Afan Trails

mda17879
mda17879 Posts: 4
edited June 2009 in Routes
Im after a bit of advice.

I've been riding about 6 months and loving it! I want to visit afan and just wanted to know which would be the best trail to do for a relative novice? I've got a good level of fitness so distance of ride isn't to much of a worry, but just don't want to get in to over my head and spoil the trip!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Schobiedoo
    Schobiedoo Posts: 121
    I'd say the Wall and/or Penhydd are the best ones to start with. Both leave from the Afan Forest Park Visitor Centre.

Penhydd was my favourite, there was nothing on there that was too technical, however the hidden valley section takes some nerves (big drop from the side of the trail) for a short section.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    tbh, if you're fit enough not to cough up a lung on a 5 k climb, then you'll not get out of your depth at Afan. The trails are pretty well designed and all can be ridden slowly, if you're lacking confidence. There is a black DH run that I've not ridden and that could be more of an issue but for the rest you'll be fine I'm sure. The best intro run I rekon is penrydd (sp?)

Most trails are 8-12km in length, except the Skyline which is 40+ so you're never far from home.

Just don't get carried away with your speed until you're comfortable with the trail and your ability to handle it, there are sections I recall where you can round pretty fast straight into rough stuff but all in all, they're pretty sympathetically designed trails.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • mda17879
    mda17879 Posts: 4
    Ok sounds good! Thanks very much for your advice guys!
  • silly lily
    silly lily Posts: 505
    .....a 5 k climb,quote]

Sorry, what's the point of (ever) doing one of these again?? (i.e without a break, walk, etc)
    My On One Inbred and Com Meta 5.5.1:
    http://silly-lily.pinkbike.com/album/My-MTB/

www.sophialibris.com
    Academic Coaching and Advising Consultancy
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'd leave White's Level alone till you've done Penhydd and the Wall. The black section is optional on White's but the boardwalk is difficult to avoid as are some of the drop offs on the descent.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    why not attempt the wall
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I have only done afan once, and got taken down the W2.

It was hairy in a few sections, but got there in the end, just take it slow.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I took two guys who'd never ridden Afan before (one who'd never seen a real hill - he's from the fens) and we did Penhydd on day one, and White's level on day 2. I think thats the best way to do it as although technically theres not much to choose other than the black DH bit on Whites, the Whites Level trail can be a bit daunting for novices straight off as it is alot of climbing in one go.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    Penhydd is a good trail for beginners, the first climb is not too bad... It's 5km and a lot of it is fireroad so it's nice and easy. I rode it singlespeed (34:15) last weekend, managed most but the last short rocky bit on the climbing side of things.

The Wall is also not too bad from what I remember, although it's been a few years since I last rode it.

Also bare in mind that White's Level start's with a 6km climb and it's all rooty, rocky, slippery technical singletrack. It's a lot more demanding than Penhydd as far as climbs go.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Penhydd is the one to go for if you are a novice, its great fun but there is nothing too hard. The wall is also good, although i feel its not as much fun as Pehydd, Whites is my favorite, but i would not recomend it for a begginer, its pretty tough. Skyline and W2 are for those with lungs of steel and technical ability flowing in their veins! Its all great! and you WILL enjoy yourself, just make sure you dont dive in out of your depth!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    The Whites level climb is just a sheeps track and pretty straight fwd.

The wall and and Penhydd use Fire track to climb so that can make them feel easier, Penhydd is the easier. and then i'd rank whites and the Wall close in terms of difculty. as whites is more rock technical but the Wal teaches you self control as its wildly faster than the other trails there. less sharp hard corners to control your own speed.

But as with any red trail's you can take them at your own speed :)
  • joshtp
    i would disagree, the technicality of whites climb makes it more tiring, and in my opinion it is harder than the wall in every way, but also faster and more fun.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Penhydd is a great fun trail, really rapid in places, if you're up for it, but not intimidating (apart from the steep drops off the side of the trail at the very top) so long as you treat it with respect - still one of my favourites!

Great to camp at the bottom & just ride straight out of the tent too.
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Thewaylander
    I ride Afan every weekend, and one thing all locals will agree is the Wall is by way the fastest.

With the climb i will defer after my experiences on the FTD trail at cannock i will accept alot of people are really not used to long climbs.

