Hamax Siesta or Plus

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
Any thoughts?

We have 14" and 19" frame Giant hybrid bicycles. Need to be able to switch seats between them, so need two mounts and one seat. For a 15kg 2-year-old.

We're riding off-road obviously not too rough with child on board.

Comments

• cycledad2
    cycledad2 Posts: 50
    thelawnet wrote:
    Any thoughts?

We have 14" and 19" frame Giant hybrid bicycles. Need to be able to switch seats between them, so need two mounts and one seat. For a 15kg 2-year-old.

I have a hamax plus. (check out my blog for more info). For what yoru after i cant see much in it. The hamax plus is designed to take extra luggage ie its good for utlity commuter types.

The hamax siesta is similar but isnt necessarily designed to take panniers. If your off-roader types sounds like you'd prefer the hamax siesta. Its cheaper and easier to fit as well.

One final note. My boys 2 and he's old enough to complain everytime we go over a pothole, if i was to take him off road..... Its not going to kill your 2 year old but they may not like it very much.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Hi, I have an Hamax Siesta, and my son is 3 and weighs 17kg.

I think up to 15kg they are fine, even off roading. I took my son single tracking a few times.

Now he weighs 17kg, the mount starts to slide left and right unless it is really tight on to the seat tube. But if you tighten the bolts too much, you will break the mount clips and that's £15 down the drain. I broke one.

For me it served the original purpose when my son was smaller, now I am looking at other options like the Hamax Plus. I usually take my son to school or childminder and then head off to work.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    cycledad2 wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:
    Any thoughts?

I have a hamax plus. (check out my blog for more info). For what yoru after i cant see much in it. The hamax plus is designed to take extra luggage ie its good for utlity commuter types.

The hamax siesta is similar but isnt necessarily designed to take panniers. If your off-roader types sounds like you'd prefer the hamax siesta. Its cheaper and easier to fit as well.

One final note. My boys 2 and he's old enough to complain everytime we go over a pothole, if i was to take him off road..... Its not going to kill your 2 year old but they may not like it very much.

Thanks, I read your blog already, very helpful. Bought the plus, basically because it seems more versatile, and the cost is fairly similar (£100 vs. £80). We did 12 miles on road (and pavement) yesterday.

We haven't really done any off-road yet, apart from a bit along the towpath. Turns out being able to get to school/swimming pool/park that bit quicker is quite useful.

She definitely moans about bumps though.Not sure if Siesta would be any better.

She fell asleep in it yesterday, I tried reclining it back, it did look a bit like it was hanging off the back tbh, so I was nervous about putting it back all the way, and she didn't stay asleep very long. A car seat is much more comfortable I think.

The taking off/putting on process is very easy. Fitting was not too bad, once I'd worked out to hold the nut with an adjustable wrench to stop it moving while I screwed in the screw. I did have to buy a new seat clamp with mounting points for the rack for my bike. Oh and stripped one of the hex bolts on my wife's bike (which is a 14" and fit no problems). I think the pricier racks are easier to fit and have quick release too.

The non-premium one just has straps and quick release, which is a rip-off really, for an extra £20. The premium one has a light and mini pump as well, but costs £50-£55, instead of £20 for the basic.

THese people have what sounds like a Premium for £40: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/hamax-pl ... 21549.html

but it's not described as such. £40 seems like a fair enough price to me. You could buy a similar rear light for £10 anyway.

One thing with the Plus is it doesn't actually seem very good at carrying luggage of itself. I guess I need to buy a pannier or something. £70 though, for two Hamax panniers? You could get an 80-litre backpack for that. I guess cycling stuff is just a rip-off.

E.g., Map holder:

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/D ... older.aspx

£11.50

Saw the same thing in poundland, at their usual price.

Do non-Hamax panniers work with the rack at all?
  • cycledad2
    cycledad2 Posts: 50
    You can fit panniers with a clip on fixing that are like the ortileb ones (rixen and summit...?) they would fit much better if you took a file to the hamax plus and filed some little slots for the panniers to go through, you would need to file out very much.
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    Just picked up 2 x Siesta's for £45 each from Decathlon.

Just have to wait for a bike now.
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Downwardi
    Fitted the Seat on my Hybrid - I will have to lower the seat on my bike a bit as it's my commute and i have spd's although I won't use these with kids.

It's a fair old weight with the eldest on the back (He is 15kg I reckon) and I was just wondering any tips ?

I think I will need a stand (Decathlon today as no-where else is open) so any idea's ??
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Downwardi
    Oh Sorry one more thing
    The Youngest is 9 months old.
    Can you get helmets for kids this young ??
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie