Cycling in the rain

cluke92
cluke92 Posts: 29
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Not really a question about riding, more about sorting the bike out after a ride in the rain. Went out for a ride earlier and got caught in a horrible storm.

I am a newbie and Im just wandering what are the places to watch out for when drying the bike off (and what is best to use,sorry if thats a silly question), and the places that are important to lubricate. Also can anyone recommend any lube, and also chain lube in specific. thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Spray all moving mechanical parts with WD40/GT85 when you get home. I hang my bike up to dry and then brush off any dry dirt with a soft brush before washing the bike down with hot soapy water. Relubing etc depends on how much contamination is on the drivetrain. Also don't forget the lower headset bearing.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • At the risk of sounding like a total FNG what is the lower headset bearing?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    It's at the junction of the bottom of the head tube and the crown of the fork,
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    cluke92 wrote:
    Not really a question about riding, more about sorting the bike out after a ride in the rain. Went out for a ride earlier and got caught in a horrible storm.

I am a newbie and Im just wandering what are the places to watch out for when drying the bike off (and what is best to use,sorry if thats a silly question), and the places that are important to lubricate. Also can anyone recommend any lube, and also chain lube in specific. thanks

I use Finish Line Cross Country - one of the best lubes, although the chain will gunk up a bit over time. In general - To clean your chain/cassette, use an old paint brush and some white spirit /degreaser - wipe and clean both your chain and cassette - when finished, use some water (I use spray-hose) just to clean the white spirit/degreaser off the chain/cassette - then, dry off - finally apply your chain lube to the chain and give it a quick flick through all gears (and over both chainrings).