The wall and Penhidd have steeper climbs that whites but are on more open fire road, while whites in more shallow and 5-6k long. so is just spin happy.
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    i went to afan for the first time a couple of weeks ago with a couple of mates. the only trail we managed to do was whites level because of 40 hrs of non stop torrential rain. my mate done it on a specialized rockhopper which is stock except for discs, and hes only ridden trails a max of 10 times, and he was fine. came off a couple of times, but thats pretty standard for him, and one of his crashes was at the same place i came off, on a big wet slab of off camber rock. we both smoke and the climb was ok for us. not particularly tiring i wouldnt say, as its technical and quite slow, and we had a few rests. descents were pretty fast and rocky, but nothing bad enough to make you think "holy f**k!" didnt do the black run tho, as we didnt see it! just take it easy, and take your time on the climb as you dont want to be knackered for the descents!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • joshtp
    I ride Afan every weekend, and one thing all locals will agree is the Wall is by way the fastest.

With the climb i will defer after my experiences on the FTD trail at cannock i will accept alot of people are really not used to long climbs.

The wall and Penhidd have steeper climbs that whites but are on more open fire road, while whites in more shallow and 5-6k long. so is just spin happy.
    so do i (well not EVERY weekend as i dont have a car and even the 25 min drive is something to be begged from friends) anyway, iv ridden the wall many times and agree its a great trail, but i cannot think of any section that is faster than, say, Goodwood on whites, or genesis on phenhydd. I really cant! one thing i will agree on is that they are all awsome!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thewaylander
    The last section.. buggered if i can remember what its called- they changed alot of the names on the wall last year. Slaughters any section on any of the other trails for speed.. seriously if your not going so fast here that your brakes are almost on fire your not pushing it.

Penhydd sections are more twisty therefor slower. and the decents on whites are more rocky which helps control your speed(also the later decents are not that much down and are more pedally)
  • joshtp
    you mean zig-zag, i agree its fast, but isnt fun enough to inspire me to push it and really let go and go realy fast, something like deadsheep gully though, now there is a section on which i can fly! 8) :D i supose its down to personal pref, i also never ride with a speedo, so maybe zig-zag is fast, but i just dont feel it being as fast as other sections.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • matthew48a
    matthew48a Posts: 16
    Hi guys i been up to afan a few times, but i have been over the other side of the valley twice too but i have no idea what that place is called, any ideas?
  • tompjg
    tompjg Posts: 21
    Glwncorryg?
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    I'm not the fittest and I've just come back from Afan having done 'the Wall' and 'Penhydd' in 2 days. Both are do-able for anyone with a moderate level of fitness. I would suggest taking some mosquito repellant though - my brother and I look like we have measles on our legs we were bitten so much!

Both rides were good - Penhydd I found easier bar the hidden valley section (as someone said, the sideslope is pretty intimidating). If you are not that fit, I'd seriously consider just pushing your bike up the fireroad climbs. I completed it in about 2 hours. The Wall took longer but was just as good - I did it in about 3hrs 45mins. I accept that this was maybe a bit slow, but I did have a bad fall and 2 punctures (with stupidly hard to change DT rims).

Finally, if you are making a long journey you might want to consider some protection - arm/leg guards. I live in Birmingham and regularly ride Cannock, and I found both trails to be much tougher both in speed and surface (they are a lot more rocky). I never had a problem until the last run (zig-zag) of the first day when I fell (my arms are still suffering 3 days later). I was lucky not to have come off worse (incidentally the local A+E is very good - they saw me in 10 minutes from arrival!). I did manage to go riding again the next day but I'd have been gutted if I hadn't been able to... If you are making a long trip you may wish to minimise the risks of having to cut your break short through injury...
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    pretty much the same comments as others. I rode The Wall and Whites level while at Afan. Whites Level has a bit harder climb as its more technical and The Wall just has a big wide fire road. Im not used such big climbs and only have average fitness at best but managed the climbs ok with a few stops.

On the descents, I don't remember there being too many crazy technical bits. As long as you control your speed and don't go full speed into every thing, you should be fine. The trails are well designed and there isn't anything to catch you out. Some sections are made up of single track with the mountain wall on one side and a exposed drop on the other side so can be a bit scary, but you'll soon get used to it.

Go there and have fun, stop worrying :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have been to Afan a few times and ridden on the 'white's level' 'penhydd' 'the wall' and 'skyline' trails, I find 'penhydd' the most fun of all and it's a fave for me, I didnt think much of 'the wall' with too much fireroads at the start and the finish, I enjoy the 'white's level', it's a long climb at the start but the downhill sections at the end make up for it. 'skyline' is good if you are feeling fit and fancy an adventure ride, it took me just over 4 hours to complete it and you can feel knacked at the end but it's well worth it though.

Next time I visited Afan, I will pick 'white's level' and 'penhydd' trails as they are both fun to ride on.