Finishline Teflon Plus Dry Lube

dilemna
dilemna Posts: 2,187
edited June 2009 in The workshop
What do peeps who use Finish Line Red Teflon Plus Dry lube think of it? I've tried a few lubes now but not this stuff yet. It does seem a bit pricey at approx £6.99 for 100ml /4oz. How frequently do you have to re-lube, obviously it depends on how many miles you do, and how easily is it washed off in damp/wet conditions?
Is the same but Wet lube any good in dry or wet conditions?

Any thoughts gratefully received.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
Think how stupid the average person is.......
half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I now use Prolink Progold after trying most of the rest and it is the best IMHO. It is very clean yet stays put in the wet without being filthy. I needed to relube only about once a week during winter commuting. Best of both worlds for all year round use. Costs around £4.50 a go for 4oz, though I bought a 16oz bottle after establishing it was the best.
  • dilemna
    Thanks alfablue. Ad says it "Contains no solids like teflon, wax, moly, graphite or plastic" so what does it contain? The blurb on the bottle says "special MFR formula see rear for details" :oops: . Any chance you could look on your container?

Have yourtried the Finish Line Teflon Plus dry lube? If it's like Clean Ride White Lightning which I know is wax based I'm not interested as CRWL didn't work for me, well my chain and transmission that is (road bike use).
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    I've used it for about a year or so. To be fair it is the only one I've used, tried it, liked it, and stuck with it.

£7 seems a bit steep for 4 oz, my lbs is under a fiver for the same size.

I also was lunbricating and cleaning every week during the winter, no problems.

I am happy with it, although I can't say it's better than anything else.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think I have used it, I have tried most of the mainstream brands. I am not that keen on dry lubes, especially wax based ones either. The Finish Line site says "DRY Lube made with Teflon® fluoropolymer
    The industry’s original “dry” lubricant. Finish Line DRY Lube goes on wet, but then sets up in a dry, ‘paste-like’ film"

The Prolink Progold info can be found here: http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html

The "MFR" technology thing, just their USP, but hilariously it stands for "Metal Friction Reducer" :lol: There is no extra info on the bottle.

Despite the BS (their all at it), I find it keeps the drive train noticeably quieter, and it copes with all year round conditions. It is very thin and a little goes a long way without building up into a black gloopy mess. It keeps the chain clean, but not as clean as the wax types, but then I don't think they lube so well.
  • I've tried one of the Finish Line standard chain lubes, but wasn't that impressed.

Then tried some of the rock'n'roll chain lube (purple stuff, looked waxy based to me) that was actually not too bad. Next up was the White Lightening summer one (wax based) - it was OK if the chain stayed dry, but slightest hint of rain and the chain would start rusting if left wet.... no good for English summers as far as I am concerned!

I finally settled on the White Lightning wet ride, which is aimed more at winter riding. Can be a bit gloopy when you put it on, but if you follow the instructions and wipe the chain really well after applying it seems to work a treat. Not much gunk build up and the chain stays clean and shifting is smooth.

For reference I normally clean and re-lube my chain about once every 2 weeks, and cycle about 120 miles a week in central London. During the worst winter months or if things get particularly wet I will clean the chain every week.
  • dilemna
    Thanks to everyone for your observations. I'm now no nearer to making up my mind. At the mo as it has been hot and dry I've been using GT 85 on my commuter road bike as the CRWL bottle is now empty and I won't be buying that again as not that impressed. Maybe the wet lube version will be better or maybe the Prolink lube? But £6.99 is too much for a 100ml/4oz bottle. I would rather stick with GT85 at £2.50 a can and whip the chain off once a week clean and re-apply fresh.

Hmmmm......choice of lube is not easy. Is there a Castrol Magnatec but as a gear oil for bicycle chains if indeed Magnatec is magnetic? That would be ideal :D .
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    GT85 is not a chain lube - it is great for calipers, mechs, brake levers, etc. but no suitable for chains.

