my sh*ty bike, please don't laugh

jay12
jay12 Posts: 6,306
edited August 2009 in Your mountain bikes
it's a 04 raleigh alona worth £499 which i bought for £75 but all the upgrades cost me about £100. the frame is too big for me but i have to live with that. it has no front mech for a reason(the space to put it in is too small even my trusty lbs said) now you can see why i really want a orange crush. it has a deore lx rear mech, some clarks hydraulic breaks, i have also upgraded to teflon cables for the back gears it weighs an awful lot but i think it's good training
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayapanaspics/ check out my other photos including my brothers roadie

Comments

• Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    nothing wrong with it just ride it and have fun
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    We've all got to start somewhere.

My first MTB was a Raleigh, exactly the same as this Raleigh Apex:

3602847385_32d839005b.jpg

It had this weird "suspension stem" - I've forgotten what it was called now - maybe a Girvin stem. EDIT I think it was a Girvin Flexstem - anyone remember them?

Had this for around 2 years before i got my first GT Zaskar
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Mate the point is you've got a bike and getting out on it...Go enjoy yourself, thats what its all about, regardless of what you're riding, Have fun ! :D
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • drumon
    drumon Posts: 175
    Zaskar20 wrote:

It had this weird "suspension stem" - I've forgotten what it was called now - maybe a Girvin stem. EDIT I think it was a Girvin Flexstem - anyone remember them?

Got a "kalloy" suspension stem on my mtb from 96! Probably copying Girvin. Fun thing to bump the kerbs with! Am enjoying riding it now and again instead of my stiff hardtail.
  • Dowse40
    Dowse40 Posts: 102
    Allreet kidda?

The hoond is aroond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Jeast
    Jeast Posts: 176
    Zaskar20 wrote:

Old thread I know, but just wanted to say...my first mtb was also a Raleigh Apex, complete with the legendary Girvin Flexstem!!! Infact, I still have it, it's rusting away in my garage!!!
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Zaskar20 wrote:
    We've all got to start somewhere.

3602847385_32d839005b.jpg

Yep I remember them. I had one too. Before that I had a Raleigh Massif. Weighed an absolute ton!
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    my first "proper" bike was a raigh mustang :lol: i was only 7 lol

1427134-788m.jpg

then i got into bmx for abit, before coming back to mountain bikes with a claud butler cape wrath

CB-CapeWrathDD.jpg

doesnt matter how sh!t it is get out and ride it kid .... mind you i think the orangemay abit too much bike for just yet :P