July sportives?

jam1e
jam1e Posts: 1,068
Can anyone suggest a decent sportive for a first-timer? I reckon 50 miles would be doable fairly easily so something around that distance would be spot on. I'd prefer something in July/Aug and somewhere in the north is possible.

Cheers all!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Dave Lloyd mini mega Challenge
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The NapoleonD recovery special - date TBA. Be about 60ish.

Failing that, the full length Dave Lloyd Mini Mega Challenge.
  • jam1e
    Done. TBH it's probably a bit more than I was aiming for but I'm sure I'll be fine :D

Do the sportident guys send me my key thing or do I collect it on the day?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jam1e wrote:
    Done. TBH it's probably a bit more than I was aiming for but I'm sure I'll be fine :D

DLMC mini is still a severe challenge...it has the climbs of the Shelf/Horseshoe/Worlds End/Moel Arthur back to back and finishing with Penbarras...many I spoke with reckon that the Mini DLMC was way tougher than the full length Dragon Ride....and remember last year that around 60% of the guys who had signed uo for the full route ended up doing the Mini due to the severity.....don't know the guys level but I hope the difficulty of this event doesnt deter from future events....there was also a smaller version of the 3 Counties Challenge and the White Rose Classic in June...which would be less severe....the DLMC is a great event....but it really is a MEGA challenge....
  • jam1e
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    jam1e wrote:

DLMC mini is still a severe challenge...it has the climbs of the Shelf/Horseshoe/Worlds End/Moel Arthur back to back and finishing with Penbarras...many I spoke with reckon that the Mini DLMC was way tougher than the full length Dragon Ride....and remember last year that around 60% of the guys who had signed uo for the full route ended up doing the Mini due to the severity.....don't know the guys level but I hope the difficulty of this event doesnt deter from future events....there was also a smaller version of the 3 Counties Challenge and the White Rose Classic in June...which would be less severe....the DLMC is a great event....but it really is a MEGA challenge....

Arse. :shock:

You could have said it'll be a nice cruise through Wales, I've already entered so it's too late for the truth!

Looks like I'll be having a minor but unfixable mechanical at some point then! TBH I reckon I'll grind it out but it won't be fast or pretty. Gives me a target for next year as well :wink:
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    The BIG G sportive at Beverley near HUll. 3 choices of routes. I'm riding the 100km(62m) route.

July the 25th.

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/C ... index.aspx

Cheers
  • Scott08
    Scott08 Posts: 21
    What a freaky coincidence. I work sometimes in mid Wales so had the chance yesterday evening to ride the 50 mile route of the Devil Ride. I will do the full 100 miler on 12th July but only had 3 hours of good daylight last night. If not too late to enter I would recommend the shorter Devil Ride as it was lovely. The 50 miler is not super tough and doesn't claim to be. The full route is much harder with way more ascent per mile but the 50 miler is a very good intro to sportiving as it is still hilly enough to feel good about finishing and the scenery is ace with top views all round and hardly any cars.
    I did the long route last year on a totally different route to the one they have devised this time round and think both the ride and setup look even better now. The new location for the HQ is wonderful. Not a word I use lightly. It was my fave last year and should be even better this year!
    The url you need is http://www.cyclosportives.co.uk/devilHome.htm
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Depends where you live, and this really isn't a true sportive but 12th July is Manchester to Blackpool. its 60 miles, flat and busy with lots of people riding on all different types of bikes - it would be a good way to ease yourself in. Its run by bike events
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    mini mega challenge?

what kind of linguistic fouling is that?

does it just mean challenge?
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...