FWIW I use Finish Line Wet Lube on the commuter and White Lightening Dry Lube on the road bike. Very happy with the performance of both.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I use both the dry and wet Finish Line stuff. In fact, it's my preferred lube (though I have recently got a bottle of Progold to see what the fuss is all about).

The dry stuff I use on the good bike, which rarely sees the rain. One ride in the wet and you'll need to re-apply. It does keep the chain clean though, and lasts a while (weeks between applications) as long as you're not out in the wet.

The wet stuff is used on my fixed gear because it's nice and gloopy and keeps the drivechain quiet, as well as it being the bike I use the most so the one I'm most likely to get caught out in the rain on. Again, I re-apply a drop or two every week or so but it does pick up dust/muck pretty quick so needs more of a wipe down than the dry lube before re-applying.

You might be thinking that the Finish Line lube is expensive, but you don't need to use that much and a 4oz bottle will last you ages (a 2oz bottle lasts me a couple of months or so). It's certainly much less expensive than replacing chains/cassettes/chainrings, which is something you better get used to if you continue to use GT85. Like Gussio says GT85/WD40 are not chain lubes no matter what anyone says to the contrary. Invest in some proper lube. It's worth it in the long run.
  • dilemna
    Gussio wrote:
    GT85 is not a chain lube - it is great for calipers, mechs, brake levers, etc. but no suitable for chains.

FWIW I use Finish Line Wet Lube on the commuter and White Lightening Dry Lube on the road bike. Very happy with the performance of both.

Now I have used WLCR dry lube on my traiining road bike which does not see water if I can help it. I haven't been that impressed with it TBH. I agree GT85 is not a true lube and is quite thin that is why have started this post. But in the meantime it is doing a reasonable job. I have not noticed any more wear with it than when using a lube such as WLCR dry lube. I find the transmission noise is certainly significantly reduced using GT85. I take off the chain and immerse in a small bath of GT85 then allow the excess to drip off before refitting.
  • dilemna
    System wrote:
    I use both the dry and wet Finish Line stuff. In fact, it's my preferred lube (though I have recently got a bottle of Progold to see what the fuss is all about).

The dry stuff I use on the good bike, which rarely sees the rain. One ride in the wet and you'll need to re-apply. It does keep the chain clean though, and lasts a while (weeks between applications) as long as you're not out in the wet.

The wet stuff is used on my fixed gear because it's nice and gloopy and keeps the drivechain quiet, as well as it being the bike I use the most so the one I'm most likely to get caught out in the rain on. Again, I re-apply a drop or two every week or so but it does pick up dust/muck pretty quick so needs more of a wipe down than the dry lube before re-applying.

You might be thinking that the Finish Line lube is expensive, but you don't need to use that much and a 4oz bottle will last you ages (a 2oz bottle lasts me a couple of months or so). It's certainly much less expensive than replacing chains/cassettes/chainrings, which is something you better get used to if you continue to use GT85. Like Gussio says GT85/WD40 are not chain lubes no matter what anyone says to the contrary. Invest in some proper lube. It's worth it in the long run.

Thanks for your post. Let us know how you get on with the Progold lube.
  • Don't waste your money.
    Either a. buy some spray on motorcycle chain grease from a motor factor (around£5)
    or b. mix ordinary engine oil with a bit of diesel. Very cheap.
    It's more important to keep your chain wiped clean and relubed on a regular basis (and especially after every wet ride) than what lube you use.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    alfablue wrote:
    I now use Prolink Progold after trying most of the rest and it is the best IMHO. It is very clean yet stays put in the wet without being filthy. I needed to relube only about once a week during winter commuting. Best of both worlds for all year round use. Costs around £4.50 a go for 4oz, though I bought a 16oz bottle after establishing it was the best.
    +1

I've used a wet lube - which works well but gets very mucky, very quickly - and a dry lube - which didn't really work well for winter commuting. I then tried progold and it seems to tread a good middle ground. Works well year round, stays reasonably clean and doesn't need to be reapplied much more often than a full wet lube.

I even use it on the Defy 1, which is a sunny day only bike, though I'm considering trying Squirt lube at some point, if only for the comedy value of the name!

_