NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited June 2009 in The bottom bracket
Today was supposed to be my 1st club run.

I battled through the heavy rain, flooded roads, thunder and lightning.I was soaked through and sodding freezing and after a 2 hour journey (bike and Tube) I still ended up arriving on time.

So sitting in Great Missenden and NO other bugger turned up :shock:

I wonder if anyone turned up a little later??

Oh well i'll laugh at this next week :x

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Sorry to hear about that!

Not sure about the club you're talking about, but mine doesn't generally go on runs when the weather is this bad. But seriously, if the weather is as bad in London/Amersham as it is in Loughborough at the moment, then you're a right hardman for even going out!!!

Better luck next week
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    My first club run years ago was very similar - lashing down with rain, windy, and cold. I got there as an enthusiastic 18 year old, and only the guy who's name was down to lead the run turned up. He asked if I still wanted to go out - think he was secretly dissapointed when I said yes :lol:

After 1/2 hour the rain stopped and we had a decent ride, albeit cut short from the original plan.

I think it sucks that the leader of the run couldn't be bothered to show (assuming clubs still have run leaders). Isn't there a club closer to you though than one that needs a two hour journey before you start?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • NWLondoner
    The club i was supposed to try was Amersham Road Cycling Club.

Hopefully will be able to meet up next week :D
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear no one turned up. Where you at the Link road car park at 8.30am?
  • CondorWill
    CondorWill Posts: 26
    Hey,

I'm on of the Amersham riders, generally if it's that wet at 8 30 the club runs don't go ahead- much easier to train on your own in conditions like that........
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Are you kidding that you have to travel 2hrs to go to your 'local' club?! Can't you find one that is closer!

As for rain, I never ride in it if I don't have to - very unpleasant, kit/bike gets dirty, more dangerous and various parts of your bike wear out quicker. Most people are the same and so there are hardly going to be anyone out on a club ride.

Hopefully you can have a good club ride next weekend.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • NWLondoner
    Lysander wrote:
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear no one turned up. Where you at the Link road car park at 8.30am?

Yep, Link Road Car Park 8.30
  • NWLondoner
    Are you kidding that you have to travel 2hrs to go to your 'local' club?! Can't you find one that is closer!

There are more local clubs but none that appeal to me. Either they cater for a much older age group or much more focussed on Racing.

This club seem to cater for all abilities plus is located in an area that I actually want t ride in. The 2 hours isn't as bad as it sounds. Around an hour of that journey involved waiting for then catching the tube from Wembley Park to Chesham. With a short 20ish minute ride before Wembley and then from Chesham.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Not the ultimate disaster though, that would have happened if, after 2hrs of travel hell everyone had showed up and then they took off and dropped you after half an hour. :wink:
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • NWLondoner
    pedylan wrote:
    Not the ultimate disaster though, that would have happened if, after 2hrs of travel hell everyone had showed up and then they took off and dropped you after half an hour. :wink:

I was expecting that though :wink:
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    Two hours to get there and (presumably) two hours back - are you CRAZY ??
    My club meet 10 mins up the road but I still ride on my own cause I can leave at nine, do 50 odd and be back for middayish so the rest of the day is my own. I can't envisage 2hrs + 3hrs ride + 2 hrs - the days gone !! Anyway today I did a TT and only 6 turned up in bloomin cold (8deg) persistent rain (everyone else had more sense).
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    CondorWill wrote:
    Hey,

I'm on of the Amersham riders, generally if it's that wet at 8 30 the club runs don't go ahead- much easier to train on your own in conditions like that........

Lightweights :wink: The Archer RC club run went ahead despite of the thunderstorm and 30 metres visability
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    A bit of rain and they don't go? Nancy-boys! :wink:
    When I were a lad, the clubruns from Mansfield went in all weathers!
    9am outside "Cyril's", come rain, wind, shine, snow & hail. Sometimes all four simultaneously.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Congratulations to you guys :wink: I ride for joy and riding in the rain with poor visibility is not joyful so I don't ride, simple.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    Hello there, sorry to hear your disapointment, if things do not work out please feel free to come join our Sunday run form High Wycombe, always goes, rain or shine, broad mix of abilites and styles so I am sure you will fit in.

