Slick Tyres - Will they fit my GT Avalance 3.0

a17vts
a17vts Posts: 90
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Well I'm doing the L2B bike ride in just over a few weeks so my kind partner went and got me a set of slick tyres from Decathlon as a purprise!

I'm riding a GT Avalance 3.0 Disc 2008 which as standard runs tyres which are 26 x 2.1 IIRC the road tyres I have got are 26 x 1.5 and what I need to know is will these fit my bike or do I need wider tyres?

Any help would be great.

Tom

Comments

• Big Shoes
    Big Shoes Posts: 131
    They will fit, and i am doing the L2B also on a GT Avalanche 3 8) but with 26 x 1.95 semi slicks on.
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4
  • a17vts
    Perfect, thanks for the quick response.

If I'm honest I also wanted wider tyres but the thinner the better I guess.

Good luck by the way Big Shoes hows your training going?!
  • GT-Dave
    GT-Dave Posts: 1,441
    I have done similar chaaaridy rides on my Avalanche Pro with:

(On road)
    Conti City Contacts, in a nice phat 2.1.
    They ran superbly, and are uber puncture resistant.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18824

(Off road)
    Maxxis High Roller Semi Slick 3.35.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5846
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Might want to get some 1.5 Inch tubes as well.
  • a17vts
    GT Dave - I like the look of that road tyre you said but there are all out of stock plus I think what I have is suitable for what I need so I think I'll be ok, touch wood!

regarding the tubes I got some new tube which show it fits from 1.5 - 2.1 I assume this will be ok for the slicks I have?

Sorry for all the stupid questions I'm really not all that good on this!
  • Big Shoes
    Big Shoes Posts: 131
    a17vts wrote:
    Perfect, thanks for the quick response.

If I'm honest I also wanted wider tyres but the thinner the better I guess.

Good luck by the way Big Shoes hows your training going?!

errrr, its going ok, ish. Trying to get out once a week at the moment, the wife is expexcting our first child in 5 weeks, so i am getting out when i can, in between decorating, work, and looking after her.
    Doing about 20 miles every sunday, steady pace usually takes about 1hour 20 mins.
    I am doing the L2B just for fun as i have always wanted to do it, not trying to race, just enjoy it.
    How is your training going?
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4
  • a17vts
    Big Shoes wrote:
    errrr, its going ok, ish. Trying to get out once a week at the moment, the wife is expexcting our first child in 5 weeks, so i am getting out when i can, in between decorating, work, and looking after her.
    Doing about 20 miles every sunday, steady pace usually takes about 1hour 20 mins.
    I am doing the L2B just for fun as i have always wanted to do it, not trying to race, just enjoy it.
    How is your training going?

Mine is going ok although like you I have a lot going on I started two new business within the last year plus I have an a job so things are always busy. I like you go out once a weekend for about 3-4 hours, haven't got a clue how many miles I do but 90% of it is off road and then I know I do at least 14 miles to get to the place I ride and back.

I try and go out 3 times a week but to be honest I've only been out once this week and only two times last week.

Good Luck on the day.
  • Hi guys - I'm doing the Capital to Coast the weekend after the L2B - 60 miles. I've been supplementing my 'on the real bike' training with static bike training in the gym. Not the same, but it has its uses.

Best of luck with your training and on the day itself. I live in Brighton and our flat looks out onto the route, right near the end - so we'll be cheering you on :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • a17vts
    I know what you mean about using the gym to supplement the "real" training, I wish I even had time to do that! I'm a member of my local gym and I can count on one hand how many times I have been to the gym in the last 6 months!

Good luck on your ride, I'm also thinking about competing in the london-to-Southend bike ride as well.

W will see!