Poorly assembled bike

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
I've just received a bike in a box, have put it together (no instructions with it, it says in the manual they should be supplied assembled by the shop), but haven't really managed to work out the brake assembly (front, the rear brakes were already on), they are v-brakes and don't seem to be at the right angle.

I'm going to take it to a shop, any idea how much I should pay to get them to have a look at it and align the brakes properly?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Lol whatever they feel like.

it is not a hard job but if they are any good they may be very busy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thomasali
    thomasali Posts: 179
    Depends on what bike it is. If its a catalogue bike many places will not build it for you. If its something decent expect to pay for at least a basic service around £30+. When I worked in Halfords I would charge £50 just to either a) teach them a lesson - buy a bike from a shop or b) get them to return the bike and buy one from us! Makes me laugh that people think its "common sense" or "not rocket science" to build a bike, yes the same could be said of doing/building/adjusting many different non bike things too. But if you can't adjust brakes or true wheels (or don't have the tools) building a bike may as well be "rocket science" Also makes me wonder just how many bikes are riding about with loose spokes, rubbing brakes etc.....
  • thelawnet
    It's a Giant Sedona DX. I had to buy an old model for my wife as the local shop (where I bought mine) said the current (2009) model is out of stock in her size (XS).

The man on the phone insisted it would take five minutes. It took rather longer.... I should have called up a couple of shops for a quote to put it together for me still in the box, but hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

(They also overcharged me and didn't send what they should, but that's another story.)

Wouldn't take it to Halfords though, they've not got the best reputation have they.....
  • Grimy
    Grimy Posts: 111
    I'm sure any bike shop would be more than happy to check the bike over and set the brakes up for you. I Highly doubt any of them are all that busy at the minute and can afford to send people away. I'd have thought an hours labour would more than cover all the work you want doing and give them time to check over everything.

If you post your location, somebody local may be able to meet up and help you out! :wink:
  • thelawnet
    I'm in Woking.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could spend a tenner on a bike maintenence book and learn how to do everything yourself, I'm a competant mechanic on cars, but hadn't touched bikes for 20 years, I'm riding a bike built from a bare frame up using bits blagged/bought/swapped and had to learn everything, total build probably took 5-6 hours, more time spent witing for bits than fitting!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could spend a tenner on a bike maintenence book and learn how to do everything yourself, I'm a competant mechanic on cars, but hadn't touched bikes for 20 years, I'm riding a bike built from a bare frame up using bits blagged/bought/swapped and had to learn everything, total build probably took 5-6 hours, more time spent witing for bits than fitting!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • A book is good advice. I can do a chunk of stuff, having just looked at shiny pictures - and my bikes are still in one piece...
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • alexh1981
    alexh1981 Posts: 34
    I`m with simon, i`m happy enough with cars and bikes seem easy in comparison as i did a frame up build within about 8 hours. Although i did have to get a BB removed and a wheel true'd at my local shop.

The different might be having good tools though- never understimate how having the 'right' tools makes jobs so much easier. I didnt have the right tools for a BB (thats if chisel and lump hammer are not included :lol: )
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Can you post a picture of your faulty brakes? It may be there's nothing wrong with them.
  • Phicon
    Phicon Posts: 29

That was exactly what i was looking for " noobtube" :) thx, frame arriving next week for my first frame up build, no idea...
    current whips
    ** Ibis Mojo sl ** Giant XTC **
    ex bikes
    **Trek Top Fuel 9.9SSL** Trek Fuel Ex 8 ** Scott Genius LTD **