Run details at www.highwycombecc.org short (about half mile) down hill run from High Wycombe Train Station to the meeting point in the HIgh Street.

Hope to see you out with us one day.

F
    fay ce que voudres
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Safety also comes into play during bad weather. Low visibility, slick roads, things like that. Call me a sissy if you must but sometimes going out riding, in really bad conditions,
    simply because your training schedule says you should or it's a "club run" or you're doing it just to say you "did it", can be a recipe for disaster. Getting hit by a car can ruin your whole day. :wink:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Wussies, thats all there is to it, in york the club run goes out no matter what!

No amount of rain should stop a club run unless the road is flooded, just got to take it easy round corners that is all.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    freehub wrote:
    Wussies, thats all there is to it, in york the club run goes out no matter what!

No amount of rain should stop a club run unless the road is flooded, just got to take it easy round corners that is all.

How about a bit of lightning? No matter what? Don't you think that sounds, just a little bit,
    foolish? Maybe just a little? Ah, but what the hell, you're all "hard men" who sneer in the face of death. Me, I'm just another girlie man. :wink::wink: :roll:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    In the UK we dont tend to get lightning that lasts all day constantly for hours.

Admittedly if we where in the middle of no where and it started thundering we'd just engage our portable transporters..
  • jcandy31
    jcandy31 Posts: 1
    NWLondoner - Sorry to hear no-one was there. It's very unusual that no-one turns out, even in the heaviest rain and I agree with some of the comments on here that the ride leader should show up whatever the weather.

Because our members are generally people who ride for fun or for the social aspect of the club most don't have much reason to turn out in wet conditions - it's not fun or sociable! Normally a few of the hard riders are out rain or shine but I have to admit that I looked out the window and opted to save my riding for the afternoon - I spend enough time riding in the rain without spending 4 hours of my Sunday morning behind someone riding without mudguards.

My apologies on behalf of the club - we hope you'll come back next week when it will, hopefully, be drier.

Andrew
    Chairman - ARCC
  • NWLondoner
    Thanks for all your replies

Yes, Andrew I will be back. I should be there for your Saturday ride this weekend. Just lookout for the guy on the Planet X with the pasty white legs :oops: I desperately need some sun to tan them

I see i have sparked a thread about this on your website forum.

Just to clear up an issue. I did inform AJ that i would be trying the club out on Sunday and i thought that if i did not turn up it would show that i had no commitment.

In NO way does this put me off about joining your club.

No hard feelings whatsoever
  • From an ARCC rider:

Some of us ride in the rain (but don't enjoy it) - sorry to have missed you was having a fun time on the 126m Highclere Magnificat - roads were awash with mud and flints never seen so many punctures on a sportive.

(BTW If you are coming to the Chilterns it is also worth having decent hardy tyres on as some of the roads can be a bit "lumpy" in places)
  • Rubic
    Rubic Posts: 3
    Hi

Myself and my other half were going to have our first club ride with ARCC last Sunday.

But we saw the rain, thunder and lightening and choose to go out in the afternoon on the mountain bikes instead......even then we got caught in a couple of heavy showers and had to battle with the odd flooded road and loads of git all over the place, so quite glad we did not venture out on the road bikes.

Hope the sun is out for next Sunday morning and we will give it another go!

Alan
  • NWLondoner
    From an ARCC rider:

Some of us ride in the rain (but don't enjoy it) - sorry to have missed you was having a fun time on the 126m Highclere Magnificat - roads were awash with mud and flints never seen so many punctures on a sportive.

(BTW If you are coming to the Chilterns it is also worth having decent hardy tyres on as some of the roads can be a bit "lumpy" in places)

I use michelin krylion carbon. What do you use??
  • Gatorskins - and pleased to say they didn't let me down on the Magnificat.
    + always worth digging those cheeky flints that are lodged in and working their way towards your tube after each ride.