unLock ring

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited June 2009 in The workshop
I have a couple of sets of wheels with hubs that take SS or FG sprockets a while back I bought a Miche sprocket & carrier set which fitted perfectly on all of my hubs my collection of lock rings however seem to fit perfectly but as soon as I apply any pressure to tighten the lock ring it comes undone :evil:

What gives? I ordered a Miche lock ring from Wiggle which arrived today and looks the same as all the others I have, yep does the same unscrewing its self :evil:

I'm at a loss now, what am I doing wrong?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You're remembering that the lockring thread is reversed I assume?
  • itboffin
    whyamihere wrote:
    You're remembering that the lockring thread is reversed I assume?

Oh yes it just seems to be the same size as the hub threads which can't be right I have 4 different hubs, the one i'm trying it on is a set of Bowery wheels.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Simple reason, you're putting too much pedal force onto the sprocket. Don't pedal so hard :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Are you just over-tightening it? Could be causing damage to the threads... shouldn't the sprocket tighten itself to the lockring as you pedal anyway? Or have I misunderstood that?
  • lost_in_thought
    Ooooooooh and now I've got the same problem!

LBS maintains that the miche lockrings actually come in 2 sizes, the second of which is only available from Condor, or other mythical places.

Is this true??
  • itboffin

LBS maintains that the miche lockrings actually come in 2 sizes, the second of which is only available from Condor, or other mythical places.

Is this true??

Dunno i'll pop in this morning and ask :D
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:

Is this true??

Dunno i'll pop in this morning and ask :D

Thaaaaaaanks! :D
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yes - Miche lockrings come in 2 sizes as I have been told - I bought the wrong size for my hub!! 2 differing threads too.

Also, I find a bit of Liquid Threadlock (you can by from any good car parts store) applied to the theads may help....
  • itboffin
    Okay now for some FACTS

Miche sprocket & carrier will fit on any threaded hub
    Miche lock ring is for Miche hubs which are Italian thread which are slightly different in size to Japanese.

Condor is the greatest LBS in the world, they have all three types, yes three can't remember what the third one was some kind of Dura Ace track specific size I think.

That last FACT might not in FACT be F ACTually correct. :D
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:
    Okay now for some FACTS

Miche lock ring is for Miche hubs which are Italian thread which are slightly different in size to Japanese.

Condor is the greatest LBS in the world, they have all three types, yes three can't remember what the third one was some kind of Dura Ace track specific size I think.

Condor is not the greatest LBS in the world, it is overpriced and silly.

However, they do have all the sizes of lockring, fair play to them for that. We shall see if they sold me the right one or not...
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    Okay now for some FACTS

Condor is not the greatest LBS in the world, it is overpriced and silly.

However, they do have all the sizes of lockring, fair play to them for that. We shall see if they sold me the right one or not...

You may or may not be right FACT :lol: