Leave panniers on or take them off on the ferry?

CyclepathToHell
CyclepathToHell Posts: 133
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi. I was just interested in what you guys do. I have done both. Sometimes I leave them on to keep some distance between my bike and anyone else's that it might get lashed to.

This year I've got 4 very heavy ones and I'm wondering if it's better to take them off and to my cabin. Would the heavy weight maybe make the bike more inclined to swing about and perhaps fall?
Despite the guy saying he'd take care of it, one time I came down to find my bike on the floor and a bit bashed.

Any thoughts? Does it really matter whether I leave em on or take them upstairs?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    How about taking a luggage strap to lash you bike to an object - last time I was on a ferry there was a rail around the side of the vehicle deck.
  • There's usually plenty of rope on board to lash it to the rail. Only time there has ever been a problem has been if there is some group cycle tour on the same sailing
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    IME of ferrys, Portsmouth to Le Harve and Harwich to Hook, there has been a rail for you to attach the bike to usually with a bunjee cord. On the Harwich service the bikes and motorbikes were below the car deck and maybe the waterline. They say to secure the bike but not lock it to the side.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    My answer is a "PacSafe"

1963_50_1570_50_1590_anti-theft.jpg

Although designed for rucksacks the 140 size will envelop the rear of a bike including the wheel and then "cinch in" to the rack and rear chainstays preventing removal..... and the loose wire of the "draw cord" van be used to secure the bike to a rail or similar

A minute or so to put on or remove, and an excellent deterrent for oportunists. I dare say a good quality bolt cropper would make short work of this, but that is not a weapon carried by the type of thief after bags on a ferry
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • So you guys leave them on the bike when sailing.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I tend to carry my valuables and "needed" stuff in the front panniers and then leave the rear on permananently. WHether on a ferry, train or parked outside a pub or site of interest
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Leave them on and take personal responsibility for securing the bike to the ship.

I use the bar bag for valuables and daily necessities and take it off wherever I stop. Mine has a shoulder strap and an outer pocket so it makes a practical manbag off the bike.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    Leave some on to stop the bike being scraped by other bikes. Take a bungee - you won't regret it - better than a horrible thick rope soaked in oil & bilgewater...
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    If it's an overnight crossing ie. i have a cabin, i like to take my bags with me, i then have access to my toiletries and have a change of clothes to hand.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    was on the liverpool-belfast crossing a couple of weeks ago and saw someones bike being loaded onto the ferry. It was put on a small trailer type thing and towed onto the ferry by a landrover - the trailer actually got airborne at one point, the panniers on the bike did well to remain attached!
  • MajorPayne
    MajorPayne Posts: 100
    Hey guys,

Bit off topic but I thought a good opportunity to ask about Bike trailers like this model on eBay I've purchased only the other day eBays Item number: 230347335270 are they able to be secured along with your bikes on ferry trips?

Or would it be better to un-hook it and use it like one of them walking luggage thing you see people wondering around with in air-port terminals and leave the bike stored in the hold?

Sorry it's a bit off-topic but thought of it while I was reading about what you guys do with your panneirs? Also wanted to ask as I'm going to have a trailer with weight in it I was thinking of skipping the rear panniers in favour of the front models to distribute the weight a little bit better.

Kind regards,
    MajorPayne

I'm a major payne in the rear an so's my saddle! Gotta love the local bike, innit!

The Phillips Phantom http://tinypic.com/a/x10g/2
    The Raleigh ACE! http://i31.tinypic.com/25fhzcn.jpg
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Always left panniers on the bike when it's on the car deck and never had a problem. I usually have a small stock of bungees and toe straps for emergency use and use them for securing the bike to the rail that surrounds the car deck. It's a good idea to use a toe strap to hold the front brake lever on so the bike's less likely to roll away.

Obviously take valuables (money, camera, passport etc) with you in (say) a bar bag and anything you may need overnight on a long crossing.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster