What energy bar / gels / drinks

2»

Comments

• shogunsteve
    shogunsteve Posts: 209
    I've not seen any specific research but pubmed is worth checking.

Specific research can also be manipulated to suit so I prefer going with real world data, as in try it for yourself. Been using CM and BA for maybe 2 years now with good effect.

I like to see real data from genuine labs and PUBMED usually offers this albeit with some sensible interpretation of results.

What do you reckon to this:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/formulas/mp- ... pump-(750g)/
  • militiacore
    militiacore Posts: 101
    Creapure isn't a bad product but I don't see the point of including Di Arginine Malate where AAKG would be far superior and the lack of Beta Alanine sticks out a little. I guess it is more of a formula for a smaller budget so in this sense it works quite well. I also would prefer control over the carb content but this is a personal thing.

At the moment I'm using this stuff:

http://www.bulksupplementsdirect.co.uk/ ... oaded.html

This works really well with the ingredients thought out and gives a surprising energy boost over a good 90min-120min period. I like the Beta Alanine and Citrulline Malate combination and AAKG as the NO2 agent. Also D Ribose is an excellent prelonged energy source without messing with blood glucose levels as it acts directly with ATP cycle so no sudden blowing up.

Only downside is that it seems to ne more Weight Training orientated so only comes unflavoured but a little bit of squash or juice soon fixes that.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • shogunsteve
    Creapure isn't a bad product but I don't see the point of including Di Arginine Malate where AAKG would be far superior and the lack of Beta Alanine sticks out a little. I guess it is more of a formula for a smaller budget so in this sense it works quite well. I also would prefer control over the carb content but this is a personal thing.

At the moment I'm using this stuff:

http://www.bulksupplementsdirect.co.uk/ ... oaded.html

This works really well with the ingredients thought out and gives a surprising energy boost over a good 90min-120min period. I like the Beta Alanine and Citrulline Malate combination and AAKG as the NO2 agent. Also D Ribose is an excellent prelonged energy source without messing with blood glucose levels as it acts directly with ATP cycle so no sudden blowing up.

Only downside is that it seems to ne more Weight Training orientated so only comes unflavoured but a little bit of squash or juice soon fixes that.

I actually ordered the 750g Creapump and 100g of Beta Alanine (total £17 which I thought I would mix myself
    There is some other stuff I discovered last night but it has immense amounts of caffeine in it!! :shock: https://www.musclecharge.com/store/beas ... 0caps.html and the 10 capsules before a ride seem out of the question.

Probably give the BSD a shot next time and see, though the price is pretty high.

MYprotein do actually offer a customiser service (oops DID) so might create my own.
  • militiacore
    I actually ordered the 750g Creapump and 100g of Beta Alanine (total £17 which I thought I would mix myself
    There is some other stuff I discovered last night but it has immense amounts of caffeine in it!! :shock: https://www.musclecharge.com/store/beas ... 0caps.html and the 10 capsules before a ride seem out of the question.

Probably give the BSD a shot next time and see, though the price is pretty high.

MYprotein do actually offer a customiser service (oops DID) so might create my own.

I like to keep away from caffeine where possible as over time it leads to adrenal fatigue which will hamper energy levels, sleeping patterns and increase cortisol levels which will increase you ability to hold onto body fat.

The BSD product is priced quite high in comparison to Creapump but then when you take into account the ingredients, espcially AAKG and D Ribose which are expensive on their own, it's pretty economical and ends up being superior in it's performance.

With the customiser unless you're planning to buy in bulk, say 500g or more per ingredient, then it'll work out fairly pricey too. I've done a lot of ground work and playing with difference ingredients and ratios and found the BSD product the closest to what I found worked well while still cost efficient. To be significantly cheaper I'd be purchasing ingredients in 1kg quantities so the £30 a tub price suddenly doesn't seem so bad.

Going a little off topic another excellent peformance supplement is OKG (L Ornithine Alpha Keto Gluterate), but again it's a question of expense and how far you want to take things. I don't know if it's been used in Cycling as yet but it's been very successful within the Rugby circles for a few years.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • shogunsteve

I like to keep away from caffeine where possible as over time it leads to adrenal fatigue which will hamper energy levels, sleeping patterns and increase cortisol levels which will increase you ability to hold onto body fat.

The BSD product is priced quite high in comparison to Creapump but then when you take into account the ingredients, espcially AAKG and D Ribose which are expensive on their own, it's pretty economical and ends up being superior in it's performance.

With the customiser unless you're planning to buy in bulk, say 500g or more per ingredient, then it'll work out fairly pricey too. I've done a lot of ground work and playing with difference ingredients and ratios and found the BSD product the closest to what I found worked well while still cost efficient. To be significantly cheaper I'd be purchasing ingredients in 1kg quantities so the £30 a tub price suddenly doesn't seem so bad.

Going a little off topic another excellent peformance supplement is OKG (L Ornithine Alpha Keto Gluterate), but again it's a question of expense and how far you want to take things. I don't know if it's been used in Cycling as yet but it's been very successful within the Rugby circles for a few years.

Good points....how long does the tub last you, or to put it another way how are you using it; pre / post / during?

Not heard of OKG...but it most definitely seems to be highly rated. I have ordered some!

Thanks for the info, most valuable.
  • militiacore
    Good points....how long does the tub last you, or to put it another way how are you using it; pre / post / during?

Not heard of OKG...but it most definitely seems to be highly rated. I have ordered some!

Thanks for the info, most valuable.

They recommend a loading period pre and post for 3-4 days I think which leaves about 30 servings pre after that so just depends on training frequency as to how long it'll last but at least 5 weeks worth. Use BSD7 voucher code to get 5% off any order with them as well which is a nice touch.

OKG is definately worth a go and you'll notice good strength and stamina/endurance gains both in the gym and with CV. For dosing I'd start on at least 6g daily and split this post and before bed as these are the most crucial timings. 10g is a good dose but depends on cost as you'll go through more. I've been up as high as 16g as there's meant to be an optimum dose of 175mg per kg body weight and had this split into 4g dosages; morning, pre, post and before bed.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX