Anyone bought a Dolan Mythos recently?

paul1234
paul1234 Posts: 6
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Has anyone recently purchased a Dolan Mythos through the Halfords cycle to work scheme? Mine just arrived today. Once I got it home and out of the box I realised it has 105 groupset and some no brand calipers as opposed to the full Ultegra groupset advertised on the Dolan Italian Solutions website (and as per numerous posts by previous Mythos customers on forums).

I would like to check if this is the current usual standard spec before I start any complaining to Halfords....

Cheers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    How much did you pay for it?
  • paul1234
    £1000 of Halfords Cycle to Work Vouchers.
  • Anonymous
    You need to speak to them!!!!

It should be full Ultegra...
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 687
    Never realised that the Dolan Mythos was available through the Halfords scheme. Am getting sick of waiting for my Boardman team carbon. How long did you have to wait and which branch did you get it from?
    Thanks
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    For £1,000 it should be 105?:

http://www.dolan-bikes.co.uk/mythos.html
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Nowhere on the OFFICIAL Dolan Bikes UK Ltd (www.dolan-bikes.co.uk) website does it specify that the 2009 spec includes Ultegra

2009 Spec, which was actually in place since late 2008 is -

FRAME - Dolan 12K Full Carbon Fibre
    FORK - Dolan 12K Carbon Fork/Alloy steering tube
    HANDLEBAR - Deda Big Piega
    STEM - Deda Quattro Oversize
    SEAT POST - Alpina Carbon
    GROUPSET - Shimano R600 10spd (Compact 50/34)
    WHEELS - Mavic Askium Race

This Bike also includes Shimano 105 STI, Front + Rear Mech, Bottom Bracket and Chain

Retailers like ourselves and Formby are all able to build bikes up to custom specs, such as Campag Veloce, Record, Shimano 105 Full, Ultegra, even SRAM whatever you need, however the standard 'off-the-shelf' spec is the above

If you have any questions feel free to email andrew@velodrome.org.uk and I will answer them on behalf of Dolan Bikes UK Ltd

http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk - Track Cycling Shop from Velodrome.org.uk - Casco, Bont Shoes, Dolan, Campag, Reflex Nutrition, Sugino and more
    http://www.sportstrainingsolutions.com - Cycling and Sports Therapy in Mallorca
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    The standard spec shows Groupset as R600? Is this a typo?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Took some finding but here's the spec when bought via Italian Solutions

http://www.italian-solutions.co.uk/prod ... ctid=16144

I.e. Ultegra

Did you ask Halfords to purchase via IS or just presume they would?
    If the former then I guess you do have a leg to stand on...

Either way you've got a great bike, but obviously you'd prefer Ultegra.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    That looks like a bit of a bargain.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I thought Italian Solutions was Dolan bikes?
    They certainly seem to share a phone number.??
  • juankerr
    That looks like a bit of a bargain.

That's what the OP thought too I should imagine....
  • Anonymous
    It says quite clearly on the italian solutions website that it should be Ultegra...
  • juankerr
    But it says quite clearly on the Dolan website that it should be 105....

So did the OP...

A) Ask Halfords to buy him a Dolan Mythos, which normally comes with 105 and probably came from Dolan.
    B) Specify the Ultegra-equipped Italian Solutions machine?

I'm on tenter-hooks.... My moneys on A)
  • Anonymous
    Italian Solutions is Dolan...

Do a google search on Dolan and it comes up with Italian Solutions. Ring Dolan and they answer 'italian solutions'...
  • juankerr
    Yeah I know but what I wrote still holds true.... Dixons, Currys, PCWorld shops and Internet sites are "all the same business" but this doesn't stop them advertising products at different prices and refusing to pricematch internally.

I do remember months ago there was a posting saying the the Mythos came with 105 but if you ordered it via Italian Soltuons you got an Upgrade to Ultegra.
  • paul1234
    I spoke to Halfords cycle to work this morning and they told me I
    do have the correct current spec (they contacted Dolan). When initially enquiring about the spec of the bike through Halfords they said to contact or visit the website of Italian solutions (this is where the bike would come from) . I typed "Italian Solutions Dolan Mythos" into google and the first link is page with the Ultegra spec. and costing £1000. However according to Italian Solutions/Dolan this specification is now out of date.

I'm happy with the bike itself and it still is excellent value - the frame looks well finished etc, , although I feel a little dissapointed not to get that deal.
  • paul1234
    Halfords will presumably get a cut so perhaps they have to reduce the spec to keep the total still under £1000 (maximum you can spend on cycle to work)
  • user321
    user321 Posts: 50
    Never realised that the Dolan Mythos was available through the Halfords scheme. Am getting sick of waiting for my Boardman team carbon. How long did you have to wait and which branch did you get it from?
    Thanks

May I ask how long you've been waiting for your Boardman Team Carbon? Did you order for home delivery?
  • paul1234
    Ordered the bike from Halfords 22nd May, arrived at a local store - Glasgow Braehead - yesterday.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 687
    Ordered mine in the middle of March; spoke to H/O today and they told me that it'll be another 5 weeks until it arrives. Dolan's looking like the new favourite at the moment.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'm amazed that Dolan can supply an Ultegra equipped bike at £1000!
    My Dolan Hercules with Ultegra SL came in at about £1300 last April, and that was when Ultegra was fairly cheap - compared to today's prices.
  • user321
    dodgy wrote:

They can't - it's 105 :lol:
  • user321
    Ordered mine in the middle of March; spoke to H/O today and they told me that it'll be another 5 weeks until it arrives. Dolan's looking like the new favourite at the moment.

Madness :( I see that home delivery isn't even an option now so they must finally be updating the site to reflect their ability to provide...
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    paul1234 wrote:
    When initially enquiring about the spec of the bike through Halfords they said to contact or visit the website of Italian solutions (this is where the bike would come from)

Then the spec you got from Italian solutions is the spec Halfords are contracted to deliver.
    paul1234 wrote:
    I typed "Italian Solutions Dolan Mythos" into google and the first link is page with the Ultegra spec. and costing £1000. However according to Italian Solutions/Dolan this specification is now out of date.

That's neither here nor there. The spec you ordered is the one you should get.
    paul1234 wrote:
    I'm happy with the bike itself and it still is excellent value - the frame looks well finished etc, , although I feel a little dissapointed not to get that deal.

You are entitled to that deal though, so consider pushing it.
    I notice that Italian Solutions have pulled that webpage since this thread went up. In the google cache, it's still showing as 10 speed ultegra throughout for £1000 on 29 May 2009 20:52:13 GMT
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Halfords and their Boardman Carbon bike are a waste of time in my opinion. I would forget it and go elsewhere.

Rubbish bike preparation and customer service, rubbish delivery times ,rubbish rear wheels on the bike and borderline brakes.
    It's just another bike.
    There are loads of others out there.
    I don't care how great the frame is. The full package does not inspire confidence.

I thought about getting one for a brief moment ,but moved on.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    user321 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

They can't - it's 105 :lol:

It probably is, but that's not what the various sources are saying!
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Then the spec you got from Italian solutions is the spec Halfords are contracted to deliver.

But surely a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on :wink: