Thermarest Chair kit

alp777
alp777 Posts: 211
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Off for 3 weeks touring soon and will be camping every night, thinking of using one of these http://www.facewest.co.uk/Thermarest-Trek-Chair.html to relax on after a long day in the saddle

Does anyone use one of these, are they any good?

Comments

• LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    yeah - they rule.

They come in 2 types - the light ones - and the delux ones, which have metal sticks in - probably get the ones without for taking on a bike
  • JHcp
    JHcp Posts: 144
    Can second that, makes sitting about at the campsite and in the tent much more comfortable. Worth the extra weight. :D
  • Flash 72
    Flash 72 Posts: 76
    I saw them at a good price on her http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Produ ... -Chair-20/
    If I only scrape a livin, at least it's living worth sraping for
  • Do they work on non-thermarest mats?

I don't see why not, can someone please confirm?
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    Do they work on non-thermarest mats?

I don't see why not, can someone please confirm?

That would depend upon the dimensions of the mat used. The Exped mat needs its own chair-kit.
  • Thanks,

Just looked up the exped ones and they seem to fold over the bottom half (more arse cushioning), whereas the thermarest ones don't look like they do. The exped ones are also quite a bit more expensive... comments?

chairkit340.jpg

compared to

trekkerchair20250.jpg
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    The Exped mats are usually thicker as a result of using air and down together. The chair-kit has to accomodate this. That said the Exped is more comfy and warmer, especially the 9cm one, and the chair-kit works well.
  • JHcp
    JHcp Posts: 144
    Thanks,

Just looked up the exped ones and they seem to fold over the bottom half (more ars* cushioning), whereas the thermarest ones don't look like they do. The exped ones are also quite a bit more expensive... comments?

The Thermarest ones do fold over the same as the Exped ones, although we use ours not folded over and there is plenty of cushioning for the old derriere !
  • alp777
    LittleB0b wrote:
    yeah - they rule.

They come in 2 types - the light ones - and the delux ones, which have metal sticks in - probably get the ones without for taking on a bike

I have bought the the lightest one that Thermarest do and that has metal sticks/poles in, i they think all do.

Do you fold the the bottom part of the matress so you have double the matress to sit on?
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    alp777 wrote:
    LittleB0b wrote:
    yeah - they rule.

I have bought the the lightest one that Thermarest do and that has metal sticks/poles in, i they think all do.

Do you fold the the bottom part of the matress so you have double the matress to sit on?

We have the smallest Thermarests and IIRC they have to be folded double to fit them in the chair frame. Brilliant things and well worth the weight on a long trip - especially for senior campers :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • alp777
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    LittleB0b wrote:
    yeah - they rule.

We have the smallest Thermarests and IIRC they have to be folded double to fit them in the chair frame. Brilliant things and well worth the weight on a long trip - especially for senior campers :)

Geoff

Thanks for the reply Geoff, i have the 3/4 mat and as you say i now realise the part you sit on needs to be folded double. :)