£2.40 on bus or this? NEXT MTB

rael4077
rael4077 Posts: 4
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Sold a heap load of memory foam pillows at work. Was awarde a NEXT voucher for £160. Not into poncy clothes so found that NEXT sold bikes throught the website.
I opted for the one without the complicated suspension. http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/sports/bicycles/4/5 :?
I used to have a cheap Raleigh Dakota...Flew like the wind!
It has mud terrain tyres And is a real pig to get about on...Unhappy about the suspension forks. The tyres and the handlebar shifters, don't select with a positive 'click' like the old lever type ones. Guess i need to change to road tyres. I commute to the city 15 mins each way on this. On my Dakota (was stolen) 7 mins max! :(
Modern Cheap Bikes are Rubbish!? This was made in Tunisia by 'Falcon'. :evil:
What can i do to maximise this pig? Anyone got a Raleigh Dakota? :D

Comments

• LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    the best thing to do is dig a deep hole and bury it!!

just kidding, if it gets you out and about, then its worth it!
  • rael4077
    rael4077 Posts: 4
    I would. And agree to a degree...But i am financially strapped and need it to pay for itself!
    Raising the seat to get more power is an option. But why don't the pedals spin freely?
    My Grandad told me about his cycling experiences in Ireland.
    He had a bike that after a few pedals over a hillock, would convey him for miles to the next town... :) He relayed the reason being.....'a sweeping curve in the forks'
    He got a modern bike in his later years...used it a few times...then gave up! :cry:
    I can see why...! Got a bit of faith in this NEXT thing. My Dakota looked similar.
    Some advice please! :roll:
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Look at it this way. 15 minutes is still better than sitting in traffic. You will be slower, but you're not in a race and you're getting twice as much exercise as you would normally.

It's a £140 bike, what do you want? That bike is slow because it's cheap, not because it's modern.

At least it IS a bike, you could be on the bus.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Look at it this way. 15 minutes is still better than sitting in traffic. You will be slower, but you're not in a race and you're getting twice as much exercise as you would normally.

It's a £140 bike, what do you want? That bike is slow because it's cheap, not because it's modern.

At least it IS a bike, you could be on the bus.
    good point, it may be trash, but its still transport, save up and get a decent bike if you want something beter.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Hi,

It is a cheap bike and consequently it won't be as nice to ride as something a little more expensive. But, it will get you to work and back every day more or less for free. If thats all you want from the bike then don't bother reading on but if you want it to be fun as well then it's probably worth changing the bike once its served a purpose.

I understand that money may be a bit tight at the moment but as riding to work will be saving you money why not put the cash aside that you would have spent on buses and after a year you'll have enough to get a better quality bike more suited to your purpose.

For a bit of motivation, maybe pop into a local bike shop and try out a couple of bikes in the £500-£600 range (1 years bus money at £2.40 per day) and see what a massive difference there is.

If that feels like too much cash then maybe think about looking for a second hand bargain. A couple of hundred quid secondhand will get you a perfectly good commuting bike.

I wouldn't spend any money on tyres or anything else for this bike, just ride it as is until you've stashed enough cash for something more enjoyable and then sell it on.
  • joshtp
    Hi,

It is a cheap bike and consequently it won't be as nice to ride as something a little more expensive. But, it will get you to work and back every day more or less for free. If thats all you want from the bike then don't bother reading on but if you want it to be fun as well then it's probably worth changing the bike once its served a purpose.

I understand that money may be a bit tight at the moment but as riding to work will be saving you money why not put the cash aside that you would have spent on buses and after a year you'll have enough to get a better quality bike more suited to your purpose.

For a bit of motivation, maybe pop into a local bike shop and try out a couple of bikes in the £500-£600 range (1 years bus money at £2.40 per day) and see what a massive difference there is.

If that feels like too much cash then maybe think about looking for a second hand bargain. A couple of hundred quid secondhand will get you a perfectly good commuting bike.

I wouldn't spend any money on tyres or anything else for this bike, just ride it as is until you've stashed enough cash for something more enjoyable and then sell it on.
    +1
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    +1.

£2.40 a day is £50 a month (at 21 working days a month). Stick that in a high interest account and you can have yourself a spesh hardrock pro disc in 10 months.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dude, 1st of all, nice one..!
    my last bike was from Halfords years ago, was about £100 and had no suspension on it whatsoever. I must have done over 1000miles on it (used to regularly cycle from my house to my mums everysunday (20mile round trip).. all I did was get a Gel saddle from tescos for £5. rode it all the time in the rain and even some snow, no one stole it either.. it was a work horse.. by the end it was dead and needed a new rear gear mechanism, so I joined my cycle to work scheme at work and got a more expensive one.

if it's got two wheels and you feel good on it then cool mate...go for it.

whateveryone else thinks....sod em...just look at their stressed little faces on the bus or in a car jam..I should know its me somedays and think, why didn't I just take the bike.

do your own thing, be your own person and ride ride ride....

G
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Use it, give it a good oiling, get some decent pedals, saddle and lighter seat post, pumnp up the tyres to get them to roll for you, when you get a better bike swap them over and put the stuff back on to flog!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I agree with the saddle and pedals if the originals are causing him problems, but a lighter seatpost!? :? It might not even fit the new bike (IF and) when he upgrades.

Just ride it til it dies or you want a new one!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • joshtp
    bails87 wrote:
    I agree with the saddle and pedals if the originals are causing him problems, but a lighter seatpost!? :? It might not even fit the new bike (IF and) when he upgrades.

Just ride it til it dies or you want a new one!
    +1
    what is the point of a lighter seatpost?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    lol, Next make forks ?

A bikes a bike, as long as you use it then its a good buy, ride it till it drops to bits then spend a bit more on a new one, enjoy !
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Seen one in argos, 50.00 reduced from like 70%

Its is a piece though, so if it falls a part while your riding dont blame me, :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    UncleMonty wrote:
    lol, Next make forks ?

A bikes a bike, as long as you use it then its a good buy, ride it till it drops to bits then spend a bit more on a new one, enjoy !

A!!!!!!!+++
  • go for it mate...I was spending £76 a month on bus fares to and from work..knocked that on the head and bought a giant for £550..the bike paid for itself within a year, got me very fit and saved me a heck of money..now I know my bike aint the best on the go but its loyal to me and I treat it well... 8) and I laugh at folk sitting on the bus miserable coughing over each other etc.. as my loyal machine gets me to work quicker (is that a good thing?) and home quicker than what the bus ever did and for free!
    dont listen to those who knock you...secretley they will be jealous...