Stem length

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
From what 'point to point' do you measure stem length and how do you determine what length you need.

When on the hoods I can see in front of the hubs on the Kuota. When riding the drops my vision is perfectly in line with the hub. However, while riding in both positions I find that my shoulders are naturally pushing upwards towards my neck, after a while this becomes uncomfortable. Is this because of the stem length, the bar height or the bar width?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    From the centre of the bar to the centre of the steerer tube.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO - Give yourself a bike fit.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    that's a good point old bean, the line of sight method does work however I found as my lower back became more used to long and hilly rides I can now stretch out more and in fact naturally do, prompting me to fit longer stems to my road bikes, it took a little getting used to but does feel more comfy, I also upped my seat post an inch or two gradually of course.

I also now find my elbows bend a lot more kinda like an aero TT position, once in this position I alternately relax my leg muscle and try to cycle smoothly as I would on the SS, when I get it right I can motor along well in the 20s with very little effort.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    Thanks whyamihere.

@ITB. The SCR has spoiled my expectations of a road bike. The SCR is too big for me and as a result I have gotten used to having a stretched out riding position. I do prefer the ride of the Kuota its just I need overcome the shoulder thing and am not sure if its lengthening the stem or lowering the bar height.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    www.cyclefit.co.uk

(or similar)

Make an appointment.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Roastiecp wrote:
    www.cyclefit.co.uk

(or similar)

Make an appointment.

Paint me cynical, but doesn't the typical cyclefit fitting go as follows:

"dum-de-dum [measure] dum-de-dah [measure]"

[consult chart]

[suck teeth]

"Well [sir/madam], it looks like you *need* a custom frame. You simply can't be fitted to an off-the-shelf road frame - can't be done.

Now, step this way, and we'll show you the prices for a Serotta. You might want to remove your arm and your leg on the way. Yes, that's it. Wasn't so painful, now, was it?" :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    It's worth getting fitted professionally. The other thing to remember is that stem length can have a pronounced effect on the handling of a bike. When you bought the Kuota did the shop not do a fitting session with you? When I bought my Pinarello we did a lot of measuring, tweaking etc etc, very worthwhile. You need to get some longer rides under your belt as well. What might be comfy for a few laps of RP might not be comfy for 50+miles. It can be a pain to find that sweet spot but you'll get there with perseverance!

Oh and as I said the other day I have a brand new DEDA Zero 100 stem (110 mm) if you want it.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited June 2009
    @Jash: The Kuota fitted fine when I tried it in the shop. Though we didn't measure my dimensions. Got a longish ride (30miles) planned next week with a guy from work. but you are right I do need to put miles into the Kuota.
    Oh and as I said the other day I have a brand new DEDA Zero 100 stem (110 mm) if you want it.

How much?
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    £40 new, yours for £20.
  • DonDaddyD
    £40 new, yours for £20.

As long as it fits the bars/steerer done and done.
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    It's worth getting fitted professionally. The other thing to remember is that stem length can have a pronounced effect on the handling of a bike. When you bought the Kuota did the shop not do a fitting session with you? When I bought my Pinarello we did a lot of measuring, tweaking etc etc, very worthwhile. You need to get some longer rides under your belt as well. What might be comfy for a few laps of RP might not be comfy for 50+miles. It can be a pain to find that sweet spot but you'll get there with perseverance!

If he does want the stem I might be interested It would go with my almost all Deda TT build ATM it has a FSA stem which is wrong, it's the component equivalent of Attica :P
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    edited June 2009
    Greg66 wrote:
    Roastiecp wrote:
    www.cyclefit.co.uk

(or similar)

Make an appointment.

[consult chart]

[suck teeth]

"Well [sir/madam], it looks like you *need* a custom frame. You simply can't be fitted to an off-the-shelf road frame - can't be done.

Now, step this way, and we'll show you the prices for a Serotta. You might want to remove your arm and your leg on the way. Yes, that's it. Wasn't so painful, now, was it?" :wink:
    That was what I thought until I decided to give it a bash.

