Is it possible to adjust the handlebar height?

Banford
Banford Posts: 5
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
I've adjusted the seat height but the handlebars don't seem to adjust at all. Is this normal on a MTB? It's nearly midnight but I'll take a photo tomorrow so people can see what I'm working with.

Theres a nut at the top of the front fork post and then 2 nuts holding the handlebars to this fork, ive adjusted all 3 but it didnt do anything.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need to change the stem or the bars to raise the grip position.

to lower them you may be able to rearrange some of the headset spacers to above the stem but then you will be needing to re preload the headset bearings again.

How an aheadset works

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    ANd make sure those two stem bolts are right before you ride!
  • Banford
    Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure how you 'adjusted' them but make sure your headset is loaded properly, you need to loosen the stem, retorque the top cap and the retorque the stem.

If you want to lift the bars you can get risers (or higher risers if yours have a small rise) or a riser stem, hybrids often have adjustable stems you can use on an MTB.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Banford
    I went for a ride today and all seemed in order. 8) Thanks.