Sore Knees on the Road Bike?

Richard-Dublin
Richard-Dublin Posts: 99
I've started riding a road bike occasionally as a "change" from the MTB but I'm finding it very hard on my knees - anyone got any thoughts why this might be?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Check saddle psotion and cleats on the pedals.
  • maser
    maser Posts: 17
    i also get sore knees after 2-3 hours of cycling, what do you have check/adjust regarding seat and cleats on pedals

thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are adjustments you can make: if the OP has a nice set up on the MTB he may be able to replicate it on the roadie.
  • its a road bike ! nuff said
    Ride it like you Stole it !

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1117150/
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I've started riding a road bike occasionally as a "change" from the MTB but I'm finding it very hard on my knees - anyone got any thoughts why this might be?

I got a road bike recently (like you for a change!) and to be honest it's bloody uncomfortable!! The saddle hurts, it makes my knees hurt and my neck ache, and every tiny bump in the road feels like the bike is falling apart!! I'm told that pretty much this is just the way it is....!!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Klein XC
    Klein XC Posts: 35
    sarah75 wrote:

I got a road bike recently (like you for a change!) and to be honest it's bloody uncomfortable!! The saddle hurts, it makes my knees hurt and my neck ache, and every tiny bump in the road feels like the bike is falling apart!! I'm told that pretty much this is just the way it is....!!!

It may sound obvious, but you should check and adjust your saddle position, and if that doesn't help, change the saddle. Incorrect saddle alignment (and / or a badly fitting saddle) is often responsible for most of the aches you get on a bike.

There are a few tips on this website, you may be able to find some useful diagrams online as well:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/cycling/bikesetup.htm
    "Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." Spike Milligan.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    sarah75 wrote:

Hmm it's not, I do pretty equal amounts of MTB and road riding and I only get sore knees doing either if I overdo it (sudden increase in distance or do a lot of steep climbing on a ride etc.), I don't get neck ache on either (unless it's over 4 or 5 hours) and apart from the obvious pot holes the road bike isn't noticeably bumpy/uncomfortable to ride.

It's key to get your position right on a road bike (you spend a lot more time in the saddle in a static position), also helps to find a saddle that works for you (look for an LBS that has demo saddles) and consider a bike with more relaxed geometry (and carbon over aluminium) to add comfort.
  • I've checked my saddle and it is a little bit higher than on my MTBs but only by about 5mm or so! Fore and aft seems to be pretty much the same!
    I do notice that when I'm on the road bike I tend to push much bigger gears than on the MTB so I'm guessing that's putting more pressure on my knees? I've also being riding the road bike "as well as" as opposed to "instead of" so maybe I'm overdoing it a bit?