Kazak government bail out Astana

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2009 in Pro race
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/n ... YHeadlines

"Americans and Europeans are trying to buy this team. It's easy to sell but we must do everything to save it."

Wait til the people funding the team demand x % of the Tour squad are from the homeland...
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,043
    But that is the case now. And rightly so IMHO.

Bruyneel is obliged to have 8 to 10 Kazakh riders on the roster. I dare say he is not particulary happy that he doesn't have the freedom to pick and choose his roster, but he must have known that when he took on the team.

I wonder what attracted him to one of the (at the time) richest teams in the Pro-Tour :twisted:

I am surprised that he has got away with squads such as the ToC team that had no Kazakhs at all!

The problem for the Kazakh sponsors is that most do not operate in Europe or America, so the advertising the team does on the road is of no worth. I guess they got into it for the love of the sport (and Vino!).

Bruyneel & LA must be doing a good job of winding then up by fading out the flag though.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Dumb question, but then again I live over here(USA) and not over there. Just what are the
    Kazakh government tourism offices trying to sell? Beaches, ski resorts,???? Why would I go there???? Just curious???
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    They are backed by various state-controlled companies like the state railways and airline, plus a couple of mining companies. It has a little to do with actually marketing goods and services and is instead a political vanity project first set up for the glory of arch-doper Vinokourov on behalf of a semi-dictatorial state and its political leaders where the incumbent government has an iron grip on power and senior opposition politicians meet grizzly deaths if they speak too loud.
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    They are backed by various state-controlled companies like the state railways and airline, plus a couple of mining companies. It has a little to do with actually marketing goods and services and is instead a political vanity project first set up for the glory of arch-doper Vinokourov on behalf of a semi-dictatorial state and its political leaders where the incumbent government has an iron grip on power and senior opposition politicians meet grizzly deaths if they speak too loud.

So, working on my tan and / or blasting through the fresh, deep, powder snow is not something I'd go there for???? Add to that "grizzly deaths" if I speak too loud(and you know me), hell, I wouldn't last a day there. Guess I'll take a pass for now.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    dennisn wrote:
    Dumb question, but then again I live over here(USA) and not over there. Just what are the
    Kazakh government tourism offices trying to sell? Beaches, ski resorts,???? Why would I go there???? Just curious???

For exactly the same reason that the EAST GERMAN STATE did produce those horrendous looking athletes 30/40 years ago that won Olympic and World Championships.
    Answer The Prestige of the State by the ruling class.

When the wall came down, then a little German Telephone Company employed these people in a cycle race team for publicity in the East of the new country and didn't they do well.
    It worked so well in Germany that the whole world now know and respect this company.
    Only a few of us remember how it was done. ie Olaf Ludwig, Bjarne Riis.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    dennisn wrote:
    So, working on my tan and / or blasting through the fresh, deep, powder snow is not something I'd go there for????

If you don't mind some seriously antique chairs you can ski in Kazakhstan

It's all pretty basic but when I skied there 10 years ago there were no queues and lots of powder :D
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Lets hope they can stump up some cash for some new kit.
    That wash out lot is washed up.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Interesting snippet from cyclismag suggesting that the guarantee was suspended when Gusev tested positive until such time as the there was a judgement in the case. The Kazakh Fed then had to sump up another guarantee. So, the money was there all the time...
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    micron wrote:
    Interesting snippet from cyclismag suggesting that the guarantee was suspended when Gusev tested positive until such time as the there was a judgement in the case. The Kazakh Fed then had to sump up another guarantee. So, the money was there all the time...

Am I missing something, when did Gusev test positive?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    dennisn wrote:
    Just what are the Kazakh government tourism offices trying to sell? Beaches??

No - the Borat Mankini!

borat.jpg
  • Kléber
    edited June 2009
    Talking of ugly clothing, the Astana team started today's Dauphiné stage in the normal kit, complete with visible sponsor names.

