Cheviot hills epics required with GSOH

busta gonad
busta gonad Posts: 162
edited June 2009 in Routes
Anyone have any advice on good long XC rides in these hills, with that little bit extra, recently sampled the Usway burn descent from Alwinton( huge cheesy grin on face).

Comments

• busta gonad
    busta gonad Posts: 162
    Bump! no one wish to share Cheviot experiences.

Well i went for a long ride yesterday, one of the epics in the Derek purdy book, Clennel street up to the boarder ridge then along the Salters track back to Alwinton, i have to admit i was a little disapointed, the BW at the begining of the Salters track has been totaly destroyed by Mx bikes and 4x4, rutted quagmire, at one stage i stepped on to what i thought was dry land and sank up to my waist in glutonous mud, not to to funny at the time but with hindsight, wood cutters were felling the trees there, seemingly they are putting in a new track, so fingers crossed. There really is a serious lack of any single track on the whole tour, with one ok decent to speak off, down the Dodd, clutching at straws really.
    For all the climbing there is very little in return, i think these old school bikers just revel in suffering, purdy's book is going in the bin!!, but then again the Usway burn was brill.
  • Hi, I have been up to alwinton today, rode into kidland, climbed up whiteburn shank (not nice!) then came down clennell st., had lunch at the car then did the alwinton short cut, up clennell st. down into the valley and back by clennell hall. Have done a fair number of Purdy rides over the years, some of them can be a nightmare in places! Haven't done the usway burn descent, was gonna head that way today, but the whiteburn shank climb killed me!!