I'd never been 100% happy with my frames' reach despite following guidance in books and online and LBS ... Figured I was about to shell big dosh on a new bike - I should get it right.

Yeah, there was the usual measuring, including measuring range of movement/flexibility, knee rotation and a bunch of other physical things. This got to a basic fit which was then applied to an adjustable rig (fitted with my saddle, appropriate bars and brake levers and the correct pedals) with measurements of power output (each leg individualy) and also allowed certain dynamic measurements to be taken (like knee trajectory). This fine tuned the fit to my pedalling style and other biomechanical idiosyncrasies of my body.

All this went through a few iterations to get to the final set-up.

Apart from mutual appreciation of the product, no suggestions were made of Serotta custom frames (how I want an HSG) - but I was given and guided through all the info I needed to select the right bits for- and set-up the bike I was going to buy (which in the end was a Ribble). Of course, there are one or two measurements that I couldn't get exactly millimetre perfect, but they are near as dammit.

The result has been a revelation. Every time I hop onto my race bike, it feels like putting on a bespoke tailored suit. No bike has ever felt as good. I am very glad I gave it a bash, because it was well, well worth it.

So, unsurprisingly, I am a professional bike fitting convert. As for Cyclefit specifically, very professional, very helpful, very thorough, good value for money.

I have also heard good things about AW Cycles fit service - I argued many times with their sales guys on the virtues of bike fitting (and I guess in a sense it was the AW guys who convinced me to try it out).

I'd better get back to work.
  • @G66

You'd think so wouldn't you but no, its not like that at all. I went for a fitting, it took about 2.5 hours. They measure flexibility in all major cycle associated muscle groups, video your pedal stroke, all sorts. In the end I bought a pair of footbeds for my shoes to neutralise something or other (not sure what, he was taking in biomechanic-ish, I only speak pub-ish)
    they re-set up my bike with spacers and slight rise on my stem. Lifted £300.00 from my wallet and hey-presto, all back and shoulder pain disappeared. It's expensive but I'd say worth it. They also give you a set up guide so you can fit yourself to any other bike you might buy in the future.
  • il_principe
    Roastiecp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Roastiecp wrote:
    www.cyclefit.co.uk

(or similar)

Make an appointment.

[consult chart]

[suck teeth]

That was what I thought until I decided to give it a bash.

I'd never been 100% happy with my frames' reach despite following guidance in books and online and LBS ... Figured I was about to shell big dosh on a new bike - I should get it right.

Yeah, there was the usual measuring, including measuring range of movement/flexibility, knee rotation and a bunch of other physical things. This got to a basic fit which was then applied to an adjustable rig (fitted with my saddle and appropriate bars and brake levers) with measurements of power output (each leg individualy) and also allowed certain dynamic measurements to be taken (like knee trajectory). This fine tuned the fit to my pedalling style and other biomechanical idiosyncrasies of my body.

All this went through a few iterations to get to the final set-up.

Apart from mutual appreciation of the product, no suggestions were made of Serotta custom frames (how I want an HSG) - but I was given and guided through all the info I needed to select the right bits for- and set-up the bike I was going to buy (which in the end was a Ribble). Of course, there are one or two measurements that I couldn't get exactly millimetre perfect, but they are near as dammit.

The result has been a revelation. Every time I hop onto my race bike, it feels like putting on a bespoke tailored suit. No bike has ever felt as good. I am very glad I gave it a bash, because it was well, well worth it.

So, unsurprisingly, I am a professional bike fitting convert. As for Cyclefit specifically, very professional, very helpful, very thorough, good value for money.

I have also heard good things about AW Cycles fit service - I argued many times with their sales guys on the virtues of bike fitting (and I guess in a sense it was the AW guys who convinced me to try it out).

I'd better get back to work.

+1 for Cyclefit. Used them a few years back and they were excellent. Gave some great tips/advice that have served me well. Plus I love the custom footbeds they made up for me.
  • itboffin
    @jash they spent hours touching you up then popped into the back and grabbed a couple of schol arch supports and sent you on your way :lol:

Oooh! suits you sir!