Poor Bruyneel looks a bit sheepish now, his plan to wrestle the licence away from the Kazakh government now has FAIL stamped all over it.

You heard it here first: Vinokourov will take over the team as their new DS for 2010.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    So, would that be an improvement or not ? :lol:
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,043
    Ahh....... the Siege of Astana is over.

The food parcels are getting through.

Vinokourov sits in his big, black, leather swivel chair.

Strokes the snow leopard.

Knocks back the vodka.

Presses the button of the intercom.

"Bring me Bruyneel.................alive".
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    dennisn wrote:

Kazakhstan is an important destination for alpinism and big-wall rockclimbing. Then again, Beth Rodden and her team were captured by rebels while climbing on the border between Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan in the early 2000's. They escaped after pushing some of their captors off a cliff.

So it's a place for quite the adventurous vacation, it seems.
  • Who might that American company be?
  • dennisn
    Pokerface wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Just what are the Kazakh government tourism offices trying to sell? Beaches??

No - the Borat Mankini!

borat.jpg

Nice. Not sure I see myself in one though. Not sure anyone else wants to either.
  • iainf72
    Still not fixed.

Astana could lose license if money doesn't arrive today

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show ... rance.html
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I love the irony of that title
    "Armstrong's team could lose licence..."

You've got to sympathise with the Kazakhs - they put money into this team for Vino, not for it to become Team America or Armstrong's team

The title should surely be,
    "if the Khazaks don't pay up, they'll lose their licence as well as their team to Armstrong and Bruyneel..."
  • dennisn
    Well, Astana is a sports team and like many teams you read about they all seem to have
    money, people, and organizational problems (did I mention money?). I'm sure no team in any sport is immune to any of this. Is there behind the scenes intrigue? Sure, all the time.
    It's exactly like any workplace. All kinds of things going on. Some good(mostly good you hope) and then money, people, and organizational problems come into play.
  • Kléber
    The UCI will meet on Thursday. If so far wages have been paid until the end of May and the bank guarantee replenished, there is nothing in place apparently to ensure the payment of wages until the end of the year and to satisfy the UCI that the team is financially sound. Unless more funds appear by Thursday, the deal is that the team will be stripped of its licence and there be ineligible to race.
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    The UCI will meet on Thursday. If so far wages have been paid until the end of May and the bank guarantee replenished, there is nothing in place apparently to ensure the payment of wages until the end of the year and to satisfy the UCI that the team is financially sound. Unless more funds appear by Thursday, the deal is that the team will be stripped of its licence and there be ineligible to race.

Maybe another stupid question, but why wouldn't the government cough up the money required to keep the team going? Seems almost like small change to this "oil rich country"
    that's looking to be "noticed" or whatever. It would seem to be pretty good exposure for the money. It's not like the team has a payroll like baseballs New York Yankees. Which
    probably comes close to the GNP of a few small countries.
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:
    Maybe another stupid question, but why wouldn't the government cough up the money required to keep the team going?

A number of reasons. The Kazak government are about as broke as the state of California at the moment. Also, Astana are supposed to be a glory vehicle for the Kazak riders but at the moment "Europeans and Americans" are trying to screw them over (in their opinion, YMMV)
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Maybe another stupid question, but why wouldn't the government cough up the money required to keep the team going?

A number of reasons. The Kazak government are about as broke as the state of California at the moment. Also, Astana are supposed to be a glory vehicle for the Kazak riders but at the moment "Europeans and Americans" are trying to screw them over (in their opinion, YMMV)

I thought they were described as "an oil rich country" earlier. Or was that when I looked them up on WIKI? I thought everyone who had oil had money. :wink:
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    micron, can you clarify when Gusev was tested positive as you stated earlier?
  • dennisn
    andyp wrote:

I like the use of the word "irregular". I must really be bad, as I was "irregular" for quite some time. This was before I learned that a bit of extra fiber in my diet might help.