Savage hill in Ramsbottom

volvine
volvine Posts: 409
Has anyone riden up the very steep hill in Ramsbottom think it is called cannon st or something but it says it is 25% gradient and it is from the bottom to the pub the (shoulder of mutton) it is 0.6 miles long it looks awesome????????. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Comments

• suze
    suze Posts: 302
    Think its locally known as the "Rake" used for hill climbs.....

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :oops:
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    It is called Ramsbottom Rake and there is a hill climb up there every year - see Google results.

I've been up it with mountain bike gears and even that was pretty hard.

I went to watch the national hill climb championships on it in 1999 - great fun watching riders struggling up it massively overgeared and weaving all over the road. I can see why the top riders go up on fixed wheel bikes but why do the weaker riders try and copy them? They'd get up much faster if they used gears that let them go up in a straight line rather than having to zigzag all over the place... :wink:
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Here you go:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=55396

It's called the Rake after the middle, brutal bit, "Rawson's Rake". It's even pretty hard to walk up.

There's two steep sections (the second one is the worst) with a slight "recovery" opportunity along Tanner Street in the middle.

The official time trial course starts at one of the lampposts at the bottom, near the library. But just start at the crossroads and you'll be fine. Freewheel back down afterwards and have £10 afternoon tea (sandwiches, crisps, drink, cakes and "fancies") at the chocolate cafe.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    looks fun, if just for the name!
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    i just knew it had to be well known i think i will wait till i have put my compact on before i attempt it not far from me in Norden over Owd Betts and drop into Rammy and have a go at it nice deserved pint of guiness in the shoulder of mutton (if i make it) big IF lol :lol::lol:

is there a hill competition comming up later in the year anyone know??????
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    ColinJ wrote:
    It is called Ramsbottom Rake and there is a hill climb up there every year -

nearly http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... ycle_race/

:)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.