the bike) gear.

As for getting fitter, after a break, the only thing you need to do is just get out and ride. MTB is naturally an interval training sport (switching between high and low intensity) so you'll get fit really quickly if you get out regularly. Make sure you go out at least twice, preferably 3-4 times, a week.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • hanneyp
    hanneyp Posts: 14
    I'm in a similar position. Getting back on the bike to get fit after a few years of lazy commuter lifestyle.

The one piece of advice I'd give to anyone cycling for fitness is .... get a heartrate monitor. Even the cheapest will typically workout heart-rate zones for you (or you can do this yourself) and it gives instant feedback on how hard you're working and calories burnt. Which means you can exercise "smart" and not overtrain.

Tracking a few things (like heartrate, calories burnt, avg speed) over the same runs over the weeks really helps me with motiviation, as I see results on the watch long before I see it on the waist :).

Pete
    Diamondback Vectra Pro (2003)