Advantages of 7 gears?

Stokie
Stokie Posts: 80
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
I was out yesterday with my mate who's really into bikes and has been for years and i noticed on his bike as we went on our seperate ways that he only had 7 gears, are there any advantages in only having 7 gears over 21-28 gears? if 7 are enough is it easy enough to remove the not needed ones?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no advantage. a reduced range.

for some riding where a full range of gears is not needed then it can be advantageous as a device can be fitted to the front to keep the chain on.

can be easy or hard to sort depending on what cranks you have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Stokie wrote:
    ...are there any advantages in only having 7 gears over 21-28 gears?
    There's a lot of overlap in the 21/24/28 speeds, it's best to think of them as 3 ranges of 7/8/9 gears.

For example, I only use the lowest two gears in the granny ring, 4 or 5 in the middle ring and maybe one or two in the big ring. A cassette with 8/9 speeds on its own would be OK for me but there could be problems with chainline.
  • Stokie
    Cheers nicklouse,

I dont really use all the gears i have only seem to use them when im getting up some speed and blasting down a bank, i could easily become bone and just roll down the banks. So in your opinion would you keep the full range of gears or loose them and stick to just 7 :?:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what i sugest is put the chain on the middle ring and see how it goes. do you have a low enough gear for climbing. do you have a high enough gear for going fast.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stokie
    Thanks for the help guys i will give it a try when im out on it tomorrow :D